Main Menu

Case Files on Kindle £1.89

Started by gronk guy, 20 May, 2013, 02:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sideshow Bob

Just watched America on my Kindle HD for only £1.89...
Great stuff, colours are sharp and dialogue is clear.  And if you use the 'panel view' option, it takes you through each panel individually and enlarges each panel slightly....Not as good as having the actual Graphic Novel in your hand, but, for only £1.89...
A Definite bargain.. !! :D..
Will now get a few more..
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

The Adventurer

But is there noticeable pixilation when you zoom into those panels?

I am seriously curious here.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Sideshow Bob

The Adventurer,
No absolutely NO Pixilation when you zoom in...Not on the Kindle HD anyway...
Apart from the constant need to 'flick' to the next panel....a bit like repeatedly turning pages, its really good....And I thought I would hate it !!....
I've since bought Twisted Dark and Tales from the Edge 'Deaths Row' and of course America, and spent less than £4.....
Give it a try, at £1.89 you'll soon know if it's 'worth it' or not.......and ( probably ) like me you'll become,  if not a complete 'convert', at least an often / occasional casual user ( if the price is right )... :D
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

hippynumber1

Absolutely with Bob on this; I hate the idea of digital books (I want the feel of paper in my hand, the smell of the ink and binding, reading is a tactile experience for me) but thought I'd give 'The Pit' and 'Origins' a go as it's going to be a while until they appear in the CFs. While not a convert, I am enjoying the accessibility of it (I can dip in and out on breaks at work for example and not risk creasing covers), and you can't really go wrong at £1.89 and will pick up others (at the right price) and buy as 'real' books at a later date...

Sideshow Bob

Yeah, I agree with that Mark....
I 'love' the feel of the Graphic Novel, and like Mark,  find reading GNs' a 'tactile' experience PLUS the big pages for me,  'enhances the artwork' and the viewing pleasure.
Although the Kindle is great for these items at these prices, it will never take over ( for me anyway ) having the actual book in my hand.....but its' great as an additional way of getting your comic fix when on holidays / travelling etc...

To be honest,  I'm so surprised at just how good it is,  I've gone ahead and bought 'The Pit' as well, for the astonishing price of £1.89....That works out about 1p per page........Can't go wrong with that.... :D

mogzilla

'bout bleedin' time  ;) my bog standard kindle handles them ok, got origins and finally the manga sized books are on there too  (see molcher does care!) no probs so far but the panel view makes some smaller but the zoom seems to be good enuff for me and my knackered eyes.

Simon Beigh

Also been enjoying these at the bargain prices, but there is an annoying "feature" with my Kindle app on my iPad. The huge white border round the margins. I don't seem to be able to zoom in to fill the screen with just the comic. I think this must be a feature of the app, rather than the comic book.

I also prefer the feel of a real graphic novel, and they have the distinct advantage of being able to be signed by their creators at events!

The Adventurer

No. I'm pretty sure its how the book is formated. See, I believe its intended for the Kindle Fire first. And the Kindle Fire is much narrower then the iPad. So when you read these comics through the Kindle reader on the iPad app, it makes these huge margins. Because if it was wider, it wouldn't fit in the Kindle Fire reader window.

Or at least its my working theory. Also, why I'm not buying any of the Kindle editions. And sticking to the Digital Shop editions. Which, I'd hope, are formatted properly.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Simon Beigh

I did wonder if it was preferential treatment for the Kindle Fire that was responsible...

For £1.89 I'm not too worried, but I certainly wouldn't pay full price for a Kindle comic.

Mardroid

While it works pretty well on my Android device, I've noticed that the sensitivity is variable. I.e. sometimes just tapping will zoom you in on the next panel. Other times you have to stroke as if flipping a page. At other times nothing seems to work and it's a matter of zooming out one panel (tap twice) then zooming in on the next panel.

I'm sure it's not my devices sensitivity as it seems fine with other apps like ComicRack and Comixology.

LorcanQ

the 1.89 mustve been a mistake, theyre back to full price (9.21).. rip-off really, no point getting the kindle version now

Simon Beigh

Quote from: LorcanQ on 31 May, 2013, 01:59:09 PM
the 1.89 mustve been a mistake, theyre back to full price (9.21).. rip-off really, no point getting the kindle version now

It was a promotion by Amazon on certain comic books. Must have ended yesterday...

Sideshow Bob

Yes, it was a 'promotional offer' and most are now back to normal price.....Which for me is a little expensive for a digital comic,  and I would prefer to pay slightly more and get the 'real' GN instead...
|However, there are still bargains to be had if you look.....

For example :
Twisted Dark...Volume 1...£0.49....Have got this myself and it's very good....Especially for 49p..
Chew Volume 1....£2.29
HP Lovecraft ..Call of Cthulhu...£1.49.
Pandora ...End of Days Vol 1...£1.59
Worlds of Lovecraft Vol 1 - 3...£1.95..

Cheers... :D

IndigoPrime

The thing was running for a month, to be fair, and Amazon also clearly stated the offer would end on the 30th. I didn't grab any 2000 AD stuff (I have the paper books), but got a ton of Doctor Who and Locke and Key.

opaque

Yeah wished I'd bought more but I have all the print copies anyway and I'll keep doing that while the Kindle versions are as (understandbly) pricey as they are. The digital versions look good but you have to hold it in your hands :P