Main Menu

Prog 1809 : THIS ONE'LL KILL YA!

Started by Buttonman, 10 November, 2012, 01:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: vzzbux on 11 November, 2012, 08:47:02 AM
Is it me or does Frank's reaction let on that the list is incorrect (going back to the switch of the statue). Hence Dredd and dunker playing Bachmann from the start.

V

My thoughts too: the switched statue is the cold deck. Bachmann doesn't know she has been suckered. Dredd is just playing the whole thing out. Question is: whose names are on the list? Who are they really? 'cos they ain't Wally Squad judges - as confirmed by Frank not being on the list.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 11 November, 2012, 09:02:18 AM
Is it me or does Frank's reaction let on that the list is incorrect (going back to the switch of the statue). Hence Dredd and dunker playing Bachmann from the start.

V

My thoughts too: the switched statue is the cold deck. Bachmann doesn't know she has been suckered. Dredd is just playing the whole thing out. Question is: whose names are on the list? Who are they really? 'cos they ain't Wally Squad judges - as confirmed by Frank not being on the list.

Yeah that's been my thoughts for a while now. Maybe the names on the list are members of Church of Judges thingie so they're getting them to cleanse their own... but that seems a bit of a stretch?

Leigh S

Having not really been paying great attention while reading Simping and Low life before they crossed over, dont ask me to try and make sense of whats going on... must reread the lot...

but I'm loving Ewings writing on the main Dredd - particularly this weeks brooding from Hershey... so is Dredd responsible for Day of Chaos, not due to his actions in the Apocalypse War, but due to his actions in the Judge Child?

A.Cow

That certainly fits with (a) Kazan's comments and (b) the notion of a cold deck.

However, I suspect that the Kazan stuff is part of a longer game, and will continue beyond this story.

Hawkmumbler

The sheer genius of this crossover continues to amaze me. There are so many yet so few place's the creaters could be going with this. :D

Beaker

Yep, loving the prog at the moment, apart from the dull Black Sun.

The Dreddverse triple is awesome and I can't wait to see where its all going..... and seeing Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein together again brought a big smile to my chops. Cool.
"I've got 'em.....I just ain't scratching!'

Frank

Quote from: Beaker on 11 November, 2012, 05:54:24 PM
Yep, loving the prog at the moment, apart from the dull Black Sun.

There's your problem, you've been reading a different strip to everyone else.

DoomBot

Well I haven't got around to reading the prog yet except for a brief flick through it and I'm a little curious that no one else has mentioned it but, why does Jack Point's coat appear to be covered in boobs?  :D

A.Cow

Quote from: DoomBot on 11 November, 2012, 08:30:13 PM
Well I haven't got around to reading the prog yet except for a brief flick through it and I'm a little curious that no one else has mentioned it but, why does Jack Point's coat appear to be covered in boobs?  :D

Is it a double-breasted jacket?

Ba-boom Ting!  I thank yow.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: A.Cow on 11 November, 2012, 09:46:25 PM
Quote from: DoomBot on 11 November, 2012, 08:30:13 PM

Is it a double-breasted jacket?

Ba-boom Ting!  I thank yow.

Pete Wells

Ha ha ha, Doombot!

Today, I read the Progs 1804 onwards and it was wonderful! We should all be kicking ourselves that we didn't see the stories converging, there we so many clues! The constant religious overtones, the ducks and the biscuits, little bits of dialogue, it's the Dead Man all over again!

As for the prog itself, here's my tuppence worth:

Cover: A grower! At first I though my beloved Trevallion had made a rare misstep, however, the more I study it, the more I love it!

Dredd: Good Grud, this is good. I can't believe I doubted Hershey, as Oshii says, the character development of an already well rounded character has been dazzling in a few short weeks. I love the fact that she promoted Bachmann to keep an eye on her, genius! I'm really worried for old Hersh, I hope she comes out of all this unscathed...

There's definitely something fishy going on with Dredd (which may well have been given away in Low Life,) his hesitance, the moment when he tries to tell Hershey... something, he's definitely holding back. Interesting stuff with Maitland too, could the company she speaks of be Overdrive Inc? It's masterful stuff by Mr Ewing, it seems my post Day of Chaos worrying was unfounded.

As for Flint, just... wow! I adored those flashback scenes, he seems to be channelling McMahon (Larter) and Colin Wilson (young Hershey) here. The panels contrasting the young Hershey in the flashbacks with the older, more haggered one of the present were amazing. Her career has really taken it's toll...

Wonderful stuff!

Low Life: And so it continues! Just who is Judge Smiley? I'm absolutely desperate to know! Like Dredd, this throws up more questions than it answers, but it does it so well. An hilarious script and outrageously good art by D'Israeli. As I said in Dredd, the final panel of this story may well be giving away too much, but I have faith in Tharg to add yet more twists to this wonderful tale.

ABCs - Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein, together again! Loads to smile about here, the change of art style mid episode was great. Great cliffhanger too...

Brass Sun - is just beautiful. Those colours, the scale of it, breathtaking!

Simp - Coleby's art is incredible and Spurriur's wise-ass script is suitably fitting. Interesting take on organised religion here with an obvious nod to Scientology. It seems that poor Jack has been brainwashed here, will the faux list save him in time?

I'm LOVING the prog at present, the three interweaving stories make it a much richer experience, actually forcing a re-read of the big three. Can't wait for the epic 1812 overture!

Dan Kelly

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 10 November, 2012, 04:29:21 PM
Quote from: Dan Kelly on 10 November, 2012, 02:03:05 PM
We now have a name for The Biscuit Dunking Man and it looks like he's been around for quite some time (in fact we've seen him before the current run I think)

Wonder what this really means for Frank and Jack, as both of them may not come out of this unchanged...

Where have we seen him before????

Didn't the previous (Japanese) Low Life kick off with Frank being rescued from the snow by a mystery Judge?

mygrimmbrother

Cold Deck is far and away my favourite non-Wagner Dredd for ages. Cracking stuff, super-dense and as others have said some wonderful characterisation going on. Kudos to the Ewing droid!

Dark Jimbo

After reading this week's prog I rushed to the board, hoping that whoever had started the thread had called it 'Prog 1809: Sharkbah!TM'
@jamesfeistdraws