Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

robert_ellis

'Independent Operators' was heavy going. Ugh! It's nice to see early Hairsine, Jim Murray has style & Sampson gets better as the story goes on. I'm amazed so much Harmony was commissioned - I just can't find anything interesting in the story.

teckno viking

'Mutants in MC1' was great to read those stories again. As first time i read them, enjoyed seeing again.

'Independant Operators', alas not a fan of that issue between art and stories just not resonating with me.

I cannot wait for the 'Krysler's Mark' & 'Famous Monsters' issues though.

abelardsnazz

I thought Harmony started well but then got bogged down when the action moved to Uranium City and it never recovered. O'Rork I just found odd which is perhaps why it didn't continue. A ho-hum volume.

Jade Falcon

Independent Operators, definitely not one on my favourite list.  Maybe I'll think different in a reread.  The trouble seemed to be that the stories were too, for lack of a better word, chaotic combined with the art style.

O'Rork, I just gave up on as I couldn't get into it at all.

Kreeler Conspiracy, this was all new stuff for me.  The story with Moon showed a darker side to the Mutant Struggle and how much of a total git he was. 
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

marko10174

robert_ellis

marko10174

I wonder why they don't release them in chronological order? they released the first book in tour of duty last. It's like the Anderson and Missionary man books, those stories are all over the place, to the point where I have to keep switching from book to book to read the stories chronologically.

robert_ellis

The order has been cynical and a major negative for this series. Not seeing Chopper before Oz, releasing the Doomsday volumes months apart, Armitage book 1 is yet to come out. It's bizarre...

IndigoPrime

Once you have the books, ToD reads fine. Shimura and Anderson are a mess though (and I understand Missionary Man jumps back and forth too).

marko10174

I picked up Shamballa first, not realising there was a massive spoiler in the first pages, so I stopped reading it. I've ordered all five Anderson JDMC books and had to refer to wiki to find the correct reading order for the stories. You literally have to keep switching from book to book to get the chronology right, which makes for a really frustrating reading experience.

EDazzling

The psi-files exist if you want a complete and chronological run of Anderson.

IndigoPrime

I think the point remains though. The Anderson books in the MC are a bit of a mess. The gaps would work better if there had been synopses between the stories, like in the Marvel collections. It's not like they lacked the same – a few paragraphs of text could have been added to the title pages.

Richard

IndigoPrime

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 October, 2017, 04:13:41 PM(I just sent a mega-gripe over to Hachette. It'll be interesting to see what response I get this time. At a minimum, I'm after three replacements, but I pointed out seven books I'm unhappy with.)
Two replacements offered, one for a the book with bad printing, and the other for a book where the pages weren't cut properly. I also noted two books with incorrect information on the rear (Heavy Metal Dredd and Into the Undercity), which were ignored entirely, two books with crushed corners (also ignored) and one that looks like it's been kicked around before sending (Total War – already a replacement, hence probably not being eligible for a second crack in their eyes, although I'm going to push for that one, I think).