Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

Just started Middlemarch. Dorothea and Celia have 100 pages to lezz up or I'm outta there.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Emperor

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 03 May, 2010, 12:39:45 AM
Just started Middlemarch. Dorothea and Celia have 100 pages to lezz up or I'm outta there.

Unless you are the one who stole the "mucky marginalia" edition I made, you might want to save yourself some time.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

willthemightyW

Mainly 2000ad GN's. I recently went through a phase of reading Will Eisner stuff, and I still do, but more things like the case files, search/destroy agency files, slaine and will hopefully buy abc warriors the meknificent seven, and i am really enjoying all of it.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Daveycandlish

Pride and Prejudice. And Zombies.
The graphic novel version.

Any book that starts;
"It's a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains"
can't be bad!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

strontium_dog_90

Anybody else picking up the new "Warriors" series, "Jailbreak?" I picked it up at random in my local Travelling Man, just for something to read whilst waiting for a bus - and it was a really good read! I'd recommend it to any fans of the original movie, it gets the tone right and really captures the spirit of the characters. Plus we get to see Ajax being hard, which is always a good thing.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Just finishing McMafia by Misha Glinney probably the most depressing book I've read on the current state of the world.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Emperor

Just read the collection of Alan Davis' Killraven - nice work and a solid story, he really got back to the core of the character, plus it is lovely art from him as always. Not sure what else they could do with the character and setting but this self-contained soft reboot works a treat.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

HOO-HAA

I'm reading James Herbert's DOMAIN.

Good, honest, shoot-from-the-hip horror.

vzzbux

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 03 May, 2010, 07:54:13 PM

Hope you started with Rats and Lair first.

VNP
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

willthemightyW

Gaspipe by Philip Carlo. It's a true story of a mafia boss.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Tiplodocus

I may have imagined this but I recall throwing one of Herbert's rat novels across the room because it actually used the word "scurry" on the first page.

He did start of the lovely sub genre of scary monsters and sex novels though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

HOO-HAA

Quote from: vzzbux on 03 May, 2010, 08:40:12 PM

I read RATS a couple of years back. LAIR I had ordered, but DOMAIN arrived first so got stuck into it.

House of Usher

Quote from: Emperor on 03 May, 2010, 03:40:59 AM
Unless you are the one who stole the "mucky marginalia" edition I made, you might want to save yourself some time.
Joe Orton and Kenneth Halliwell got sent to prison for that! Good for you for keeping up an ignoble literary tradition.

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 03 May, 2010, 07:12:00 PM
Any book that starts "It's a truth universally acknowledged that a zombie in possession of brains must be in want of more brains" can't be bad!
Oh, but I bet it can. At least it got turned into a graphic novel, which I suspect is its proper medium. Wouldn't mind seeing it on the telly either.
STRIKE !!!

Mikey

I've got '...with Zombies' in my to read pile. It was bought for me as a christmas present and I haven't lifted it yet as I suspect it may not live up to my expectations.

I'm catching up on Interzone (again!). Some cracking stuff - but I can't remember most of the authors or story titles off hand  :-[ I have this trouble with a lot of short fiction anthologies & collections, so I usually only get a fix on the names & titles when I have a year end review.

I'll get back to you...

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: HOO-HAA on 03 May, 2010, 10:58:36 PM
Quote from: vzzbux on 03 May, 2010, 08:40:12 PM

I read RATS a couple of years back. LAIR I had ordered, but DOMAIN arrived first so got stuck into it.

I used to love Herbert when I was younger and read these many times.
He's run out of ideas though, and has been writing the same bloody story for the past half dozen books.

Oh- and avoid The City, the GN he did with Ian Millar. It's supposed to be a fourth Rats book, but is, in fact, rubbish.