Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin_Leahy_Block

5) 1270

4) 1183

3) 1442

2) 1187

1) 1534

Mike Gloady

Simple, intuitive and, the key point, wrong. 

There wasn't a year 0, so we count 1-10, ergo the "millenium" was begun in 2001, not 2000 and this "noughties" decade, if it began a year later than the masses might mistakenly believe, still has a year and a day to run.

*sigh*
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 December, 2009, 06:56:52 PM
None of that reduces the fact that the Emperor is entirely right and I was defining the decade in question 2000-2009 and hence having Prog 2000 at number one was wrong.
Wrong by calendar, right by content. Over on 2000ADreview, the yearly review threads always start from the preceding Prog 200x as that's when the storylines start. Same thing applies here, times a million as Prog 2000 really symbolises the rebirth of Tharg's Mighty Organ. In the same way, some historians will tell you the 19th century lasted from 1789 to 1914.

I'm just surprised so many people have gone for it as I find it pretty boring.
We never really die.

Emperor

Quote from: The Cosh on 30 December, 2009, 07:32:19 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 December, 2009, 06:56:52 PM
None of that reduces the fact that the Emperor is entirely right and I was defining the decade in question 2000-2009 and hence having Prog 2000 at number one was wrong.
Wrong by calendar, right by content. Over on 2000ADreview, the yearly review threads always start from the preceding Prog 200x as that's when the storylines start. Same thing applies here, times a million as Prog 2000 really symbolises the rebirth of Tharg's Mighty Organ. In the same way, some historians will tell you the 19th century lasted from 1789 to 1914.

Good point on the content front, if we were dealing with the stories (and as the stories run on into the next year it isn't a big deal, unless there was an especially fine one-off from Prog 2000) but this is just about the covers.

I think we need an adjudicator - Pete Wells: King of Kovers?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

W. R. Logan

I'd quite happily see Prog 2000 not eligable, its a good cover but not a great cover, its very stiff and if it wasnt for the computer wizardry of the hill of covers would it be as good.

Pete Wells

QuoteI think we need an adjudicator - Pete Wells: King of Kovers?

Aaaagh, the pressure! My answer is... I dunno! But, as this thread has been started, let's just go for it! And heck, because it's still Christmas (kinda) we'll include Prog 2000. After all, by it's very nature, it was spiritually the start of the century's Progs.

Hmmm, I'm going to spend lots of time today going through the decade's covers. Aaaagh, deciding my cover of the year was bad enough!

Pete Wells

Bah, trying to do this and it's nigh on impossible! However, can I ask a quick question? Dandontdare's fifth choice (prog 1179, below) looks really familiar, is it based on a film poster or something?