Main Menu

3A Toys/Rebellion Press Release

Started by Robo-K33F, 16 November, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: Dunk! on 10 November, 2010, 03:28:17 PM
Ming, what's the usual turnaround at 3A from announcement to actual product?

This isn't a dig at 3A, but it seems to be quite a drawn-out process, which makes me wonder how long until we see anything else in the pipeline.

Dunk!

You mean the time until items are in hand? From seeing pictures, or from the time of sale?

Either way, it's always a drawn-out process...  The process tends to go something like this (and this is not limited to 2000AD stuff, the same goes for Ash's own properties):

- stuff gets mentioned in passing
- time passes, maybe a few more mentions over a period of months or a year
- a classic 3A blurry shot emerges
- more time passes
- more vague info is released leading into a sale
- things only become firm and clear in the weeks immediately prior to the sale (maybe just a week or two before)
- sale happens
- time passes, more pics emerge (sales sometimes based without final product pictures; close enough but lacking decals, etc)
- usually a few months after the sale, stuff starts to ship

The time between SALE and ARRIVAL can vary hugely; some stuff gets made quicker than others depending on the complexity and size of the run.  3A are experimenting with ways to reduce the wait, with figures being in the pipeline at the time of sale to try and speed things up (Heavy Bramble went like this) but I'd be very surprised ever to get anything from 3A inside 3 months.

For 2000AD stuff it's no problem as far as I'm concerned - we've waited 30 years already!

It's worth bearing in mind that with the 2000AD line, Ash does not call all the shots; Rebellion are ultimately in the driving seat as far as I'm aware and there are (I think) contractual obligations not to release images of unfinished (or works-in-progress) figures. Not that Ash throws images around of stuff he's working on; things tend to get sat on until they're more or less ready.

I'd love this not to be the case, and to see how Rogue, Dredd, Alpha, Mean and the rest are shaping up, but I guess this isn't going to happen.

Stuff's on the way though, and hopefully once Mongrol comes out the line will gain some momentum...

Smush!

Mardroid

Quote from: ming on 10 November, 2010, 06:21:51 AM
Lara and her aunt scavenged battlefields for *any* robot remains, I think, so Mongrol should be as his name suggests - a mix of parts from different robots... to me, at least!

:)

Thanks for posting. Yeah I've read that one (I got The Meknficent seven from the library a while back). I knew he was made from different robots. I just thought they might be the same type as him, considering (I thought) his before and after pictures looked similar.

However, looking at those panels again, I see that while there are similarities, there are a few differences too. Particularly the arms. I see more bits on the reconstructed version we know, when compared to the earlier 'Robotrooper' version. And I think the second pair of arms are quite a bit bigger. (Although not as big as they're sometimes drawn. I like the gorilla arms look).

That model is a pretty accurate take. I hope the mouth opens! ;)

Mikey

I've a feeling there'll be less of a wait to the next release after Mongrol-less development and design time needed for human type figs (probably). Likely to be a bit easier on the wallet too!

M

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

ming

Yeah, Tharg aside, we're expecting the next figure released will be Rogue...

May not be a $80 figure as he'll come with accessories - including a talking hat! - but hopefully not much more pricey than that.

Will be interesting to find out, anyway!

Dash Decent

I notice there's a very recent (2nd January) blog post by Ashley Woods on the 3A site (at http://www.threeaonline.com/blog/) that says in passing that in 2011 "the 2000ad line will rapidly grow".

Speaking of which, isn't Mongrol scheduled for this month?

- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

ming

As far as we know, Mongrol is still scheduled for January... Hopefully there'll be news very soon.

One thing that might be of interest to anyone planning on picking up 3A 2000AD stuff (or non-2000AD stuff) is the upcoming 3AA drop.  This is an annual 3A Associates sale thing, where you pay $150 and in return get some goodies (this year it's a hoodie, a comic and a 1/12 scale figure all in a tasty box), 15% off all purchases at Bambaland, a 24 hour period to order for all regular releases (a pretty big deal in itself) and access to 3AA exclusives.

Check the 3A blog (http://www.threeaonline.com/blog/) for a handy countdown timer and a link (on the right hand side of the page) to Bambaland.

If there are any questions, I'll happily guide people through the process.

ming

I forgot to mention that this year, 3AA will be available in a 24 hour sale - rather than the mad, manic dash that the last two years have seen (last year there was a 5 minute period)... Should be easy to get 3AA status if you want it, and as we should *hopefully* see quite a few 2000AD figures this year, it should pay for itself pretty quickly with the 15% discount (and remember there's free shipping on all Bambaland purchases).

JOE SOAP

Is there a Dredd on the schedule this year?

ming

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 08 January, 2011, 02:01:51 PM
Is there a Dredd on the schedule this year?

Probably.  Once things kick off with Mongrol I expect the line to gather speed...

Dredd's somewhere down the line, anyway...  As for what we know of the order of upcoming releases, in the middle of May, Ash said:

"rogue is after mongrol, then female and male judges, then mean, then alpha, more abc, then !"

However, stuff changes around all the time...

ming

Just a quick self-bump for this info in case anyone's interested...  3AA on sale for 24h from 1am GMT on Saturday (but check the countdown timer on the 3A blog, linked below, in case I got muddled).

Quote from: ming on 08 January, 2011, 01:32:30 PM
One thing that might be of interest to anyone planning on picking up 3A 2000AD stuff (or non-2000AD stuff) is the upcoming 3AA drop.  This is an annual 3A Associates sale thing, where you pay $150 and in return get some goodies (this year it's a hoodie, a comic and a 1/12 scale figure all in a tasty box), 15% off all purchases at Bambaland, a 24 hour period to order for all regular releases (a pretty big deal in itself) and access to 3AA exclusives.

Check the 3A blog (http://www.threeaonline.com/blog/) for a handy countdown timer and a link (on the right hand side of the page) to Bambaland.

If there are any questions, I'll happily guide people through the process.

I, Cosh

More to the point, when's issue 2 of Duostar Racers out?
We never really die.

gurnard

@the cosh: here here! Personally I have given up on this but still enjoy the first issue now and again.

ming

Micro-update:

Mongrol goes on sale in February, according to Ash.

Will be back with more info as and when.

dweezil2

Quote from: ming on 16 January, 2011, 11:39:17 PM
Micro-update:

Mongrol goes on sale in February, according to Ash.

Will be back with more info as and when.

Arsom and all that (Zar)jazz! :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Bat King

Seriously $250.00??  That is over £150.00.  Kinda expensive.

I wouldn't have bought many but might have treated myself to one or two.  Sadly out of my price range for an action figure.

Is there really a big market for them?  I know loads of people who are a fan of such and such film, or that TV series or the other book that might spend £150.00 on a rare signed copy of whatever it is - VHS, DVD, Book , Comic, etc.  But I don't know many that will spend more than £10 or £20 on a comic based on their favourite TV show or an action figure of their favourite book character, etc.

I'm sure they are great and I'll drool over one or two.  Also sure those that buy will enjoy.  I am just surprised there is a market big enough to make it viable.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex