Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 December, 2017, 10:40:07 AM
God, I miss living in London even more.

the man who tires of London tires of tyres.
DDT did a job on me

von Boom

Quote from: Proudhuff on 08 December, 2017, 04:00:13 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 December, 2017, 10:40:07 AM
God, I miss living in London even more.

the man who tires of London tires of tyres.

Doctor Goodyear?

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

You don't think male privilege exists? 

I sat between my regional manager and the No. 2 in my Union at tonight's Christmas party, both ladies in their 40s. I initially found myself joking that I was being sexually harassed by the former ('Have you seen the Star Wars sex toys you can get online? There are some things should never look like Darth Vader's helmet - and some things definitely should') to the latter, then after more wine was consumed, joking that I was being harassed by the latter ('What age were you when you first had anal sex? If you can't remember, we can always pop to the toilets for a quick refresher') to the former. "Nowhere left to turn!" I wailed, dramatically.  But while some of it was mildly awkward (as my own rather more junior staff were in earshot) I didn't feel remotely pressured or harassed. Now imagine I was a woman sat between two men in positions of relative power.

Then I got the last tram and took a shortcut across some frosty wasteground at 1am, and my main concern was breaking through some puddle ice because I have a hole in my shoe.

That there is male privilege.

The Legendary Shark

Interesting observation, Tordels. I wonder, though, is that entirely male privilege or could at least some of it be male mindset? (Male mindset admittedly being foisted on all society by male privilege.)

Sounds like a good party, though!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Fair point, Sharky!  The keen observer may have detected more than a degree of festive inebriation in that post, but I suppose I was reflecting on the fact that at no point in my evening did I feel I had to analyse what was being said to me in case there was an implied pressure or threat there, nor was I threatened by the environments I was in, which I strongly suspect would not be the case if I had been a woman. 

Hence, male privilege.

I understand that there are circumstances where men feel more at risk than women (the risk of being picked out for a drunken fight, for example), and I've seen the nasty put-downs and bullying that can go one between men in the workplace, but being able to ignore (or join in) with sex-laden banter from more senior colleagues of the opposite sex and know that there were no consequences for me... well.

Proudhuff

answer the grudamn questions!
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

At least buy me dinner first, Huff.

The Legendary Shark

Heh, I don't want to spoil the thread again so I'll keep my thoughts concerning Planet Misogyny to myself :)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

I wasn't calling you a misogynist by the way, Tordels - just observing that we live in a misogynistic world.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

That's an old Madonna song isn't it?  "Living in a misogynist world ...."

The Legendary Shark

Misogyny, misogyny, where did I put my sogyny?

I'll get me man coat (manorak?)...

I know, I know. I'm going...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Goaty

Fossil hunters find man-sized penguin on New Zealand beach

So Mountains of Madness was real?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Quote from: Goaty on 12 December, 2017, 08:53:16 PM
Fossil hunters find man-sized penguin on New Zealand beach

So Mountains of Madness was real?