Main Menu

Hellboy omnibus

Started by Apestrife, 25 September, 2017, 06:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

With the 7th Hellboy (--in hell) library book around the corner, Dark horse announces this. 6 fat TBP with everything Hellboy in chronological order.

https://www.darkhorse.com/Blog/2574/dark-horse-books-announces-hellboy-omnibus-collect

Some really nice covers!

I'm in love with the thought of a book with the whole Wild hunt. I'll probably buy these even if I got the LE:s.

Apestrife

1947 to 1961 Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories Vol. 1
Complete Hellboy in Mexico, The Chained Coffin, The Right Hand of Doom, The Bride of Hell, The Crooked Man, The Troll Witch, and Hellboy's childhood adventure, The Midnight Circus.

1962 to 1993 Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories Vol. 2
The Hydra and the Lion," "The Troll Witch," "The Baba Yaga," "The Sleeping and the Dead," "Heads," "Goodbye Mister Tod," "The Vârcolac," "The Vampire of Prague," "The Bride of Hell," "The Whittier Legacy," "Buster Oakley Gets His Wish," "They That Go Down to the Sea in Ships," "A Christmas Underground", "Dr. Carp's Experiment," "The Ghoul," "In the Chapel of Moloch," and "Makoma."

1994 to 1997 Hellboy Omnibus Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
Seed of Destruction, Wake the Devil, and "Wolves of St August," "The Chained Coffin," and "Almost Colossus," from The Chained Coffin and The Right Hand of Doom.

1998 to 2005 Hellboy Omnibus Volume 2: Strange Places
Conqueror Worm, Strange Places, Into the Silent Sea, and "The Right Hand of Doom," "Box Full of Evil," and "Being Human" from The Right Hand of Doom and B.P.R.D. Being Human.

2006 to 2009 Hellboy Omnibus Volume 3: The Wild Hunt
Darkness Calls, The Wild Hunt, and The Storm and the Fury, and the short story "The Mole."

666 to ∞ Hellboy Omnibus Volume 4: Hellboy in Hell
Hellboy in Hell, The Exorcist of Vorsk, The Magician and the Snake

IndigoPrime

I have the library collections. All great. But I kinda wish they'd have put the one-offs GNs into that format, too – or least not spread them among these. Oh well. These look superb value for anyone who doesn't yet have a HB collection though.

Apestrife

Wouldnt mind it if theyd include Midnight circus, some mexico stuff and the magician and snake story in the In hell LE. To set it up a bit.

Perhaps the magician and the snake could see an inclusion the least? Feels like a good chance at that. If theyre not planing on releasing screw on head as a LE. --which they totally should.

Also frankenstein underground.

TordelBack

So as a wannabe Hellboy reader (I like the characters and love the imagery, but can never quite get into the story) I find the idea of a chronological approach a bit offputting - I recently read two large BPRD omnibuses which slotted short stories into their chronological places and I found the disjointed styles disrupted my reading, and frequent allusions to things that hadn't happened yet but were clearly the reason the story had been - retrospectively - written were just frustrating, given the ever-present possibility that this might actually be a mystery or unexplained phenomenon we were supposed to engage with, rather than a 'just so' story fro something we would already be aware of if things had been in publication order.  Being asked to care about 'prequels' to characters and situations that you haven't yet encountered isn't my thing. 

jacob g

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 25 September, 2017, 07:43:51 PMThese look superb value for anyone who doesn't yet have a HB collection though.

I actually plan to sell/give to library all my previously collected Hellboy softcovers and switch to this omni collection. Not that I think it's upgrade in terms of quality, but... I want to experience something similar to what I have with Elephantmen: Mammoth. I sold all my previous owned Elephantmen trades and now I'm rereading them in Mammoths with much enjoyment. It's kind of new experience. Not better but new.
margaritas ante porcos