Main Menu

Mazeworld

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 August, 2009, 05:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Gloady

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 September, 2009, 02:52:52 AM
Metalzoic, now, that I would love to see again.  Pat Mills and Kev O'Neill - have they ever, as a team, put a foot wrong?
Not in my book.  With other creators?  Sure, but together they're pure gold.

PLEASE DC, GET METALZOIC BACK IN PRINT!
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Colin YNWA

I'm guessing you mean the overview of Mazeworld itself as seen by Adam from the back of a Dragonthingie. If so its amazing, if its another one dig that one out its...at the risk of repeating myself... amazing!

Colin YNWA

With apologise for double post.

Just finished Book 3 on the way to work this morning and what a trimph it was. Possibly my favourite of the lot. At some point I'll sit down and read all three books in one go to see how it ties together, god knows when as I've so much still to read for the first time.

Still over the three books Mazeworld is an absolute gem of a story, not quite up there with the classics with apologise to Gavin but a really good long story with a behinding middle and very satisfactiry end.

vzzbux

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 12 November, 2009, 11:58:19 AM
With apologise for double post.

Just finished Book 3 on the way to work this morning and what a trimph it was. Possibly my favourite of the lot. At some point I'll sit down and read all three books in one go to see how it ties together, god knows when as I've so much still to read for the first time.

Still over the three books Mazeworld is an absolute gem of a story, not quite up there with the classics with apologise to Gavin but a really good long story with a behinding middle and very satisfactiry end.

Don't forget the exquisite Ranson art.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: vzzbux on 12 November, 2009, 09:28:59 PM

Don't forget the exquisite Ranson art.

V

Well absolutely his work is just wonderful throughout be it the beginning, the behinding, middle or end.

Sometimes my ridiculous typos annoy even me...

Gavin_Leahy_Block

I'm just delighted that you enjoyed it, Colin. I'm thinking of having a root around tonight and having a big reread of it in the next few days.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 13 November, 2009, 04:45:46 PM
I'm just delighted that you enjoyed it, Colin. I'm thinking of having a root around tonight and having a big reread of it in the next few days.

If you do report back on how well it all fits together. I assume that Grant had it planned out from start to finish but even reading it over a few months I don't think I picked up on all the details that I suspect are there when its read in one sitting. One day I'll get around to it, one day...

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Well i didn't have much on today so I did a big search and reread of the fantastic Mazeworld. Thankfully it held up as much as when I first read it and it is still one of my favorite stories to appear in 2000ad.
There is a definite plan that fits all three together with small remarks in the first book becoming key plot points in the third book.
The double page spread Emperor speaks is at the end of the first part of book one, this is Cadman's first introduction to Mazeworld.
The movement between worlds is also fantastic and works so well. Arthur Ranson's art throughout is outstanding and when someone puts so much effort into everything including the borders and the page layout, you know you are in for a treat.
There did seem to be a change of shift in the third book after the rebellion has gained control and it becomes more like your typical fantasy story, with demon and the like posing the threat. This stood out a little and separated this book from the others but never took away from my enjoyment of it.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Gavin_Leahy on 07 January, 2010, 06:20:36 PM

There did seem to be a change of shift in the third book after the rebellion has gained control and it becomes more like your typical fantasy story, with demon and the like posing the threat.

I wonder how much impact Rebellion would gave had given that its creator owned?

House of Usher

Ugh. Mazeworld. Nine different kinds of ghastly.
STRIKE !!!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 07 January, 2010, 06:33:08 PM
I wonder how much impact Rebellion would gave had given that its creator owned?

Oh! I was actually refereeing to the to the rebellion within the story not "Rebellion".

Colin YNWA

Which having read your post again is blindingly obvious (and actually historically more accurate cos I don't think Rebellion had taken over by the time Book 3 came out come to think of it). I'm going to once again shuffle off to the corner hanging my head in shame and promise to try to do better next time...

WhizzBang

I just read this for the first time today, having bought it at the weekend because I liked the cover. I had no preconceptions and had not heard of it before but really enjoyed it, couldn't put it down until I had read it all. Are there any other one-off volumes like this that anyone can recommend?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Leviathan by Eddington and D'Israeli is a lot of fun
You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: WhizzBang on 30 October, 2012, 08:22:44 PM
Are there any other one-off volumes like this that anyone can recommend?

Seconded for Leviathan.

Also: Necronauts.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.