Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

An easy-to-read, illuminating dissection of the Conservative lie about our 'crippling' national debt.

Well worth a few minutes of your time.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

I'm glad to see this thread lay fallow for long periods, because it means everything is okay.

So okay that Donald Trump is just chilling now, quoting Dragonforce lyrics during press conferences.

TordelBack

But surely if these are WMDs that can target our cities in (say) 45 minutes, the west is morally obligated to invade and institute regime change... I thought that's how it works.  Isn't that how it works?

Cheeses H Crust though, at 37% approval that orange shitfuck needs to wave his tiny cock at someone, and it clearly isn't going to be Putin.  Terrifying to be in the miniscule hands of two egomaniacal people you wouldn't let run the bric-a-brac stall at the parish fete.

DaveGYNWA

Peas sell. But who's Brian?

The Legendary Shark

Not one shred of proof one way or the other in that article, just lots of assessments and opinions. You'd think the CIA or MI6 or any number of the west's supposedly shit-hot intelligence agencies would have more than that to offer. Some kind of proof, perhaps?

This strikes me as same shit, different day - leaders stirring up trouble to keep us all afraid and justify their position as our "protectors."

It is interesting to note that, while western leaders froth at the mouth over North Korea, President of South Korea, Kim, Dae-jung, has recommenced pursuit of his country's "Sunshine Policy" towards NK which was derailed earlier this century by (surprise, surprise) the United States.

Will our politicians back this peaceful, co-operative approach to normalising relations between NK and the rest of the world or will they side with Trump in his ceaseless search for bogeymen?

I reckon they'll side with Trump because the more peaceful the world, the less we need "leaders."

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 August, 2017, 07:52:58 AM
I reckon they'll side with Trump because the more peaceful the world, the less we need "leaders."

I reckon you reckon right. We all work/live with these types of people: create a crisis that disrupts everything, strut around pissing on everyone for a bit, announce that either (a). you and only you have solved the crisis, or that (b). 'others' have prevented you solving it. Then go play golf.

The Legendary Shark

Eek - someone agreed with me!

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 August, 2017, 11:44:04 PM
Quote from: SIP on 08 August, 2017, 08:57:23 PM
The world is ending! The world is ending!

Mods: please move this to the Political Thread.

Aaaaahh... Normality returns! :D

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Here we go again.  I refuse to accept that there is any hypocrisy in a liberal or a leftie stating that Nazis should be consistently silenced and mercilessly driven from the streets. I would as soon afford cholera or typhus the dignity of a public platform.  The last time we had this 'debate', 60 million people* died - and they didn't even win that time.  Stamp on them hard, no hesitation, no equivocation, no excuses. And if the arse in the White House could experience that emotion, shame on him.

*That's out of just over 2 billion people globally in 1939. The same relative proportion of the 2017 population would be 220 million. 

Hawkmumbler

'Drops the mic'

Zero tolerance for nazism, bigotry, or white nationalism and supremacy. Just fucking stamp it out right now.

Rately

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 August, 2017, 12:35:37 AM
Here we go again.  I refuse to accept that there is any hypocrisy in a liberal or a leftie stating that Nazis should be consistently silenced and mercilessly driven from the streets. I would as soon afford cholera or typhus the dignity of a public platform.  The last time we had this 'debate', 60 million people* died - and they didn't even win that time.  Stamp on them hard, no hesitation, no equivocation, no excuses. And if the arse in the White House could experience that emotion, shame on him.

*That's out of just over 2 billion people globally in 1939. The same relative proportion of the 2017 population would be 220 million. 
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 14 August, 2017, 09:06:45 AM
'Drops the mic'

Zero tolerance for nazism, bigotry, or white nationalism and supremacy. Just fucking stamp it out right now.

Couldn't agree more.

Identify them. Shame them. Treat them with the contempt and vile that they happily dish out to others.

Someone identifies you from a photograph, you lose your job? Cry about it? Fuk off. You don't deserve a job, or to be able to interact with decent people.

Zero tolerance.

Seeing them run off by people of all colours and religions is deeply satisfying, and makes me hopeful for the future of America.

Rately

:-[

Apologies for the swearing, folks! Got a little worked up.

Theblazeuk

Prodigal2

I have already posted about my youthful dalliance with the extreme right and so hesitate to post anything that might reek of a softly softly approach-but having worked within the territory of attitudinal change in Northern Ireland (and with some experience of working with international groups in a similiar field) I also think that additional approaches need to happen (where at all possible) than driving them off the streets as understandable a reaction as that might be.

My attitudes were changed by brilliant people talking to me and by engagement. I recognise however that is not always possible.

The above should not be interpreted as some passive, insipid approach. The response should be multi-faceted and robust and legislative responses, protest etc should be part of that.

The Legendary Shark

Well said, Prodigal. I find this "it's okay to punch a Nazi" idea to be hypocritical, distasteful and dangerous. As you say, it's not always possible but reason and talk should always be the first, best solution.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Nazi's don't inderstand reason, people calling for ethnic and racial cleansing are not on the same level as reactionary violence in defence of civil rights.