Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid - QUARTERS - Ron Smith or Alan Davis

Started by Colin YNWA, 25 January, 2021, 06:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

well, there are only two artists left in this who i revere more than ron smith for their work on the prog.
and alan davis is one of them.

Rogue Judge

Ron Smith, easy one for me. I absolutely love his depiction of MC1!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

TordelBack

Ron Smith. We're into dangerous territory with this tourney now, true titans clashing in the mIst, but it'll take an even bigger colossus then Alan Davis to topple Ron Smith. As with a lot of the big boys, there are single pages by Ron that tower over the entire careers of other artists. The Black Plague. A Case for Treatment. Lurgan Pazazz War Wheels.The Graveyard Shift. Cap'n Skank. Citizen Snork.

JayzusB.Christ

With no disrespect towards the greatness of Alan Davis, Ron Smith is the easy choice for me here.  Remember that Dredd story about the immigrant kid with pyrokinetic powers and the delinquents who exploited him?  Now those were Mega-Citizens at their ugly, spotty finest.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Andrew_J

sixmo

Ron Smith has given us so many iconic mega-citizens. I speculated that he must have drawn by far the most citizens of Mega-City 1 of any artist on Dredd. The remarkable thing is that so many are really unique looking. Mega-City One in my mind's eye is populated by Ewins style-criminals, McMahon style-buildings, Bolland Judges, Ezquerra Dredd, and Ron Smith doing millions of regular (and irregular!) citizens.

However good Smith's citizens are, and however good his Dredd is, I was always thrown by how oddly he drew Dredd's hand holding a Lawgiver. It's a quirk of his art, but it jumps out at me as looking kinda janky. 

I am a big fan of Alan Davis's clear lines in DR & Quinch and Harry 20. If we were to do a switcheroo of artists, I don't think that Ron Smith would have been a good fit for either of these stories at all. On the other hand what would an Alan Davis version of Otto Sump, or Dave the Orangutan look like? Pretty good, I think. I don't think Davis could produce the volume of citizens as Smith, but they'd look great.

I'm picking Alan Davis in this one. 

Daveycandlish

For my money, Davis' best early work wasn't in the prog, so I'm voting Big Ron here.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

DrJomster

What's this? An easy-ish choice? Ron Smith for me on this one.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

shaolin_monkey

Colin YNWA

This one seems to be pretty clear cut, but if you want to get your voice heard vote today and I'll count up in the morning.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Think are getting mixed up a bit in this round. At least in terms of what I expected. This one has been straightforward and as you'd predict... well I'd predict I'm beginning to think I'm rubbish at knowing which artists are most popular! Anyway here there were no surprises and

Ron Smith

Is through to the semi-finals but who will he meet?