Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: brendan1 on 18 October, 2011, 09:09:07 AM
Just wait until you finally get your grubby mitts on a lightsaber. Lordy!

I look forward to that. Still very early days yet as I'm still a low level scout with my trusty blaster(s) at my side. I won three fights in the arena (actually I lost one fight then had a rematch.) and managed to use up my med packs! Thankfully they're not too expensive.

Oh, and I have a date with a sith lady coming up.  (I notice they use the word 'sith' very broadly in this story to include everyone in the Sith empire rather than the Sith Lords specifically. Which actually makes sense.)

I, Cosh

Shadow Complex off Xbox live arcade. Decent side scrolling platform shooter in the mould of Stryker's Run and such. Ludicrously easy, but it looked good, was pretty fun and only cost a fiver so it was all good.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Grabbed Shadow Complex myself while it was cheap, haven't fired it up yet though.

Been whipping out the psp on the train lately, played through Resistance: Retribution. Never played a Resistance game before but it was pretty fun. Not sure if it's supposed to be funny or if the dialogue is just dreadful but I'd like to think it's very tongue in cheek (hopefully). Controls made a good fist of trying to overcome the single analogue stick issue, and for the most part it worked a treat but towards the end the game starts lazily just throwing more and more enemies at you and the controls have trouble keeping up. It also means it starts to drag a lot in the last couple of hours. Still, was better than reading the Metro over and over again.

Also just finished Resident Evil on the gamecube! Used to play this on PS1 back in the day, and it's still fantastic. Granted it's been tarted up a wee bit, but because of the painted backgrounds and fixed angles it'll always look beautiful in it's own way. It's still surprisingly scary in places too, with a great ominous atmosphere that a lot of modern horror games can't touch. Got 2 lined up, which I remember as my favorite of the series (I reckon 4 and 5 lost a lot of the Resident Evil factor) but reckon I'll wait a bit before popping that on.

mogzilla

Quote from: mogzilla on 18 October, 2011, 05:03:34 PM
spider man end of time ...not bad not great but something i can play in the earshot of mini...

EDGE of time! wanted to enjoy this but got bored and why does spidey not web his enemies up anymore?

Professor Bear

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 23 October, 2011, 09:42:35 AMNever played a Resistance game before but it was pretty fun. Not sure if it's supposed to be funny or if the dialogue is just dreadful but I'd like to think it's very tongue in cheek (hopefully).

Just terribly writing, I'm afraid.  I've tried to finish this multiple times, but it feels like it's been going on forever.

X-Men: Destiny, which is appalling.  Cliched story and a limited choice of characters and powers just reinforce that you can't play as any of the X-regulars.  I could understand if there was enough customisation options to justify billing it as an RPG or something in that vein, but you only get three pre-created characters and three basic and largely similar combat powers to choose from.  The visuals would be okay if this was on a PS2, I guess, but the dialog is grimace-inducing, and the 'choice' system is irrelevant and slows the pace of combat down rather than adds to the story.  I'm also pretty sure that someone like myself who does not have a great deal of investment in X-Men shouldn't be able to pick holes in continuity, like the Welsh character who here speaks with a Valley Girl accent.

I have no idea who this game is aimed at - it's too basic as a beat-em-up, RPG or fanservice exercise to appeal to any one group of fans, and not good enough as a whole to entice casual gamers and renters.

Radbacker

Heroes of Might and Magic 6 on the PC, well they haven't changed much up from the last one but these games really dont need to change things too much as they'll loose the fan base if they make it too different.  I love me these old turn based stratagey games and been playing this series since the original Kings Bounty, no time at all for the normal Might and Magic games though give me a world to conquore not a shitty dungeon to clear.

oh and Battlefields 3 is out this Thursday, bye bye any free time I have for the next couple of months.

CU Radbacker

Spaceghost

As a lowly Wii owner, I don't have access to all these new-fangled brown looking games featuring grimacing, muscle-bound men wielding huge guns, striding round brown landscapes shooting at other grimacing, muscle-bound men.

I have to make do with jolly, colourful games brimming with innovation and joy.

I've just finished Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (a bit late I know) and it was excellent. It was very similar to the wonderful Ocarina of Time from the N64 days but featured enough in the way of improvement and new features to ensure it fell on just the right side of loving update.

I've never played a Zelda game that I didn't enjoy and this one didn't dissappoint. It didn't have the same feeling of something brand new like the recent Spirit Tracks on the DS but it was just what I wanted as a Zelda fan.

There's the familiar set-up of a hub world to gallop around on my trusty steed, progressively harder dungeons in which you will often find a new item or weapon which in turn is used to beat the boss in a, typically, exciting battle.

I enjoyed it but I'm ready for something different now and apparently, the new Wii Zelda; Skyward Sword, has shaken up the formula somewhat. I can't wait to play it.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

It's crunch time for me and Zelda - I might buy Skyward Sword, might not - depends on reviews (can't even remember when I last bought a Wii game - probably around two years ago...?). I enjoyed Twilight Princess, but it just felt like same old, same old, and the dark/light dual-world mechanic wasn't satisfying in the way it was in A link to the Past, or the way the past/future worked in Ocarina of Time. It's a series in desperate need of a shake-up, and I really hope SS delivers.

Early videos I've seen look great and the combat sword-swinging looks really fun - this is exactly the sort of thing we were promised when the Wii launched which has never been delivered on.

Currently playing through Dead Space on the iPhone. It's not bad, and looks stunning for an iOS game, but it quickly becomes apparent that there is a lot of repetition in the levels and it gets boring quite quickly - you're essentially playing the same bits of level over and over. The controls are also an issue - it works better than I expected, but crucially it always gets fiddly when you're under pressure. If only someone would manufacture a sort of clip-on joypad for the iPhone - would make playing these types of games so much more fun.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Lee Bates on 24 October, 2011, 12:04:30 PM
I've never played a Zelda game that I didn't enjoy and this one didn't dissappoint.
You should try Wind Waker. Only one I've ever played and it was really rather tedious.
We never really die.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 October, 2011, 09:09:48 PM
I've never played a Zelda game that I didn't enjoy and this one didn't dissappoint.
You should try Wind Waker. Only one I've ever played and it was really rather tedious.

I thought Wind Waker started well but it went downhill about half-way through. I remember hearing rumours that it was rushed to meet a deadline
You may quote me on that.

Greg M.

Quote from: pops1983 on 24 October, 2011, 09:15:21 PM
Quote from: The Cosh on 24 October, 2011, 09:09:48 PM

I thought Wind Waker started well but it went downhill about half-way through. I remember hearing rumours that it was rushed to meet a deadline

I believe that's true - it's at least a dungeon shorter than it ought to be. That said, I still absolutely love it - it's a gorgeous-looking game and still plenty of fun. As a side note, Ganon remains my all-time video game nemesis - not Link's, mine. I got so into trying to beat him at the end of 'Link to the Past' on the SNES that I forgot I had food in the oven. Many video game bad guys have proved dastardly, but only Ganon has ever burnt my dinner. Bastard.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

It's definitely the most beautiful Zelda game I've ever played
You may quote me on that.

Tiplodocus

I recall TWILIGHT PRINCESS having a really slow start but livening up considerably with some fantastic dungeons.  And the reveal of Midna and the final speechless joke were the perfect ending.

WINDWAKER troubled me for a while because I had a real problem getting past the first dungeon (pirates fortress) and working out the mechanics of the sea and the side quests. But once all of that slotted into place in my head it was great. And the art style is beautifully effective. Definitely short though - one of the bosses was just the previous 5 bosses rolled into one!

I really enjoyed PHANTOM HOURGLASS on my (Frank Quietely Batman) DS Lite. Probably because I actually got to play it ALL BY MYSELF without children snatching the controller from me.  The repeated visits to the temple of time got a tad tiresome though.

SPIRIT TRACKS was just too similar to PHANTOM HOURGLASS (and too soon) so I haven't really given it much of a chance yet.

But really loving the chance to do OCARINA OF TIME in 3D all by myself.  It really is fabulous stuff and the polish to the graphics adds extra character to an already characterful game!
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Tiplodocus

Dunno where else to post this - don't want to start a new thread...

Did anybody see the BATTLEFIELD 3 simulator that they built on the Gadget Show last night?

Looked fantastic! 180 degree vision (that moved so you never had a gap in the reality), an omni directional treadmill for movement, ambient lighting, surround sound, kinnect controls for jumping and crouching and the iphone shooter app for pointing and shooting. Not forgetting the dozen paint ball guns that fired at you when you took incoming fire in the game.

You do wonder why
a) this sort of "experience" isn't available at movie theme parks
b) why HM armed forces don't use this sort of thing in training (but with more realistic scenarios - Andy McNab was shrugging off RPGs)?
c) Suzi Perry. Yum.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Doctor Alt 8

Adrian got me playing some rounds of the X box kinetic adventures... Was surprised at how good I was initially but I'm hardly lady-like in the amount of sweat I produced...