Main Menu

Round 1: 1 - Michael Carroll or Pat Mills - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 May, 2020, 06:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Mike's post was so magnanimous that I am changing my vote to Mike.

Funt Solo

Arguments for Sprout:
- "Back to the Fuhrer" has to be up there in some kind of "Top Ten Time Twister Titles", pretty close to the top.
- He's like a mini-Wagner. He does brave epics like all that stuff where TC tried to decapitate MC-1.

Arguments for Mills:
- Ro-Busters
- Slaine
- The ABC Warriors
- Savage
- Flesh
- Nemesis the Warlock ... ah, Pat wins.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Top Ten Five Time Twister Titles

5. The Absolutely And Utterly Authentic Story Behind "The Hitler Diaries"
4. This Is Your Death
3. The Avenging Kong Meets Laurel And Hardy
2. The Startling Success Of Sideways Scuttleton
1. Back to the Fuhrer

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

rogue69

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richard on 29 May, 2020, 04:56:57 PM
Mike's post was so magnanimous that I am changing my vote to Mike.

Or did Mike change it for you???

Richard

Dark Jimbo

When Pat's bad, he's almost horrendously bad, but when he's good... Oh my gosh. Nemesis, Defoe, ABC Warriors are some of my favourite-ever thrills. So it has to be Mills for me.

Love Mr Carroll's blog, and he seems like just the nicest guy, but his Dredd doesn't always hit the mark for me. (Haven't read Proteus Vex, but I hear good things)...
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Michael's writing is far more consistent than Pat's imo, the 90s were dark days for Slaine and the Warriors. But with Defoe showing Pat's still got some great work left in him I think I've got to hand this one to Pat.

Buttonman

Favourite writer? That's easy, the lovely Mike who always seems pleased to see you and even listens to your witterings about the letters page. I'm sure Pat Mills is lovely but I saw him at the bar at the 40th and he had an aura that said 'fuck right off' - I didn't approach. This is to my detriment as he is a God in 2000ad terms but I couldn't see him indulging me in my mindless pap!

Your chance at the 50th Pat!

Richard

I met Pat at a signing in 2009 and he was very patient with my inane questions, and very personable. No one can be in a good mood all the time, so maybe you caught him at a bad time.

I, Cosh

A bit of a one-sided contest this. If the question was best writer of 2020 so far then Mr Carroll might be in with a chance but there's not many writers with a list of highlights like Mills. Even the bad stuff is usually interestingly bad.

Winner: Pat Mills.
We never really die.

Buttonman

Quote from: Richard on 30 May, 2020, 12:09:00 PM
I met Pat at a signing in 2009 and he was very patient with my inane questions, and very personable. No one can be in a good mood all the time, so maybe you caught him at a bad time.

I was in no way slagging off the wonderful Pat - merely that his aura and reputation meant that I didn't feel an approach would leave me unscathed. Mike on the other hand is downright cuddly.

Colin YNWA

Well wow we're ringing the bell on our first Round 1 votes - its all going so quick. You have until the morning on this one and remember its you civic responsibity to vote otherwise who knows who might be running the country in the middle of an appalling global pandemic.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Despite my great respect for Mike, it has to be Pat. Theres simply no one more important to the comic (or all British comics) than Pat. And I'd still rather read a Pat Mills story than just about any other writer currently working in comics.
The fact that so many people have turned against his later work is probably entirely appropriate- after all the whole ethos of Pat's seminal work in comics was to reject all the outdated crap that had gone before and embrace the new and fresh. But without Pat, we'd not be here and comics would simply be a medium that in Britain died out a very long time ago.

SBT