Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Crusade gn - for the love of Grud why?

Started by Richard, 10 October, 2011, 11:56:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

I've just had a thought (an only child I'm told).  As has been mentioned the stories in this trade are due to appear in the Case Files in the next couple of years.  What if (and it's a BIG if) the stories are considered so bad that Tharg has decided to print them seperately and not include them in the CFs?  Completist (and masochist) can still buy them but the rest of us don't have to sully our case files with crap.

Bear in mind that I haven't read the stories in question (I had stopped reading between the late '80s and '95) so I cant say how good or bad they are.

Cactus

There's enough crap in Case Files 18 and Restricted Files 1 that I think that's an unlikely approach to take.

I was still fairly new to 2000ad when Crusade was printed and haven't read it since (Crusade that is, I still get the prog each week!) but I do recall it being a bit rubbish. And that's coming from someone who quite likes seeing the various world judges - I even like Pan-African Justice. I might dig out those mid 90s progs and relive classics like Crusade, Mambo and the Grudgefather.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

MR. ELIMINATOR

This is kinda why I haven't started to collect case files yet. As I would want to collect from the start, but I don't want to read really bad early stories. I think they should only re-print the best stories and maybe have quick summaries to let you know of anything important that took place in-between.

Colin YNWA

In terms of the Case Files isn't this from SnS and hence for the America market so it'd be years before their Case Files get to it.

vzzbux

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 20 October, 2011, 02:25:23 AM
This is kinda why I haven't started to collect case files yet. As I would want to collect from the start, but I don't want to read really bad early stories. I think they should only re-print the best stories and maybe have quick summaries to let you know of anything important that took place in-between.
Trouble is who decides whats shit and whats not. One mans Dog egg is another mans Fabergé egg.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: vzzbux on 20 October, 2011, 09:24:14 PM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 20 October, 2011, 02:25:23 AM
Trouble is who decides whats shit and whats not. One mans Dog egg is another mans Fabergé egg.

V

True, there is that problem, but general reception of a story should be enough for rebellion to tell if it is worth re-publishing.

SmallBlueThing

Last night, due to my wife and her friend watching naked ladies on dvd and my laptop's dvd player dying, i had to find something to do while i reinstalled everything. So i started a massive reread of the case files from volume one.
Let me tell you there's NOTHING 'really really bad' about those early strips. I even got through the robot wars in one sitting, which surprised me.

SBT

Spaceghost

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 21 October, 2011, 10:06:16 AM
Last night, due to my wife and her friend watching naked ladies on dvd and my laptop's dvd player dying, i had to find something to do while i reinstalled everything. So i started a massive reread of the case files from volume one.
Let me tell you there's NOTHING 'really really bad' about those early strips. I even got through the robot wars in one sitting, which surprised me.

SBT

YOU HAD TO FIND SOMETHING TO DO INSTEAD OF WATCHING NAKED LADIES ON DVD WITH YOUR WIFE? ARE YOU INSANE MAN?

You're right though; The first Case Files is pretty cheesy and clunky but also great fun and fascinating from a historical point of view. Seeing how Dredd and MC-1 evolved from the early stories into what we know now makes reading volume one essential.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Hawkmumbler

I did a bad thing today. I skipped from volume 9 to volume 14 so I could have Necropolis. Please tell me I'm not the only person who did this?

spireite68

I have read worse stories than Crusade. Mick Austins art is excellent, his depiction of Dredd is one of the best for me. I have always been a Mick Austin fan.
You creeps must think I sailed through space on a synthi-biscuit!

vzzbux

For my sins I quite enjoyed Crusade first time round, I think it was the pull of a mix of round the world judges. Have never had the oportunity to read it again.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SmallBlueThing

Thank fuck for that- i thought i was the only one. My memory of Crusade is that while it wasnt by any means the Dredd i remembered from my childhood, it was at least 100% more fun than the strip had been of late.

I have no excuse for not reading it since, other than getting the progs out means moving lots of boxes, opening bags and then repeating the process in reverse when im done. Im quite looking forward to the new trade, actually. If only for the mick austin art.

SBT

Buttonman

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 14 October, 2011, 11:00:48 AM
I'm re reading it now, especially after Cosh reminding me about my letter. You didn't add the bit that went
QuoteI always keep a spare copy of the few letters that I have sent in and they are bagged with the comics

What a weirdo! I keep my unpublished letters in a file marked 'Green Git'.

That Burdis Beast entry in full :

JOHN   BURDIS   MAIDSTONE   M80/V2.60
JOHN   BURDIS   MAIDSTONE   935
JOHN   BURDIS   MAIDSTONE   943
JOHN   BURDIS   KENT                2008
JOHN   BURDIS   MAIDSTONE   1631
JOHN   BURDIS   MAIDSTONE   1677

mogzilla

well,i for one am looking forward to it, i never saw it in the day ...

Jedit

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 21 October, 2011, 10:01:58 PM
I did a bad thing today. I skipped from volume 9 to volume 14 so I could have Necropolis. Please tell me I'm not the only person who did this?

What was the point?  Everything that explains Necropolis is in the volumes you skipped.