Main Menu

Steve Sampson original artwork !

Started by abc warrior, 09 February, 2008, 06:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abc warrior

Hi All,

Steve Sampson original artwork on ebay. Only 99p starting bid.
Get yourself a bargain, if interested.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170191423981&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=007" target="_blank">Artwork

Roger Godpleton

I met someone who knew Steve Sampson once.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

I know somebody who met someone who knew Steve Sampson once.
STRIKE !!!

abc warrior

Steve Sampson bought me a pint at Mundens !

Buddy

I met someone who actually liked Steve Sampsons artwork.*

*not true

abc warrior

MatthewBadham

You know, Uncle Umpty, I shouldn't take the bait here, but...

Imagine Steve Sampson is browsing the Internet on a Sunday morning (or at any time) and he comes across your comment (which, I'm sure, got loads of laughs from your fellow boarders).

Pretty hurtful to the guy, who, no doubt, puts time and effort into his work. Not trying to have a go at you as I'm sure you're a nice guy, but, you know, there's just no need...

MatthewBadham

Hey, Uncle Umpty, thinking about it maybe I owe you a slight apology.

My point still stands, but it seems unfair to single you out when lots of people on the Board make cracks at the expense of artists and writers.

So, sorry.

I suppose that my post was actually aimed at the Board in general, in that I wish people would think before they typed (oh, if I could only take my own advice). You know, these art and script peeps are just that at the end of the day (people) and it seems unfair to take cheap potshots at them in a public forum.

So, with that caveat, apologies.

Matt

Buddy

Just expressing an opinion....

I'm sure there are many people who love his 'paint over traced photographs' style, indeed the editors who commission artists must think so or he would never have appeared in the publication.

And I'm sure Mr Sampson is mature enough to understand that he's not going to appeal to everyone.

And at the end of the day it is he who is drawing comics while I just read them, so I think he has the upper hand here.

It's nothing personal against Mr Sampson, I wish him much success.

MatthewBadham

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to challenge that one.

You wrote:

'I met someone who actually liked Steve Sampsons artwork.*

*not true'

The implication, intentional or otherwise, is that no one could possibly like Steve's artwork.

If you were just expressing your opinion, you would have written something like this:

'I don't like Steve Sampson's art.'

There is a difference.

But, as you said, he's the published artist and so there are, presumably, editors out there who believe that his work is quality work.

I quite like it myself. Reminds me a bit of Julian Opie.

Cheers
Matt

Buddy

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to challenge that one.

You wrote:

'I met someone who actually liked Steve Sampsons artwork.*

*not true'

Guilty as charged.

I was just being flippant (or whatever the word is)

Adrian Bamforth

To be fair to Steve, though one might not like his style (I'm not just into Clint Langley's style myself) but I don't reckon there are any panels on that original page that were done with photo-ref, it's too 'actiony'.

Buddy

Yeah Aid, you're probably right there... and looking at the artwork again it's actually not too bad.

I like Langly's painted stuff. Not keen on the computer stuff he does.

Mark Harrison's another one, painted artwork nice, computer artwork, something not right about it, too clinical or rigid or something, can't put my finger on it.

Trout

Hmmm. I also dislike Steve Sampson's art. I find it static and dull. That's just my opinion.

- Trout

Buttonman

I suppose that my post was actually aimed at the Board in general

What did I do?!

You shouldn't generalise - that's what they do in Russia.

© Bart Simpson