Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

I'm cautiously optimistic about a new Star Wars film, but seeing what Disney did with 'John Carter' does not bode well IMO. I think a good idea for a new trilogy would be the Yuhzan Vong invasion from the expanded universe (now that's biotech). And please, please no more Clone Wars, it's shit!

Cheers  :)
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JOE SOAP

Quote from: NapalmKev on 31 October, 2012, 09:29:54 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic about a new Star Wars film, but seeing what Disney did with 'John Carter' does not bode well IMO.

Disney won't be making it, Lucasfilm will be a separate entity within Disney like Marvel and PIXAR. Then again John Carter is still probably a better film than the any prequels.

shaolin_monkey

Disney, tear this franchise apart until you've found those dollars. And bring me the original cast, I want them alive!

Steve Green

That's fairly unwieldy - didn't expect them to retain rights forever on the first film.

I'd hope they'd do a deal and both want to get them out while there still is a larger physical media market.

JOE SOAP

Just to make you all even happier, all the sequels will be 3D.

JamesC

There's loads of scope for stories set after ROTJ without having to worry about what the extended universe has done.

I like to see and old Luke skywalker as a kind of Kenobi / Yoda figure still trying to bring the Jedi back to power.
You've basically got one man alive at the end of ROTJ who knows how to use the force and train Jedi - he's going to have bounties put on his head left, right and centre. Make someone high up in the rebel council a force-phobic politician type and you've got plenty of dramatic conflict.

At the end of the trilogy have a new squad of young Jedi trainees save the galaxy.

Cue loads of cartoons and comics about the adventures of the new Jedi power rangers.

SmallBlueThing

Do you really think these 'new films' wont be 3D remakes of the original trilogy, with robert pattinson as han solo and a cgi chewie?

SBT

JamesC

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 31 October, 2012, 10:20:38 AM
Do you really think these 'new films' wont be 3D remakes of the original trilogy, with robert pattinson as han solo and a cgi chewie?

SBT

There'd have to be some major re-writes. Not enough happens in the first half hour of Star Wars to satisfy today's ADHD afflicted youngsters.

shaolin_monkey

Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for... Disney.

Jim_Campbell

To be fair to Disney (I know...) they've pretty much left Pixar alone, except for putting Lasseter in overall charge of animation which resulted in him sacking all the Disney middle managers who were making the animators' lives miserable ("If you don't draw, you have no place here," he is alleged to have told the bean-counters) and reversing the decision to abandon hand animation...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

IAMTHESYSTEM

Lucas has sold his soul to Satan. :'(

The last three films were pretty dire and now the 'Rebels leader' has given up the pretense of independence and simply surrendered to another evil empire for a fat fee. Mickey Mouse will appear as Yoda I predict it now and of course no matter how kak the Movies are millions will flock to see them and they'll make zillions of dollars.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

shaolin_monkey

Satanist

Cant be any worse than the last lot of films so will wait and see.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

JamesC

Disney may be evil (although probably no more evil than any other corporation - just more successful) but they make pretty good films.
I really enjoyed Tron: Legacy and John Carter. Wreck it Ralph looks bloody good too.
Certainly a better track record than LucasFilm.