Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Saw the Liam Neeson flick 'Taken' with the family last night.

Friends had been telling me for ages 'Aw yeah! You should see that movie! It's REALLY good!'

No it isn't. There's some cringingly lazy dialogue in the script, and DEAR GOD is it a contrived set up.

'Daddy, I want to go to Paris'

'I don't want you to go to Paris, sweetie.Something bad might happen!'

'What did you do for a job, Daddy?'

'I was a double-hard bastard and I worked for the government. In fact, I might not be able to tell you exactly what I did. because it's TOP SECRET and almost CERTAINLY entailed me killing people and blowing shit up.'

Can you guess what happens?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

vzzbux

Watched Despicable me today and want to watch it again properly without interruptions. Really enjoyed what I saw.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Van Dom

I quite liked Taken. Yeah, contrived as all hell of course but for a revenge thriller type thing it ticked all the boxes. Liam Neeson was great in it. I thought it felt like a super-violent, extreme version of an episode from an old 80s tv show,and as such enjoyed it immensely.

Despicable Me is also all kinds of brilliance.

Havent seen any new movies lately. I've somehow gotten hooked on Midsomer Murders and since all the episodes of that are movie-length, its eating into my movie-watching time. In fact, I'm off to watch another one now. Need my daily fix of 'quaint'. :)
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Richmond Clements

I think the biggest problem with Taken was the enormous amount of overt racism in it.
Everywhere that is Not America is a dangerous place full of evil dark skinned white slavers. And they're Arabs to boot!

Van Dom

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 17 July, 2011, 11:29:49 PM
I think the biggest problem with Taken was the enormous amount of overt racism in it.
Everywhere that is Not America is a dangerous place full of evil dark skinned white slavers. And they're Arabs to boot!

That's probably another reason it put me in mind of an ultra-violent, extreme version of some random 80s tv show episode!!!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

COMMANDO FORCES

Just finished watching Smokin' Aces 2 - Assassin's Ball and found it equally as mad as the first one. Vinnie Jones plays Vinnie Jones, as per the norm! The film is the same type of set up as the first one with Lazlo Soot making a welcome return alongside another batch of the insane Tremor family. Gunshots and explosions galore kept me happy for 90 minutes  :D

Followed this up with Skyline just to see how bad it was from what everyone said at the time. It had an interesting premise but I hate endings like that, so that marks the film down straight away. It's a pity because I actually enjoyed it, makes a change with such a bleak outlook but we never really know. I enjoyed the [spoiler]nuke scene[/spoiler] and it's lead up, none of that Independence Day guff. Just a pity it didn't conclude the story, probably didn't know how to really!

JamesC

Taken is like an overly complicated version of Commando with the one-liners and camp baddy removed.

John Matrix would kick Liam Neason's character down the stairs and then make a joke about it. Maybe something like:

'Where's Liam Neeson's character?'

'He's Taken a nap'.

chaingunchimp

Had a bit of a film day yesterday, watched Dead Silence a final destination film(something to do with racing?), chaw, the last ginger snaps film and Woochi the Demon Slayer
I had hyped myself up quite a lot for chaw as the trailers looked brilliant but it was a bit of a letdown.
the creature designs in both Dead Silence and Woochi where brilliant, loving the goblin bunny, brilliant.
:D
just too metal

my blog: http://chaingunchimp.blogspot.com/

For awesome original art by top comic creators please visit:

http://berserkercomicart.com/

klute

Ive just watched the nightmare on elm street reboot and whilst now the old nightmare films seem camp. The reboot just paled in comparison.

Would i recommend it ummm yeah just to say you had given it a chance BUT really its not one for the dvd collection

And just afterwards i watched halloween 2 Rob Zombies second outting........i felt angry in all honesty to much violence and not enough story imbetween for me at least. It didn't help that the female lead [spoiler]did nothing but scream and whine [/spoiler] no real hero's in this film except for me sticking it out till the end
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

SmallBlueThing

Yeah, h2 is a real disappointment after zombie's blissful stab at the remake. I dont know exactly what he was trying to do there, and even now the story seems jumbled and messy. Not sure about 'too much violence' though. I dont remember it like that at all. This talk of mr myers does make me want to watch the remake again.

Last film watched for me was Batman Returns, with the boys last night. Better than i remember it, slightly, but still the usual tim burton boringly-designed yawnfest with the usual thin story and paper characters whose motivations never convince. So much you can rip apart it almost seems unfair to do so. Burton's a talentless shyster arse and it's best to just avoid his rubbish unless forced to watch. The boys were entertained by devito as penguin, and youngest fell in love with catwoman. But even they asked what happened to batman's mascara when he rips his mask off for no reason at the end.
SBT

klute

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 23 July, 2011, 10:13:16 AM
Yeah, h2 is a real disappointment after zombie's blissful stab at the remake. I dont know exactly what he was trying to do there, and even now the story seems jumbled and messy. Not sure about 'too much violence' though. I dont remember it like that at all. This talk of mr myers does make me want to watch the remake again.

Last film watched for me was Batman Returns, with the boys last night. Better than i remember it, slightly, but still the usual tim burton boringly-designed yawnfest with the usual thin story and paper characters whose motivations never convince. So much you can rip apart it almost seems unfair to do so. Burton's a talentless shyster arse and it's best to just avoid his rubbish unless forced to watch. The boys were entertained by devito as penguin, and youngest fell in love with catwoman. But even they asked what happened to batman's mascara when he rips his mask off for no reason at the end.
SBT

Maybe were the violence was concerned i meant that it seemed that at times it was there for the sake of it MM would randomly turn up to kill some one that really played no part to the story IE [spoiler]the 2 kids in the van yeah maybe MM stumbled upon the guy but the girl was in the van out of the way and just seemed like one of the old 80's horror cliches kids having sex must die.[/spoiler]
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

SmallBlueThing

Ah, i seem to remember that was my response too: that it was a number of different films wodged togerther. It was trying to be a legitimate sequel to zombie's more realistic, psychologically-driven remake, a bizarre ghostie-show with dream women and white horses, and a very nasty eighties-style slasher, all rolled together. Didnt really work for me, but i'd have to see it again.
SBT

IAMTHESYSTEM

Jaws followed by Blade Runner. Perfect viewing a Friday night to die for.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Van Dom

Agree about H2 I think I have a post about it further back in this thread. A complete shambles and too many OTT murders just for the sake of having OTT murders --- got very bloody boring to be honest! And YES the lead 'heroine' was so damn annoying, I would have killed her myself if I could have climbed in to the telly.

Nightmare on Elm Street remake was similarly pants. Took itself way too seriously.

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

DrRocka

I've had a week off this week, so have been catching up on the mountain of back progs and stack of dvd's that have been building up over the last few months, when I clearly should have been doing something constructive.
Watched The Ghost with Pierce Brosnan and Ewan McGregor - good, but some real nonsense plot points and a bit of a cop out at the end. Recommend it, though.
Also Edge Of Darkness with Mel Gibson - again, very good, some plot holes but a nice turn by Mel.
And Little Big Man, with Dustin Hoffman. One of my favourite Westerns of all time!
Never ever bloody anything ever