Main Menu

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Started by Goaty, 07 April, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Most importantly they've fixed Vader's sticky-out neck.

Eric Plumrose

Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Professor Bear

Gotta get the ball rolling on the Special Edition release of the dvd and blu-ray, I guess.  Having read the dreadful Marvel adaptation and seen some stuff cut from the original draft, I suspect he might be ass-covering, mind.
Going by the Marvel script, characters originally had more complete arcs, especially pilot man and K2: in a nutshell, pilot man gets his brain broke by the mind molester octopus but K2 appeals to his Imperial training after they crash their spaceship on rainy planet and need a new one, so he and K2, as Imperials, infiltrate the Empire's base together to liberate the ship the Rebels later use to escape (and later still to infiltrate Scarif).  Pilot man gets to make his training count for something - a recurring arc for other characters who feel their lives were wasted on acts of terror and sabotage before their hour finally comes - because the characters couldn't have infiltrated Scarif without pilot man's Imperial background and the stolen shuttle, which to me seems a bit more structured than their just grabbing a random ship on Yavin 4, which may as well have been the case in the theatrical cut where the characters are just sort of there in an Imperial shuttle after the rainy planet bit, despite us having just seen the Rebels flatten the base.  K2 is also seen to do something seemingly altruistic (he doesn't think he needs pilot man but insists he come along anyway) without needing prompting from Cassian or the others.
Despite his relative inexperience, Gareth Jones does actually seem to know how to structure a film and make a basic plot/character arc, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and not the guy justifying a hugely inflated paycheck who was drafted in by notoriously meddling execs who've stuck their claws into every new SW film so far - though we'll probably never really know what the original film would have been like.

Steve Green

Yeah, without seeing the original cut it's a bit 'Hey it was shit before, but I saved it - what you want to see the original cut for, mine's loads better!'

I can't see Disney releasing an alternate cut, doesn't seem like the sort of thing they'd do.

Professor Bear

Certainly not if the original cut was even just passable - that would only highlight that they spent millions on unnecessary reshoots of what was always an event film whose end quality was a distant concern.  A Star Wars movie set in OT continuity and featuring Darth Vader?  It would have been harder to not make a quarter of a billion dollars.

Colin YNWA

I'll see your Solo Necro and raise you a Rogue One necro.

Watched this one again over a couple of nights and yep enjoyed this more than I remember doing. Enjoyed it enough the first time and while it still has significent problems was pretty damned fine. I loved the fact it was bold enough to be its own thing. Got over most things that I thought annoyed me about it ... most and overall really enjoyed it.

Having enjoyed both Solo and Rogue One more than I thought I would I'm now worried I'm not going to enjoy Last Jedi as much as I remember...

shaolin_monkey

Apologies if this has been posted already, or if you've seen it doing the rounds on FB, but this reaction reminded me of the swirling emotional maelstrom in my head when I saw it in the cinema:

https://youtu.be/mIe2TLPryJw

Colin YNWA

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 22 September, 2019, 10:16:35 AM
Apologies if this has been posted already, or if you've seen it doing the rounds on FB, but this reaction reminded me of the swirling emotional maelstrom in my head when I saw it in the cinema:

At least she has the courtesy not to watch in the cinema!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 22 September, 2019, 10:16:35 AM

Yeah that really brought the goosebumps back! Still remember feeling very much like that, and it was as we were waiting on the train home afterwards that I saw the news online of Carrie Fisher passing away and it really hit hard given what we'd just watched. An emotional night.

TordelBack

Rogue One is ever in the lower half of my personal cinematic Star Wars rankings*, but the ending was just the absolute business.  It serviced this fan very nicely, thank you kindly.  I'm shallow, cheaply bought, and I'm comfortable with that.

*(Today: V, IV, VI, VIII, I, Solo, VII, R1, CW, III, II)

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2019, 12:21:38 PM
(Today: V, IV, VI, VIII, I, Solo, VII, R1, CW, III, II)[/size]

What, no 'Battle for Endor' or 'Caravan of Courage'? 

TordelBack

Don't start!  (IIRC only the former had a theatrical release, which must have been blink-and-you'll-miss-it, because I did).

Tiplodocus

Mrs Tips is away so I might research this tomorrow night.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 September, 2019, 04:09:50 PM
Don't start!  (IIRC only the former had a theatrical release, which must have been blink-and-you'll-miss-it, because I did).

Limited as it was, they both got a cinema release in certain countries, but I think we Paddies only got COC.