Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

It's an interesting premise, so I'll probably read it as well, but I can't say I'm a massive fan of Kieron Gillen, he doesn't seem to be able to write a three-dimensional character. He's not terrible, though.

Theblazeuk

I see what you mean (Wicked and Divine, Uber, even if I do enjoy those books), though his Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra were I think exceptions. Largely because it's Star Wars and every character had at least as many dimensions as the movies managed.

I think Die might be a little different due to its premise, but we'll see.

Apestrife

Fight Club 3 #1
I really liked Fight Club 2, and I think the third feels like it's going in all the right directions for me. Just like part 2, it doesn't feel like a book "tries", it does --what ever it's doing --and I'm onboard :)

Heroes in Crisis #5
Quite intriguied by this one. Not sure yet if it's a winner or not, but I'll stay with it to the last issue. While I think it's a bit stiff at times it also delivers some really cool and interesting moments. Some of the Batgirl stuff wasn't my fav, but I was floored by Harley's last page. Wow.

PreacherCain

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 29 January, 2019, 11:42:18 AM
I see what you mean (Wicked and Divine, Uber, even if I do enjoy those books), though his Darth Vader and Doctor Aphra were I think exceptions. Largely because it's Star Wars and every character had at least as many dimensions as the movies managed.

I think Die might be a little different due to its premise, but we'll see.

I read the first two issues the other day and really enjoyed them. Gillen's stuff is a bit hit and miss for me. I really like Uber and his Star Wars comics but Wicked&Divine and Phonogram don't do it for me. I've always put it down to different musical tastes!

CalHab

Phonogram is certainly the worst written of Gillen's work that I've read. It's a shame, as Jamie McKelvie does a good job on it.

Colin YNWA

Nice little mini haul this time as I had to go to the Nerd shop and get some baggin' supplies for selling some stuff. Anyway goes a little like this.

James Bond 3 is just well done Bond fun, enjoying this. Lone Ranger 4 is Mark Russell genius as he uses the genius villian from last time to really crank up the jeapardy and excitment .

Black Hammer - Quantum Age 6 is the real star - wow what a great way to land this story with a genuinely fascinating and origin way to resolve the impossibly challenging super villian fight. Just loved this. Jeff Lemire is creating all the superhero universe you will ever need with his Black Hammer stuff!

Hawkmumbler

Black Hammer is absolute dynamite right now. Pick of the haul for me.

Mardroid

Reddin

A supernatural horror western. I downloaded it a while back but only just read it.

The [spoiler]demonic possession[/spoiler] stuff wasn't particularly original, but blending it into a Western resulted in something rather unique, I thought. I enjoyed that a lot.

Hawkmumbler

Well I love me some Wyrd Western Horror so i'll be keeping my eye out for that!

Theblazeuk

I've bounced off Shadow Roads, which is a shame because I loved The Sixth Gun

Colin YNWA

Been a clear month since I've been to the nerd shop for one reason or another. Always interesting when that happens as it give you a clear impression of what your monthly spend it and February has been a pretty typical month. And the total...

13 comics and Previews (and assosiated gubbins) for a little under £50... comics huh. Anyway using that as a spring board lets discuss value by way of reviewing this time shall we.

Judge Dredd - Toxic 4 = absolute bunkum hokum crappy Dredd = $3.99 - feeling like the pain of buying a train ticket - its get you to the destination but christ its a painful experience

Criminal 2 you know this is good, really good... but hold on the complete disconintuation from last time was jarring and ... well I just didn't enjoy this as much as the long form stories by Brubaker and Phillips...mind as always its a nice bumper package. $3.99 like money spent on a four pack of Yum Yums - I mean its good value, you get filled and they taste great but you'll always think you should have gone for the dounuts.

Turok 2 $3.99 like coming out the same bakery with an iced bun for the same money, I mean its okay but really its all a bit pointless when you think of the exciting baked treats with either jam, chocolate and / or cream you could have got.

James Bond - Origin 6 the money spent on a nice pint ($3.99) its pleasent while its there but unless you get another two or three like that will it really have any effect.

James Bond 004 so you get the second $3.99 pint and again its good and you enjoy it, but its still not really hitting home and you realise your not in the mood for any more tonight. Still 2 pints were pleasent enough.

Immortal Hulk 13 $3.99 so on the way home you get a nice bottle of wine which has been reduced. It much tastier, will last a lot longer and you'll come back to the same treat again another time and it will still be great.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 40 $3.99 like finding you're fav sweeties are on sale. Great.

Dick Tracy - Dead of Alive 4 first of a number of endings and at $3.99 this one is like finding the final film in a franchise you love is on sale at HMV - you don't really need to buy it but it wraps things up well and its money well spent.

Lone Ranger 5 see above BUT this time you really, really want them to make another and you'd defo buy it if they did as its bloody brilliant.

Mars Attacks 5 - see above exactly.

Black Hammer 8 $3.99 - like spending money on something that always keeps you happy and frankly the cost doesn't matter.

Mage 15 $7.99 - I spend £300 on my Switch - its a bloody wonderful thing and I'll get so much pleasure out of it the cost is academic it will always be exception value.

Gunning for Hits 2 $3.99 picking up a record from a charity shop, you only vaguely know group, the cover is cool so you give it a whirl and you are so GLAD you did. You also know the money is going to a good place. Warm glows all round!

The Adventurer

Interesting pull list there Colin. I can't believe Mage is finally over. I also can't believe Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur made it to 40 issues. Incredible.

I haven't put a pull list together lately.... let's do that for fun.

Savage Dragon
The Weather Man
East of West
Paper Girls
Saga (on hiatus)
Die!Die!Die!
Isola
Oblivion Song
Man-Eaters
Murder Falcon
Monstress

Coda
Adventure Time Season 11

Go Bots
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Urban Legends
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen- The Tempest (mini)
Dick Tracy - Dead or Alive (mini)
Usagi Yojimbo
GI Joe - Sierra Muerte (mini)

Battlestar Galactica Classic

Black Hammer - Age of Doom

2000 AD

Heroes in Crisis
Shazam
The Green Lantern
Martian Manhunter (maxi)
Electric Warriors (mini)
Freedom Fighters (maxi)
Female Furies (mini)
Young Justice
Naomi
Wonder Twins
Dial H for HERO
The Wild Storm (maxi)

*begins hyperventilating*

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Quote from: The Adventurer on 04 March, 2019, 03:21:53 PM
I haven't put a pull list together lately.... let's do that for fun.

Yes, it is a bit of fun.
Sad to report that my pull list is currently on life support though:

2000AD
Judge Dredd Megazine
Cinema Purgatorio (Maxi) - Read somewhere that this anthology is wrapping up in 2019, which is a shame. I really enjoyed it, in particular Moore and O'Neills wry contributions.
It Came out on a Wednesday (Ongoing) - Predictably, I'm a sucker for a decent anthology, and this is not only pretty good but €2.00 a pop! Bizarrely, its printed on the old style newsprint (keeping costs low I guess). Been a mixed bag so far- but far more hit than miss.
Batman / Maxx (Mini) - Love Sam Keith's work, and will be inclined to pick up anything he does. Seems like ages since the last issue (3) was released, now that I think of it.
The Green Lantern (Ongoing?) - Superstar creative team of Morrison & Sharp. Couldn't say no.
Doomsday Clock (Maxi) - Long delays and some head scratching aside, it still feels like a worthwhile read. Will see it out I think.

I also picked up recent issues of 'The Batman who Laughs' and 'Lucifer' (Vol 3) but dropped them from the pull list quickly enough unfortunately.

The Adventurer

The Green Lantern has been a trip. Morrison and Shape are basicly just going full 80s UK with it, I think a lot of people here would get a kick out of it. Jordon goes full Judge Dredd in issue 3 too, confronting gods and arresting planets.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Adventurer on 04 March, 2019, 03:21:53 PM
Interesting pull list there Colin. I can't believe Mage is finally over. I also can't believe Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur made it to 40 issues. Incredible.

Always nice to see you back on your thread Adventurer. Yeah that Mage has finished after 35ish years is fantastic and that Moon Girl and big read are almost 1/2 through their fourth year possibly even more so. Rumour has it they do really well on the Scholastic books sales? Nothing to base that on aside from what I read in some places but something is keeping them around and it certainly doesn't seem to be floppies sales that's for sure. I think I'm the only middle aged fat comic cliche bloke who reads the comic!

Really impressive pull list you have. I'll update my soon with all the comics I don't get that haven't offically been cancelled yet... it makes for a depressing read!