Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

Quote from: opaque on 17 July, 2012, 08:12:44 AM
Quote from: Skullmo on 17 July, 2012, 12:49:26 AM
I know that stuff used to be so cheap. I remember looking at 3 pages of sky chariots by McMahon for £35 a page in Comic Showcase back in 1993. I should have bought it instead of those silly comics! >:(

I only really got into collecting the artwork properly in the early 2000's and on Ebay there was still a lot of (now) very very cheap artwork which I wish I could have bought but that was back when I was unemployed.
Still remember the covers for the Apocalypse War GN's going for a couple of hundred?, now I hate to think how much they would be worth.

Someone I knew was selling Belardinelli for £10 a page :-(
It's a joke. I was joking.

opaque

If only we had a time machine.

I'm happy with what what I've got but it's never enough :P

ming

Heh, one of the worst things about buying 'classic' original art these days is seeing the retro pricing scribbled on the back... I've got McMahon Dredd, Ewins Bad Co., etc. and the original vs. contemporary prices make you grind your teeth.  As classic 2000AD artists go, Belardinelli has probably risen least - undervalued and certainly underappreciated compared to many others.

Meanwhile, with a bit of luck I should be getting that Gibbons Rogue concept art this week (and the text for the original series pitch); a nice slice of history there...

:)

Mikey

Quote from: ming on 17 July, 2012, 11:56:09 AM
Heh, one of the worst things about buying 'classic' original art these days is seeing the retro pricing scribbled on the back... I've got McMahon Dredd, Ewins Bad Co., etc. and the original vs. contemporary prices make you grind your teeth.  As classic 2000AD artists go, Belardinelli has probably risen least - undervalued and certainly underappreciated compared to many others.

Meanwhile, with a bit of luck I should be getting that Gibbons Rogue concept art this week (and the text for the original series pitch); a nice slice of history there...

:)

I seen a Dillon Dredd page in a comic shop in the early 90s. It was £25. That was like 4 weeks cider and snouts them days, so there was no way I could get it!

Also: good work on the Rogue concept stuff Ming.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

opaque

I was unemployed when I saw all the very earliest stuff in the late 90's. I was already spending all my money on internet access by the minute.

Easy to wish you'd spent the money when you really didn't have it to spend but of course now you can't always accept paying the current market price for the same artwork now even if it's within your grasp.
Mind you some people on here seem to get large numbers of amazing pieces so I guess that is exactly what they are doing! Or maybe they finding rich old ladies who bought things for the grandchildren decades ago and forgot about them and who are now offering them for a pittance to some kindly gentleman? ;)

Mikey

Heh!

"Morning Mrs *insert artists surname*! I heard your son was a messy Jack Sauce that left comic art of all things lying about, so I'm here to offer my services as a cleaner. I can recycle paper and art board free of charge. No, don't thank me, my pleasure to help. May I say you look radiant in that house coat, madam!etc"

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

hippynumber1

Spikes

I remember looking at 3 pages of sky chariots by McMahon for £35 a page in Comic Showcase back in 1993.

Still remember the covers for the Apocalypse War GN's going for a couple of hundred?, now I hate to think how much they would be worth.

Somebody posted this McMahon Rico page on Twitter, saying it had cost him £15 in the early 80's.
I can console myself with the fact that the asking price, back then, would have placed this way beyond my reach.

How much a page from this story would be worth now, i shudder to think.

opaque

Funny thing is of course that we want it because of the quality of the work and the story that resides within, not for the value on the open market.

We care.

Skullmo

Quote from: Judge Jack on 17 July, 2012, 04:36:51 PM
I remember looking at 3 pages of sky chariots by McMahon for £35 a page in Comic Showcase back in 1993.

Somebody posted this McMahon Rico page on Twitter, saying it had cost him £15 in the early 80's.
I can console myself with the fact that the asking price, back then, would have placed this way beyond my reach.

How much a page from this story would be worth now, i shudder to think.

How much WOULD a page like that be now? I really have no idea how much the rare art is having never seen any of it for sale in the last 20 years!

Large48

McMahon proba about £1K, prob more for a Bolland (a lot more if its one of the stolen pages!)
[size=40]Train Hard - Run Fast - Hit to Kill[/size]

Spikes

Quote from: opaque on 17 July, 2012, 04:41:07 PM
Funny thing is of course that we want it because of the quality of the work and the story that resides within, not for the value on the open market.

We care.

Aye. This is it, certainly on here, that its the love for an artist/story thats the driving force behind the collecting.

Skullmo

Quote from: Large48 on 17 July, 2012, 04:57:30 PM
McMahon proba about £1K, prob more for a Bolland (a lot more if its one of the stolen pages!)

:o :o :o :o

hoops

Quote from: Skullmo on 17 July, 2012, 05:31:55 PM
Quote from: Large48 on 17 July, 2012, 04:57:30 PM

:o :o :o :o

x2!

That much?

ming

Prices these days are a bit crazy (especially to those who started collecting back in the day when it was all as cheap as chips) but good art is getting very scarce and remains much in demand (don't look at me like that).  The US market has driven up prices for Bolland, Bisley and O'Neill especially - far more than any other 2000AD alumni I can think of (Gibbons Watchmen and David Lloyd V for Vendetta are also exceptionally sought-after, with prices to match).  A lot of stuff just never really surfaces, though (Yeowell Zenith springs to mind) so it's hard to get a handle on some things.

As far as 'Classic' art goes, there are still relative bargains to be had but they're few and far between.  Anyway, the price tag is (and always has been) less important than what the art means to you personally.  Not that I really rank the art I have in this way, but I'm sure I have relatively modestly priced art that means more to me than stuff with a bigger price tag.  (The O'Neill Nemesis cover's something of an exception as it's an incredibly important piece of art for me and I paid accordingly - but at least the cash went direct to Kev O'Neill.)  Knowing what you like and sticking to it is the key - the narrower your focus, the easier it will be to ignore all the semi-decent art that inevitably passes under your nose.

Anyway, my art pick-ups are slowing significantly these days.  As Opaque said, you can never have enough of this stuff once you start collecting, but I've got enough of my boxes ticked that I could happily stop now.  Er.  Yes, yes, I know.

:lol: