Main Menu

Prog 1499 shocker!

Started by Bad Andy, 31 July, 2006, 03:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Andy

Our printers messed up.

Well it could have been worse. I'm thinking the Megazine 15 year special or the Firekind cock-up from way back.

And I've just noticed the Chopper graftiti on the 1500 ad. Intriguing.

the3rdman

apparently royal mail only picked up the subscriptions today, so thats why its late

Jim_Campbell

"apparently royal mail only picked up the subscriptions today, so thats why its late"

"Oh, Mr Postman, look and see,
If there's a Prog in your bag for me ..."

'Cause if there isn't, I'm going to beat you to death with this shoe.

Cheers

Jim

With no apologies to the Beatles.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

wadew1

I'd give the best strip to DREDD this week. Rico chases while the old man investigates. Rico was drawn way too wrinkly and old, though.

Red Seas kind of lost me near the end, but overall I enjoyed it.

Liked Kipling, but I thought it peaked last prog.

Future Shock: Interesting story, art wasn't very good.

Pete Wells

Rico? Do we finally get to see his new jaw? Grrr, the postie had better come today!

Banners

:: Rico was drawn way too wrinkly and old, though.

Yup - I had to read it twice to actually realise Rico was the guy taking the all-action approach. Still, I enjoyed doing so...!

M@

Buttonman

Cover is a bit sketchy for my tastes and the pallette a bit dull. Hopefully Prog 1500 will have a grandstand of an image and not just the big '1500' shown in the 'coming soon' ad.

Nice to see Tharg and the readership having a few kind words for Tom Frame. Hopefully the full tribute will be a fitting epitaph.

Enjoyed the Dredd and good to see Pete Doherty on art chores. Sometimes these lack of dialogue episodes seem a bit of a swizz as you read it in two minutes - not so here, three full reads to fully follow events. But I am a bit slow.

Al Ewing's future shock is his best yet and my pick of the prog. Human race as bad guys? You know it's true!

Fitting ends for Kipling and Red Seas. Happy with all the Dancer I can get although Kipling is nowhere near 'exceedingly good' in my book.

If this is filler can't wait for the main event!http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/button71/1499.jpg">

LARF

Just spoken with Denise in subs, 'cos I had to change my details, and she said that Royal Mail did not pick up on Friday so the Prog went out late.

Told her to make sure it didn't happen with 1500 :-)

She's lovely x

Floyd-the-k

the cover is at least interesting

my prog might be waiting for me now...

(one freezing expedition to the mailbox later)

it is!  Yoincks! I do like the cover

IndigoPrime

Call me odd, but I rather liked seeing the comic strip on the back page again! Ah, nostalgia.

Bolt-01

Wow!

What a good prog. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

No need for more comments.

Bolt-01

opaque

Cover - Doesn't grow on me

Dredd: Amazingly good writing with an excelent ending bit from the SJS judges

Future Shocks - Again absolutely amazing

Red Seas - Actually really liked the ending. I thought overall it was something that would read miles better in a GN.
Love the Mars joke.

Harry Kipling - Sorry totally lost me, whats going on in this last part?

The Amstor Computer

Nice comments from Tharg about Tom Frame, and a nice pair of letters from the board.

Cover is gorgeous - always a pleasure to see Dom producing colour work.

Dredd -- slightly wonky art aside, this is a nice little tale and yet another indication that Si Spurrier is beginning to get to grips with Dredd in a way that other droids haven't managed.

Future Shocks -- a nasty, cynical piece & one of my favourite Shocks in a long time. Nice work, Al. Art is nice enough, if not to my taste, but someone fucked up pages 3 and 4 quite badly. There've been quite a few dodgy pages in recent progs - from memory there's this, a couple of sections of London Falling, one of the early episodes of the current Red Seas plus one or two others - and I hope whatever the problem is gets sorted promptly.

The Red Seas -- a solid conclusion to this latest adventure, with a fun cameo from some alien friends. I think it's perhaps time for another couple of short stories as a breather before the next major adventure, as the characters have been getting swamped by the spectacle.

Harry Kipling -- good fun, but I'd have to ask for exactly the opposite of what I want from The Red Seas: a longer adventure for Harry & co.

On a layout/design note, I actually think that the  printing slip-up here worked quite well. Running the strip on the back page in this case didn't harm the flow of the story, and it freed up space inside for the - accidental - double ad. Even the double ad itself works quite nicely, and if it had been considered, a spread advertising prog 1500 would have been ideal - plenty of room for preview pics & blurb & it gives the feeling that "This Prog Is An Event".

I've said this before, but I've felt for a while that the prog too easily falls into a rhythm of having a certain number of stories, taking up a certain number of pages, with adverts placed here & the requisite Meg ad placed there... It would be nice to see more shake-ups - supercovers, pin-ups, back-cover stories, readers art, centre-page ad spreads - to give some surprise to each week's issue.

Good prog, though, and surprisingly good given that it leads into a Big Number Issue - this is usually the place for dumping the fag-ends and filler!

Trout

The future shock was the best part of the prog for me, this week. Ewing is evil and sick.
In a good way.

I enjoyed the rest, although The Red Seas lost its way a bit, with the sheer extent of the science fiction stuff. Didn't this used to be a pirate story?

Kipling was great, again.

As for the Dredd... I did moan that poor old Si was over-writing his stuff, with too much dialogue and voiceover, and now we have the other extreme.

I enjoyed it a lot, even if it took two reads to work out which judge was which.
That's the trouble with clones... ;-)

Overall, a damn fine prog for a pre-event issue.

- Trout