Main Menu

New Doctor

Started by Timothy, 14 July, 2017, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: GordonR on 15 July, 2017, 01:03:25 AM
Quote from: DrRocka on 15 July, 2017, 12:58:26 AM
Ah, I was really hoping we'd only find out in the last 5 minutes of the Christmas episode. Suppose a surprise is impossible, these days....

It's never been possible any other previous day, either.

Every change of Doctor - every single one, from Hartnell-Troughton onward - has been announced and publicised well in advance.

Yeah but missing Pebble Mill at Ones annoucement was easier back in the day!

Timothy

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 15 July, 2017, 07:56:47 AM
Quote from: GordonR on 15 July, 2017, 01:03:25 AM
Ah, I was really hoping we'd only find out in the last 5 minutes of the Christmas episode. Suppose a surprise is impossible, these days....

It's never been possible any other previous day, either.

Every change of Doctor - every single one, from Hartnell-Troughton onward - has been announced and publicised well in advance.

Yeah but missing Pebble Mill at Ones annoucement was easier back in the day!

There's an episode of The Likely Lads right there.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Intriguing female would be Dr who's list here. It's Mojo which some users might find a bit trite.

http://www.watchmojo.com/video/id/16113/
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

The Legendary Shark

The virtual mental asylum known as Facebook is saying it's going to be Ken Dodd.

What a beautiful day for swearing at a sailor
and saying, "how's that for a tar-dis?"

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

Well BBC ruined it with the Master and Cydermen in the trailer!

Andy Lambert

Filming for the next series will start before Christmas, which will more than likely involve filming in public. It'd be impossible to keep the actor's identify a secret by the Christmas special. That's why they revealed the return of the original Cybermen.
They still ballsed it up with the Master though.

dweezil2

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 July, 2017, 10:21:56 AM
The virtual mental asylum known as Facebook is saying it's going to be Ken Dodd.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I started that one-and I was joking obviously!

How tickled I am!!!!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 15 July, 2017, 11:14:51 AM

Not really. It was supposed to be a secret, but once it leaked there was no point in pretending otherwise.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Dandontdare

But if you don't follow social media and fan sites, a viewer who just watches the show on TV would be none the wiser - no need to ruin it for everyone. I would have been pleasantly surprised by both if they hadn't been on the trailers.

As for the new doc - please, anyone but Kris Marshall- seems a nice guy but totally wrong for this

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: DrRocka on 15 July, 2017, 01:09:14 AM
I managed to miss all the furore in the press at the time so was genuinely surprised when Dr Ecclestone thrust his head back and spouted orange fireworks at the end of the first revived series.

A genuinely impressive feat given that Eccleston's departure was massive national news in between the broadcasts of episodes 1 and 2 of that season. On this form, you will have no trouble avoiding the publicity surrounding number 13 ;)

A lot of the time spoilers are basically indistinguishable from marketing. There was no way the BBC were going to let John Simm's return be a surprise, because then all the people who would have tuned in especially to see it would not have known to bother.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: dweezil2 on 15 July, 2017, 11:16:16 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 15 July, 2017, 10:21:56 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I started that one-and I was joking obviously!

How tickled I am!!!!  ;)

You wascally wabbit! Well played.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 July, 2017, 11:53:18 AM
But if you don't follow social media and fan sites, a viewer who just watches the show on TV would be none the wiser - no need to ruin it for everyone. I would have been pleasantly surprised by both if they hadn't been on the trailers.

Some episodes (and films) are well-crafted to provide a surprise, but are completely ruined by in-show trailers, or in the case of the first series episode 'Dalek', the word 'dalek' appearing at the beginning...

sheridan

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 15 July, 2017, 12:49:49 PM
Quote from: DrRocka on 15 July, 2017, 01:09:14 AM
I managed to miss all the furore in the press at the time so was genuinely surprised when Dr Ecclestone thrust his head back and spouted orange fireworks at the end of the first revived series.

A genuinely impressive feat given that Eccleston's departure was massive national news in between the broadcasts of episodes 1 and 2 of that season. On this form, you will have no trouble avoiding the publicity surrounding number 13 ;)

I managed it - I just needed to a) not have a TV and b) not read newspapers.

Andy Lambert

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 July, 2017, 11:37:41 AM
Quote from: Andy Lambert on 15 July, 2017, 11:14:51 AM

Not really. It was supposed to be a secret, but once it leaked there was no point in pretending otherwise.

It was leaked because they put the Master in the season trailer at the press screening for The Pilot - they could've kept him out and then The Sun wouldn't have had something to spoil...