Main Menu

Red Fang

Started by broodblik, 13 August, 2018, 06:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Red Fang was original published in Prog 1200-1201 and reprinted in Meg #356.

The story setting is a futuristic world where we the Mafia vs the Triad. The basic premises is Sleeping Dragon Fang (the main character) complicated scheme to take control and seize power.

For me the highlight of the story is Steve Yeowell art and complemented with coloring by Chris Blythe. His work here is some of the best I have seen Steve do. The writer here is the late Steve Moore.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

See when you sum it up like that - "The basic premise is Sleeping Dragon Fang (the main character)'s complicated scheme to take control and seize power" - it makes the strip sound better than I remember it actually being in execution. For my tastes, the 'complicated' part was a bit drawn out, and the police detective caught up in the middle of it all didn't add enough charm. Although as complicated schemes to seize power go, Red Fang has nothing on Necrophim!

Yeowell's art was good, though, although I'm one of those who prefers his stuff in black and white. I recall the red being well handled, which is obviously important as the colour is in the title of the strip!

TordelBack

The highlight for me remains the extensive range of polished hardwood textures that Chris Blythe employed, never since equalled (thank Grud!). 

More seriously, Red Fang always seemed like it should work, it just never really did.  An original enough premise (for 2000AD), a intriguingly villainous lead, sharp designs (I can still visualise the characters today, and I'm fairly sure I've not read it in a dozen years)... ah well.

A.Cow

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2018, 05:17:51 PM
The highlight for me remains the extensive range of polished hardwood textures that Chris Blythe employed, never since equalled (thank Grud!).

Seconded.