Main Menu

Prog 1784 - Rex on Fire

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 19 May, 2012, 12:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 23 May, 2012, 11:52:32 AM
Dredd needs nothing more said about it but the rest of the Prog just pure disappointment.

Sounds like the creeping nerco's got beyond the arm
DDT did a job on me

SmallBlueThing

I wasnt going to review the prog this week, largely because i could find so little to say that was positive. Then i realised that was completely against everything i believe and uphold, so here goes:

Good cover. Dinos on fire are always a striking image. Technically well drawn, if generic.

Dredd: Progressed the story not one millimeter and promised an 'interlude' next week! An interlude? From what? For weeks now we've been watching the city burn and judges shoot citizens as a virus goes wild. Look, i know there's more to it than that, but ive ceased to be able to tell anyone apart, or follow it, or anything. Wagner's obviously moving towards a massive event that'll change the status quo for a bit... but please, get on with it!

Flesh looked a bit scrappy this week.

Now zilk is over, i could read it all in one go- i wonder if i will.

Anderson is one of the worst things to have been in the prog this decade. Horribly written and drawn, i just want it gone.

And the terror tale, or whatever it was,(cont)

SmallBlueThing

(cont) was quite close to being effective- i liked the idea of the empty suit- but was a little too dense for the space allowed. And the art worked against it at times, notably in the depiction of the fox thing, which (for me at least) wasnt creepy enough.

So all in all, a pants-prog. We get them from time to time. Onward, ever onward.

SBT

Zarjazzer

Treading water prog, nice cover, Dredd a bit of a grind, we'v seen all these bits apart from the jolly mecha, Flesh was okay as was Anderson, I enjoyed the Terror Tales much more than most it seems but it seemed rather short alas, Zilk was well, bonkers but bright.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

metcalfecarr

Thought the cover was average.  There's a trend with Marshall's covers at the minute of them just being big head shots.  The text was too big as well so we got even less of the image making it less interesting.

Dredd - excellent on all levels, even the colouring.

Flesh - best episode yet, but that still made it tosh.

Zaucer of Zilk - a really good series in the classic tooth tradition.  Completely bonkers stuff, and I liked the way it was openly a comic in the narration.

Terror Tale - Wasn't impressed and without IndigoPrime's prior post and explanation of Kisume I wouldn't have a clue.  Don't like Mark Harrison's art, too reminiscent of his over reliance on green from Glimmer Rats, a story I couldn't follow at all.

Anderson - enjoyed the simplicity of this and Yeowell improved in spades this issue.  The colouring is really nice too.

Dave
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

Dark Jimbo

Dredd is still utterly awesome (if I might use that tired americanism), and really is worth the cover price alone. SBT's mouth is full of wrong. I'm astounded that anyone could be not enjoying this.

Flesh is better now than during it's mid-series nadir, but I heaved a heavy sigh on the last page. 'Gorehead's dead, isn't he? Yes, he must be. Nobody could survive that.' Oh for God's sake, of course he isn't dead. Does anybody really believe that?! It's so inevitable that both he (and the reptoids) will be back next series in 'shock' returns that it's painful, as is the characters' moronic decision not to check for a body given that he's already made two 'shock' ressurections in as many series.

Zaucer was great. I can't tell you how much more I enjoyed it because of the lack of a 'Book I' subtitle. I'd certainly like to see a few more unique one-off serials.

The Terror Tale was... odd, but atmospheric and enjoyable. Where horror's concerned there's certainly a place for a certain open-ended ambiguity, as Mike Mignola's ouvredemonstrates so well (as does our own Cradlegrave). Magnificent art, certainly - Mark Harrison certainly shows Clint Langley how to best fuse the CG stuff with a more traditionally 'comic' style.

Cadet Anderson is still a dull trudge. It's utterly pedestrian on all levels - nothing about it justifies being set in the past, or being about Anderson. We've learnt nothing about the character or city that we didn't already know. There's absolutely no flair in either script or art, no sense that either creator is doing more than going through the motions. Only the colours are worthy of any note. There's often a plea for a flashback series set during Dredd's early years - this is why there should never be one.
@jamesfeistdraws

ming

Now Zaucer's over, I think it stands up really well on its own two feet (atop fancypants-clad legs, naturally).  The story has a beginning, a middle and an end, was madly inventive throughout and didn't outstay its welcome.  I can't recall the last time I saw a series so different* to anything else in the Prog, yet still a perfect fit with the traditions of the comic.  I'm obviously a McCarthy nut anyway, but I really did enjoy this one.  Hopefully Al and Brendan are happy with how it turned out and had fun in the process.

* Stickleback, probably.

Hoagy

I have a query concerning Dredd. Page 1: Caption; Choas Day, Minus 1.

Then he meets Beeny at midnight. At the end of the episode it is still Chaos Day Minus one and it's time is 13:47 or something in that hour?

Anyone else notice this? Am I wrong in thinking I've missed something here?

Oh, kudos on the tarantula in a ball, too.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Dark Jimbo

Simple -they start assualting Sam Wannamaker (last prog) during the evening of Chaos Day minus 2. While they're at it the clock ticks past midight into Chaos Day minus 1.
@jamesfeistdraws

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Dandontdare

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 24 May, 2012, 09:49:23 AM
Wagner's obviously moving towards a massive event that'll change the status quo for a bit... but please, get on with it!

I really don't understand this. The 'massive event' is already happening, and has been for weeks now (or two days strip-time!) - I mean burning city, plague, dark judges, riots, anarchy, - jeez, what more are you expecting? The usal complaint with these mega epics is that after all the build up, they get resolved far too quickly, but not this time. Perosnally, I could read this for months to come, I pore over every episode. Top Dredd.

As for the rest, Zaucer has been great fun, anyone who's been skipping it has missed a treat. Just the right length too, I don't think it would have sustained the amsuement levels over a longer period. And even if you don't like the premise, the story or the characters; just look at the sumptious pictures!

Flesh has it's moments but I don't think the script or art are of prog-quality.

Enjoyed the terror tale, but I got a bit confused over what had happened to the friend. A worthy effort, but not 100% successful as a narrative.

I don't hate Cadet Anderson as much as some, but it could be better. The story's is okay if unremarkable. I do sometimes have trouble working out which one is Cass under those helmets, there's very little about it that says "Anderson" to me. And I think Yeowell's art works better on non-futuristic and b/w strips. I didn't used to likee his art, but Red Seas really grew on me. This one, not so much.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 24 May, 2012, 01:06:09 PM
SBT's mouth is full of wrong. I'm astounded that anyone could be not enjoying this.

After slapping my forehead with dis-believing frustration at SBT's wrong opinions on multiple occasions, I've devised a system to deal with his comments; It helps if you imagine SBT to be a denizen of Bizarro world where shit films/comics/TV shows etc. are seen as important works of art, and good films/comics/TV shows etc. are scorned and derided.

With very few exceptions, the illusion is watertight. If it wasn't for our mutual love of the Steam Powered Wanking Gauntlet and its amazing restorative properties, we'd have very little in common.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

TordelBack

Quote from: Lee Bates on 24 May, 2012, 03:40:25 PMIt helps if you imagine SBT to be a denizen of Bizarro world where shit films/comics/TV shows etc. are seen as important works of art, and good films/comics/TV shows etc. are scorned and derided.

The problem with this approach is that on occasion you will find yourself in complete agreement with Steev, like I am with his opinions on Flesh, and you'll realise just how sharp his judgement can be. And then you're you're fecked. 

You'll be sitting there open mouthed and sweating as you thrill to the latest incredible episode of DoC, and a little voice will say "SBT thinks this is like swimming through treacle".  You'll try to dismiss it, but you'll remember that  the Small Blue Voice though this week's dinoriffic Flesh was magnificent, just like you did, and doubts will start to creep in.

Spaceghost

Quote from: TordelBack on 24 May, 2012, 04:20:36 PM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 24 May, 2012, 03:40:25 PMIt helps if you imagine SBT to be a denizen of Bizarro world where shit films/comics/TV shows etc. are seen as important works of art, and good films/comics/TV shows etc. are scorned and derided.

The problem with this approach is that on occasion you will find yourself in complete agreement with Steev, like I am with his opinions on Flesh, and you'll realise just how sharp his judgement can be. And then you're you're fecked.

Like I said, the illusion is almost watertight. There are bound to be a few anomalies.

In the case you state it's quite simple; you're both wrong about Flesh.

See? No problem!
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SmallBlueThing

No, no, no, tordleback, please! I never, ever, mean to hamper anyone's enjoyment of anything. My opinions are my own (and will often change when someone says something smart or funny about something id written off) and i would hate it if anyone thought anything other than 'that's what HE thinks- and i agree/dont agree'. Im not trying to get people to dislike DoC- sneckin funt, i'd rather have this than sonny steelgrave or helter skelter (which i caught eldest reading the other night and literally went cold) im just not loving it as much as many seem to be. But then, i dont like dredd (the strip) as much as many here- it's not, and never has, been my reason for being a squaxx. If you're a dreddhead like cf or pete wells (block? Residential home? Asylum?) then yeah, this one's for you baby, knock yerself out! But it's not doing quite the same for me. Im not as invested in it, perhaps.

But please mr back, pay me no attention. Like a monkey with a broken cock, i can fling cummy shit at the target twice a day!