Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Here's the link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/FMWVWGR
They ask lots of the right questions I think. They also mention Dark Justice as a possible to include, which would suggest they are definitely not extending the JDMC.

JaHawkDroid

Interesting that the survey is offering a digital edition of the collection as a potential subscription gift - that would certainly be an interesting development for a partwork.

I'm quite glad the Mega Collection isn't apparently getting an extension. This 2000AD collection gives Hachette the flexibility to release titles that could have been part of an extension (Enceladus, Dark Justice, etc) but interspersed with other classics. It's a much wider variety of story.

The only thing that worries me about this is the potential for having to double dip on stories. For example, let's say the Strontium Dog volumes includes the post-Final Solution stories, and then one or two earlier tales. It would mean having to get Agency Files as well. If it is to be an Ultimate Collection, it needs to be very focused on what it is and isn't providing from the start. With such a wide library, I don't want it to go the JDMC route of only announcing volumes when they arrive with subscribers.

IndigoPrime

That's the rub, isn't it? That punt regarding what you're going to get on investing 800 quid. A third of Nikolai Dante, for example, wouldn't really cut it for me, but I'd happily see Sláine stop at Horned God. Many others, I suspect, would vehemently disagree with that line of thinking. I suppose it's impossible to know how patchy such a partwork will be. Certainly, 2000 AD has the potential to be more coherent than, say, Marvel, simply due to having less material to select from. Even so, while 80 volumes can house most of what people would consider the better Dreddworld strips, the same page count will have a tougher job with 'everything else 2000 AD has ever run'. I both do and don't envy Matt Smith in this particular task (assuming he's making the selections again).

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 01 March, 2017, 09:59:15 AM
... I'd happily see Sláine stop at Horned God.

There is zero chance that some fraction of the hundreds of pages of lush full-colour Fabry/Power/Staples/Langley Slaine stories will be overlooked in this collection, while there is a reasonable chance that the superior B&W era of the strip will struggle for space. Personally I'll probably be cherry picking again - Stickleback, Shakara, Kingdom and The War Machine.. Yes please!  Hopes of a complete Red Seas or Sinister Dexter are not even to be entertained, sadly.

However, while I really don't need another even-smaller copy of Horned God, those lavish freebies might be enough to lure me into an initial sub. The Rosette of Speyside in particular appeals.

But sort out the spine art please chaps.

rogue69

that robot is Steelhorn who got turned into the mess & got remade back by the plant mars

Molch-R

Many thanks to those of you who've dropped me a line about securing copies. Once I have word from Hachette on stock levels we'll work out what we can do.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Molch-R on 01 March, 2017, 02:14:27 PM
Many thanks to those of you who've dropped me a line about securing copies. Once I have word from Hachette on stock levels we'll work out what we can do.

Good man. Thanks  :)

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Dash Decent on 01 March, 2017, 02:16:06 AM
Quote from: rogue69 on 28 February, 2017, 11:32:08 AM
only thing I'm not keen on with the free gifts is the hipflask.

Obviously their research shows there's a massive secret drinker demographic in the 2000AD fan base.

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 March, 2017, 02:19:47 AM

The 40th blew any secret.

:D

JamesC

I've subscribed and filled in the survey.
I think it looks really good and the choices for the first 4 titles are excellent.
It's always a bit of a gamble signing up for something like this. I know I'll be paying for stuff I don't like but the hope is that the good stuff will outweigh the bad - such is life for a 2000ad fan - it's always been that way. There's so much great stuff to collect that this seems like about as safe a bet possible.

JaHawkDroid

Quote from: Molch-R on 01 March, 2017, 02:14:27 PM

Marvellous. Thank you, kind PR Droid.

Bolt-01

Quote from: JaHawkDroid on 01 March, 2017, 03:39:50 PM
Marvellous. Thank you, kind PR Droid.

There's a 'kind' PR droid? Has anyone warned Molch-R?

Richard

Don't worry, it's only a matter of hours before Molch-R short-circuits him and sells him for scrap.

moly

That Chris Weston art would looking great for this collection

The Monarch

i hope if they do eurocrash for this collection they include ALL of it unlike the actual trade and rebellion wondered why no one bought anymore sindex trades....seriously

abelardsnazz

In anticipation of this becoming a full and proper thing, what are the essential and wished-for stories that should be included? A starter for ten:

Essentials:
Dredd: Judge Whitey, Robot Wars, UnAmerican Graffiti, Pirates of the Black Atlantic, Dark Justice, Enceladus.
Strontium Dog: Portrait of a Mutant, Outlaw, Max Bubba, Rage.
Rogue Trooper: a selection of early stories showcasing the art of Gibbons, Ewins, Wilson, Kennedy and Ortiz. Cinnabar, The War Machine.
All of Nemesis.
Slaine: The Bride of Crom, Sky Chariots.
All of Zenith.
Indigo Prime: Killing Time
Cradlegrave

Wished for:
All of Bix Barton.