Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Help! / Re: Lawgiver ammunition types
« Last post by I, Cosh on Today at 12:36:35 am »
1. Ricochet
2. Ricochet
3. Ricochet
4. You get the idea.
Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection
« Last post by Jade Falcon on Today at 12:33:31 am »
Last night I blitzed my way through The Art of Kenny Who.  I can't say I remember any of these stories and while some of the scots stereotypes are a bit cringeworthy it was a great laugh.

Other Reviews / Re: The Immortal Hulk #1 by Al Ewing
« Last post by Trout on 22 June, 2018, 11:12:44 pm »
I love this comic book.
Other Reviews / Re: 2000 AD Sci-Fi Special 2018
« Last post by Tjm86 on 22 June, 2018, 09:44:41 pm »
Over the last few years Rebellion has given over the special to trying out new creative teams.  We've had first time try-outs, all-female creative teams, combinations but with a view to giving something completely different a shot.  There is none of the pressure of the mainstream prog or the meg but we get a chance to see what they can do.

I have to be honest, if I had half the talent that we'd seen in the prog I'd have been a very happy bunny.  There may be imperfections but I would say that overall the contributors comported themselves well.  I have absolutely no problem with double dipping on this one.

Compare that with some of the specials of yore which were a combination of filler, new strips, reprints ... Especially the last couple.  I personally would argue that Rebellion is giving us far more quality. 
Books & Comics / Re: New Comic Book Day Megathread
« Last post by Colin YNWA on 22 June, 2018, 09:27:00 pm »
Yay comics, mine ain't at all bad
Take a sad tale and make it better
Remember to let them into your heart
And if you read the same as me you'll be better

Yay comics, don't be afraid
You should just pop out and get some
The good ones, they'll get right under your skin
Them good one's will make you better

GOOOODDDDD haul this time. The good uns do it right and the one's struggling all seem to peck up a notch.

Prime example Paper Girls 21 is the best issue of this series for a wee while, possibly the break (inbetween arcs) has done us the world of good, but this made me remember why I loved this series in the first place. Mage 9 also sees a series return and my this is a great series and this comic has a few really fine moments, so high is the standard this month its actually not a highlight... well it is but not a highlight highlight. Neither is The Weather Man 1 but its a bloody compelling opener and I'm really excited to see how this one develops from this loaded and exciting start. And neither is Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 31 which interrupts this series return to form with a stilted and forced no smoking issue... still next issue looks good.

The next 4 issues however are just superb. Copperhead 19 returns for its (weep) final arc BUT by all that's sci-fi this is brilliant. As is Resident Alien - An Alien in New York 3 which is just a quiet piece of genius, it really has a fresh lo-fi tone that set it aside. Its the glorious execution that brings it home though. To be honest the only reason its not book if the haul is its back next month to claim that.

So book of the haul goes to one of the conclusions and I've decided not to go for Doctor Star 4 with it powerful emotional, I mean really powerful and emotional ending, if this doesn't move you I don't know what will. Rather I'll go with Mark Russell's move complex, but not less moving and powerful Snagglepuss 6. Just sublime.
Off Topic / Re: born this day
« Last post by The Legendary Shark on 22 June, 2018, 09:22:30 pm »
Bruce Campbell, grooviest dude in the Solar System, is 60 today.

« Last post by Leigh S on 22 June, 2018, 09:07:53 pm »
Yeah, what I'n getting at is that Sci-Fi specials with other creators often feel "off"/different - there is nothing like Dan Dare vs the frogs or Dredd and wind resistance here - if anything, a lot of the scripts feel very on model - the Rogue is more GFD than Rennie for example.  The art is more of a mix, but again. Sci-F special-at leas this time those differences are as a result of asking for difference ratehr than misfiring attempts to ape a style?

I saw a comment (here or elsewhere) that it wasnt very 2000ad, but I think it upholds the feel of a Sci-Fi special very well, and the bits that "don't feel 2000AD" are not always the worse for that.

I said something along those lines.

And I can see what you are getting at but for me it's just too far removed.

Like buying oranges and receiving cat litter.
« Last post by broodblik on 22 June, 2018, 08:12:04 pm »
Was there a Sci-Fi Special last year, or did we get Misty & Scream! instead?

No special last year only the Scream & Misty Special
Prog / Re: Prog 2086 - Bet on Red!
« Last post by Frank on 22 June, 2018, 08:11:00 pm »
Cruel wits suggest Skip Tracer is less a title, more an instruction to readers

Skip Tracer: more an instruction than a name.

Cruel wit.

Prog / Re: Prog 2086 - Bet on Red!
« Last post by JayzusB.Christ on 22 June, 2018, 07:56:28 pm »
Skip Tracer: more an instruction than a name.  (Really like the Dredd at the moment though, and Deadworld is great.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10