Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

Quote from: wedgeski on 15 March, 2019, 12:00:34 PM
Quote from: wedgeski on 29 January, 2019, 04:59:19 PM
I've just started Revelation Space after trying it out, wow, 15 years ago and not liking it. Enjoying it much more this time around.
The Inhibitor trilogy ended up being my holiday reading. I really loved it, but a very strange non-ending. Apparently a few loose ends are dealt with in other novels?
Can I just shamelessly bump this? Are there any Reynolds aficionado's on the board who can help me?

Theblazeuk

I mean, they return to the universe of the Inhibitor series. Chasm City is set in, well, Chasm City - the fallen metropolis on Yellowstone. The Prefect books take place in the Glitter Band, before the melding plague. Many of his short stories take place in the era before the Melding Plague as well, such as Diamond Dogs. I can't think of what particular loose ends get resolved where, unfortunately. The Inhibitors (Hostile advanced AI) themselves appear in slightly different forms in slightly different settings (Deep time future and stories told over relativistic distances) in his short stories as well, so there is a bit of a blurring in my memory.

Chasm City is the one that ties closest in, as far as I can recall.

Fungus

Theblazeuk

Lazarus is back!

And it's another slice of gold, as always.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 26 March, 2019, 04:52:14 PM
Lazarus is back!

And it's another slice of gold, as always.

Bumper sized too.

Theblazeuk

Yeah I'm really enjoying the format, along with the supplementary fiction and material at the back it's perfect.

CalHab

I've just finished "Broadsword Calling Danny Boy" by Geoff Dyer (not a hard task, it barely breaks 100 pages). It is certainly the best book about "Where Eagles Dare" that I've read this year.

An odd read, it's mostly just the author's musings on the absurdity of the action and the mind of Richard Burton, but worth picking up if you have any affection for that film.

Gtheperson

I've just finished The Cold Between by Elizabeth Bonesteel, which was very good. A sort of sci-fi action thriller with some romance thrown in. Also A Time Travellers Guide to Medieval England, which was really interesting and pretty different from other history books I've read, giving a real feel of life in the 1300s.
Next on the pile is Reynold's Elysium Fire - I'm looking forward to getting back into the Revelation Space universe and I enjoyed The Prefect a lot back when I read it.

The Adventurer

Got some new reading material off Ebay to sink some teeth into this month.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

MacabreMagpie

'Dark Places' by Gillian Flynn currently. I was a little worried I wouldn't enjoy it so much because I REALLY loved 'Gone Girl' but my favourite element of her writing, I think, is the dark humour and that was pretty absent in 'Sharp Objects'. But despite it being more like the latter, I've found this much more immediately engaging at almost 100 pages in.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 30 March, 2019, 03:43:59 AM
Got some new reading material off Ebay to sink some teeth into this month.

I do love how Larsen and co. utilised the silver age lenses of Big Bang to give the original Mighty Man more material. I'm still hoping for a full on Big Bang Comics Omnibus treatment one day...

Apestrife

Faithless #1 written by Brian Azzarello, drawn by Maria Llovet. Really really good first issue. A girl Faith does magic signs and meets a mystery girl called Poppy. Day drinking, sex and a bit of horror stuff follows. First of all, Llovet's art is amazing. I'm amazed how much she does with so few lines. Loose and beautiful style. Also really cool to see Brian Azzarello writing something a bit different from the quite dark stuff he's been writing recently. For starters, it's set in day time. +1 positivity! No but seriously, it's a bit more grounded in reality than let's say Batman Damned. It's more fantastic elements reminded me a bit of how Haruki Murakami handles that stuff. Can't wait to read the next issue :)

Also. If someone is worried, the sex in this book is much more sensual rather than "sexy".

Here's a preview if anyone is interested :) https://www.boom-studios.com/2019/03/04/a-first-look-at-brian-azzarello-maria-llovets-faithless-1/

Theblazeuk

Xstatix - the original run, in preparation for an rpg game where we're playing celebrity superheroes. Allred and Milligan make for a rather special book indeed!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 April, 2019, 12:32:27 AM
Xstatix - the original run, in preparation for an rpg game where we're playing celebrity superheroes. Allred and Milligan make for a rather special book indeed!

It is brilliant and I'm delighted to see there's a special / one shot coming out soon(ish) by Milligan and Allred.

Rately

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 16 April, 2019, 06:08:23 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 16 April, 2019, 12:32:27 AM

It is brilliant and I'm delighted to see there's a special / one shot coming out soon(ish) by Milligan and Allred.

Loved the Milligan / Allred books back in the day.

Will definitely keep an eye out for this.

I've started Locke and Key, having bought it in a Humble Bundle years ago. Been excellent so far, and really enjoying both story and art.