Main Menu

Skizz

Started by Grobbendonk, 30 March, 2014, 12:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

I think there must have been a fair few people stuck in windowless rooms over the weekend...   :-\

Andrew_J

Getting back to Skizz, I remember first reading that and realising we weren't in Kansas anymore. Moore's writing was just lightyears ahead of his contemporaries and it really set a new benchmark for the rest of the droids. Even as a 15 year old I think I knew it was pretty special.
Baikie's art was just right too, giving it that grounded realism. Hard to imagine any other artist at the time doing it.

TordelBack

Yep, I clearly remember reading the 'caper' episode, with the Hitchcock's birthday stuff, and at age 11 realising this was something quite different from anything I'd previously read in a comic.  If there was a specific moment when I became utterly hooked on 2000AD it was then.  It was also the moment I noticed the name 'Alan Moore', and began to work back through issues to see what else he'd written...

Spikes

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 14 April, 2014, 04:53:13 PM
I think there must have been a fair few people stuck in windowless rooms over the weekend...   :-\

Indeed.

Hawkmumbler

Wasn't out Joe in book III? I have never read Skizz as I was always holding out for a complete collection somewhere down the line.

credo

Surely Skizz is ripe for a BBC adaptation? More Tooth on telly!

Skullmo

Quote from: Spikes on 14 April, 2014, 06:44:05 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 14 April, 2014, 04:53:13 PM

Indeed.

Indeed.
It's a joke. I was joking.

glassstanley

Definitely worth a reprint, as I don't think any of the published copies of Book 1 have been complete - Titan missed 3 pages, BEst of 2000AD & Rebellion trade missed 1.

hippynumber1

A Complete Skizz that included all 3 stories would be most welcome. Has Vol. 3 ever been reprinted?

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

malkymac

I suppose if it was published these days it would 'fukki nell' rather than 'flippi nek'.

Steve Green

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 15 April, 2014, 09:19:16 AM
Wasn't out Joe in book III? I have never read Skizz as I was always holding out for a complete collection somewhere down the line.

The Teddy Boy droids and their Morris Minor bumped into him in Oz around the time of Supersurf from what I recall.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: glassstanley on 16 April, 2014, 06:00:13 PM
Definitely worth a reprint, as I don't think any of the published copies of Book 1 have been complete - Titan missed 3 pages, BEst of 2000AD & Rebellion trade missed 1.

Exqueeze me? This needs explaining, before I rush off to check my Titan edition!

SBT

Fungus

Thoroughly enjoying my reading (rereading...?!) of Skizz book 2. Jim Baikie's writing is far better than I expected. Properly sci-fi, lots of pleasing ideas/terminology and very satisfying all round. 7-page parts too (in the beginning), clearly Tharg had faith.
Makes the lack of reprint all the weirder, considering the stuff that has been offered up again in the name of "graphic novels" and "best of"s over the years.

A quick search, and I don't see any more of his writing apart from one Future Shock. May have to seek this out too.

Dark Jimbo

Never read any Skizz, but I'd snap up a complete collection. Really surprised Rebellion haven't already jumped on the oppurtunity - it's not every publisher who can lay claim to Moore material. I'd think his name on the cover all but guarantees good sales.
@jamesfeistdraws