Main Menu

wireless network help needed!

Started by the styrofoam kid, 24 November, 2008, 01:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the styrofoam kid

Hello everyone,

This is by way of being a plea for advice, as my PC has gone belly up and there seems to be a reasonable degree of computer-savvyness on this board!

Basically, I've lost my wireless network connection.  I recently installed Norton 360 on my machine, and, within a day or so, my wireless network connection had gone. Simply disappeared. Bizarrely, the various networks run by neighbours etc were still showing on the list of available networks, but the network I use (my flatmates AOL one) simply didn't show up anymore.

Assuming that this had something to do with the Norton firewall, I disabled that, to no effect.  So I then fiddled with the Norton settings a bit (very technical, that last bit) and the network came back.  Great, I thought.  Unfortunately, once the machine had been restarted the network was gone again. So I replicated what I did last time, but no joy...

Anyway, I used my flatmates machine to scour the web for insight, and basically saw that many other Vista users had had a similar problem.  So, I stripped Norton off the machine, and the network immediately reappeared!

Confident that this was sorted, I switched the machine off.  Upon restarting, though, the network is once again nowhere to be seen.  As a bizarre side effect, I can no longer run itunes, as Quicktime seems to have disappeared from my machine too!

So, here is my plea:
1) can anyone tell me what the bloody hell is going on?
2) can anyone tell me how to fix it?

Hope no-one minds a long-time lurker and only occasional poster popping up asking for help, but I really am stuck.  Help me 2000ad messageboard, you're my only hope!

Wake

I recently helped solve someone's wireless connection problem. They were able to use Instant Messenger, but not the web. The problem was that a use DNS server box hads been ticked. I think it might have happened when a Norton firewall expired.

the styrofoam kid

Quote from: "Wake"I recently helped solve someone's wireless connection problem. They were able to use Instant Messenger, but not the web. The problem was that a use DNS server box hads been ticked. I think it might have happened when a Norton firewall expired.

Thanks Wake, that sounds like a good place to start.  Excuse the non-technical nature of this next question, but assuming that what I need to do is untick said use DNS server box, where would I find it??  Can I just do a search for this or will I need to find it in a sub-menu somewhere?

Appreciate the help

jakeblues69

First off, Norton sucks. Get NOD32 for your "protection".
I'm Dr. Rockso, the rock and roll clown. I do cocaine! My video was banned from music television, cause you could see my junk... through my jumpsuit!

Wake

Quote from: "the styrofoam kid"Thanks Wake, that sounds like a good place to start.  Excuse the non-technical nature of this next question, but assuming that what I need to do is untick said use DNS server box, where would I find it??  Can I just do a search for this or will I need to find it in a sub-menu somewhere?

Appreciate the help

I can't remember, but have a go with Control Panel - Network and Internet Connections then Network Connections to get to the Connections Manager and then check the properties of the wireless connection and see if you can find any references to DNS.

Cheers,

Wake

CraveNoir

If other networks are showing up, it may be that your modem/router is set to a wireless channel greater than 11, and your PC therefore isn't seeing it, but will see nearby networks. In short, if you check the properties of your wireless network card (probably under properties>configure>advanced or something like that), you can set it to look within a range of 1-13, rather than the usual 1-11. Might be worth a try.