Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Good we can have another go at Lord Mountjoy. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

JOE SOAP

TordelBack

Why is it that Kylo's [spoiler]petulant tantrums and wannabe baddie-cosplay are scary as bejayzus, while Anakin's were cringeworthy?  I'd run a spacemile from that patricidal freak, while I'd be more inclined to give Ani a hug and tell him things will get better if he stops taking himself so seriously.

I'm seeing a lot of nerdrage about untrained Rey beating Kylo, much of which is probably COS SHE'S JUST A GIRL, but more of which comes from not paying attention - Kylo has just been shot in the side by Chewiekov's bowcaster (which the film goes to great lengths to demonstrate is phenomenally powerful), and is bleeding heavily, plus he's taken a chance blow from Finn, and if you want to get fancy, he's just murdered his Dad. That he is on his feet at all is remarkable - look at Anakin and ObiWan in AotC, incapacitated by far less. Add to that Rey is clearly in full-on instrument-of-the-Force mode, and I think he does quite well.  Kudos also to Abrams for setting up a duel in such a way that it can be any kind of contest.[/spoiler]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tordelback on 21 December, 2015, 02:20:10 PM
Why is it that Kylo's [spoiler]petulant tantrums and wannabe baddie-cosplay are scary as bejayzus, while Anakin's were cringeworthy?  I'd run a spacemile from that patricidal freak, while I'd be more inclined to give Ani a hug and tell him things will get better if he stops taking himself so seriously.

Flat acting not helped by flat dialogue and staging - and he's never funny like when Kylo strops or self-flagellates after the fact. For anyone all ready familiar with how Anakin turns out, he's also inconsistent with the character of Vader who's calm, dominant and controlling, which is why Kylo works so well in contrast.

Quote from: Tordelback on 21 December, 2015, 02:20:10 PMI'm seeing a lot of nerdrage about [spoiler]untrained Rey beating Kylo, much of which is probably COS SHE'S JUST A GIRL, but more of which comes from not paying attention - Kylo has just been shot in the side by Chewiekov's bowcaster (which the film goes to great lengths to demonstrate is phenomenally powerful), and is bleeding heavily, plus he's taken a chance blow from Finn, and if you want to get fancy, he's just murdered his Dad.[/spoiler]

Whatever about the criticisms of Rey being too good at 'everything', I don't see much problem with the circumstances of [spoiler]her fight with Kylo - who's also not as great as he pretends to be. She's also shown beating 2 assailants with a staff at the start of the film.[/spoiler]

Ghost MacRoth

[spoiler]She's good with machines, ace pilot without any training, Vader's Sabre calls to her, get's the force skills in a heartbeat without ANY training......considering all the other similarities with previous episodes....I'd say it's a fair bet she's Luke's lass.[/spoiler]
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

von Boom

Quote from: Ghost MacRoth on 21 December, 2015, 02:43:12 PM
[spoiler]She's good with machines, ace pilot without any training, Vader's Sabre calls to her, get's the force skills in a heartbeat without ANY training......considering all the other similarities with previous episodes....I'd say it's a fair bet she's Luke's lass.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I have no problem with Rey being Luke's daughter. It makes sense. In fact, given the events of Star Wars and Empire strikes back, I'm a little surprised that Abrams didn't have Ken and Rey kiss instead of fight, them being cousins and all. It's only a little less unsavoury that the kissing between Luke and Leia.[/spoiler]

ThryllSeekyr

I better see this tomorrow, before I read too many other spoilers.

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Goaty

Keef Monkey

Seeing as the movie has me wanting to devour as much Star Wars as I can, is anyone keeping up with the 'new' expanded universe? Is it just the Marvel comics or are there novels and whatnot too? I know Disney basically nuked everything as non-canon a while back and started fresh with it, curious what there is out there to get.

TordelBack

Amusing stories going around of company Xmas parties that had to be segregated into 'seen' and 'not seen yet' tables. Was in a comic shop at lunch when the guy behind the counter broke off from a conversation with a customer and called: 'Has everyone here seen Force Awakens?', receiving universal assent before continuing his chat...

Was reading the Visual Guide today, and it explains that the location of the Senate [spoiler]of the reformed and demilitarised Republic now rotates among its member planets as a way of placating former Separatist worlds and addressing concerns about centralizing authority.  Hence Hosnian Prime and not Coruscant was destroyed. And while it may not have true mo ie-level canonical status, it is bloody clever stuff.[/spoiler]

The Visual Guide also confirms the scale of cuts made in post-production... I have to admire Abrams & Co for making such efforts to keep their movie lean.  There's a hell of a lot of good-looking stuff on a cutting room floor somewhere. Wampas v. Snowtroopers this ain't.

Tiplodocus

I wonder if that means an Extended Edition in the pipeline.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 December, 2015, 04:33:52 PM
I wonder if that means an Extended Edition in the pipeline.

Hope that's not a euphemism...
DDT did a job on me

Minkyboy

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000