Main Menu

Prog 2191 - Let's Boogie!

Started by Leigh S, 18 July, 2020, 12:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I am also on the same page as Indigo related to all the epics wiping out massive numbers of the population.  Hopefully the MC-1 will not be "destroyed" as in previous destruction-driven epics.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

sheridan

Quote from: broodblik on 24 July, 2020, 01:51:11 PM
I am also on the same page as Indigo related to all the epics wiping out massive numbers of the population.  Hopefully the MC-1 will not be "destroyed" as in previous destruction-driven epics.

Another vote for MC1 overpopulation here.  The Big A was one thing, but it still left the Meg with 400,000,000 citizens.  After Chaos Day the city of the future was smaller than the largest city in the present, losing something in the process (well, 350,000,000 citizens, for a start).  Latest count on the contents pages is 14,000,000.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 24 July, 2020, 02:16:17 PM
  Latest count on the contents pages is 14,000,000.

Decimal point error - 140,000,000.

broodblik

You are correct Sheridan they where just over enthusiastic because that is the number of the End of Days are done and dusted. So it is 14 000 000 and not 140 000 000
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

BPP

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 22 July, 2020, 10:57:50 AM
There is a lot of really harsh crit for Dredd right now and I'm not sure its really valid. Rob is, IMO writing a summer blockbuster strip that is built to rattle along at a breathless pace. Personally I'm really enjoying it in exactly that way.

It isn't 'America', and it isn't trying to be.

I'm fightin' with bolt-01 block. Williams is writing a great fun Dredd and Flint is the perfect artist. In retrospect I think MacNeil draws too good a anonymous facist face of authority and the ensemble crew looked all the same. Now it's more distinct and firing along. Just great.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

A.Cow

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 24 July, 2020, 01:38:19 PM
MC1 citizens must breed like rabbits during the tiny periods of peace to keep the numbers up.

Have you seen MC1 unemployment rates?  Watching holovid, bat-gliding, or committing / being a victim of crime can only take up so much of a day.  They have plenty of time to engage in conjugal unpleasantness.

broodblik

End of Days reads for me very much like the old classics like Cursed Earth and Judge Child but feels more like City of the Damned. One thing and might be the main reason why City of the Damned felt disjointed is the continuous usage of different artist. It is strange that it should not make a difference but it is and for the same reason End of Days feels the same. I prefer that one artist is used for the whole story. Maybe this week the [spoiler]return of Shako[/spoiler] felt out of place but still I am sure by the next episode I will be back onboard. Overall, I am still liking this, and Williams has always been a very capable Dredd writer in my eyes (different from Wagner or our other fiend mister Grover)

JOE SOAP

I don't feel Day of Chaos or Tour of Duty suffered too much from having multiple artists and only one artist ever achieved such a feat (twice) within Tharg's schedule.

broodblik

Those were written as stories within the main story where in most cases the same artist was used. You can add The Pit to this as well. I still like it when one artist is responsible as we could see with Ezquerra doing the full Necropolis and Apocalypse War.

TordelBack

They're not making any more Super Squirrels, I'm afraid, so 189+ fully coloured pages over just 7 months just aren't in our future.

As it goes the structure of this tale lends itself to different artists, and MacNeil and Flint compliment each other well. I think a lot of my problems with this story arose from just how wonderfully grim Colin was painting everything, literal end-of-the-world bleakness, while what I was getting from the script was more conventional action-horror, or as others have said, a summer blockbuster.

With the switch to Flint that became clearer (to me), and I find I'm more at ease with the general silliness than I was.

None of this is to say that Colin's work was anything other than arsom - I consider him the most important 2000AD artist from the last 30 years - it was more a matter of my expectations.

sheridan

I'd have a gut feeling that one artist for an entire mega-epic produces the best results (witness Apoc War and the Big Nec) but then we wouldn't have gotten the artwork of Bolland, McMahon and Smith tag-teaming on The Cursed Earth, Day the Law Died, the Judge Child and Block Mania.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 26 July, 2020, 09:52:15 PM
I'd have a gut feeling that one artist for an entire mega-epic produces the best results (witness Apoc War and the Big Nec) but then we wouldn't have gotten the artwork of Bolland, McMahon and Smith tag-teaming on The Cursed Earth, Day the Law Died, the Judge Child and Block Mania.

Obviously other artists were involved with two of those stories, but the three I've mentioned did the majority.