Main Menu

Fiends Of The Eastern Front

Started by Emp, 26 June, 2010, 10:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emp

Another one from youtube - Fiends Of The Eastern Front

JOE SOAP

It's pretty good but there's a distinct lack of character in it and a serious lack of "Captain Costanza".

johnnystress

Hooray for readily available technology that allows this sort of thing to happen

Colin YNWA

mygrimmbrother

Yeah, much better than I thought it'd be! Nice one.

noodles

That was awesome -they even had a halftrack too!

Has anyone seen 'The Keep' where a load of Boxheads in a Romanian castle get slotted by some Vlad Tepes -esque ghoul?

Fiends (or 'Friends of the Eastern Front' as my better half says) would make such a great movie. I don't think we'll ever get tired of Nazis or vampires at the cinema -why not do the decent thing and combine them (of course it would be serious socio-historic metaphor as well...)

SmallBlueThing

That's really good. Enterprising film producers please note: I would like to see this.

SBT

LARF

I've always thought Fiends would make a greet movie, and it's one of my fave stories ever.

If Dredd makes money, let's hope they invest in other movie material like Marvel have done.

DrJomster

Quote from: noodles on 20 November, 2010, 09:06:47 PM
That was awesome -they even had a halftrack too!

Has anyone seen 'The Keep' where a load of Boxheads in a Romanian castle get slotted by some Vlad Tepes -esque ghoul?

Fiends (or 'Friends of the Eastern Front' as my better half says) would make such a great movie. I don't think we'll ever get tired of Nazis or vampires at the cinema -why not do the decent thing and combine them (of course it would be serious socio-historic metaphor as well...)

I remember The Keep! I think I quite liked it at the time, although it was a long time ago! Might youtube it...

FotEF is so on my "must buy" list.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

JOE SOAP

The Keep is Michael Mann's second feature film. He hates it, it looks and sounds amazing but it's a mess. It also ends with Tangerine Dreams version of "Walking in the Air" which gives you an indication of the amount of cocaine going around the Welsh film set at the time.

maryanddavid

Thats great, a TV series may work, wonder would the IMF would  go for funding if it was done in Irish! Reminds me to read the rest of the novels, the first one from what I remember was pretty enjoyable.

David

noodles

Quote from: Garageman on 20 November, 2010, 11:05:07 PM
The Keep is Michael Mann's second feature film. He hates it, it looks and sounds amazing but it's a mess. It also ends with Tangerine Dreams version of "Walking in the Air" which gives you an indication of the amount of cocaine going around the Welsh film set at the time.

One can only imagine!

WTF was all the Tangerine Dream stuff about? I mean, for Streethawk -yeah, but for Nazis vs. ghouls -a slightly leftfield choice. I might actually have to go and rent it again.

As usual though, the book (F. Paul Wilson) is better than the film.

I guess the most obvious progression in the Fiends series is Garth Ennis writing 'The Rifle Brigade versus Constanza'.

Actually, thinking about it, I bet 'Fiends of Fallujah' would work. Hhhmmm...where's my typewriter...?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: noodles on 20 November, 2010, 11:43:06 PM

One can only imagine!

WTF was all the Tangerine Dream stuff about? I mean, for Streethawk -yeah, but for Nazis vs. ghouls -a slightly leftfield choice. I might actually have to go and rent it again.

It works for some parts of the film, there are no fast pulsing themes like Streethawk, they're more atmospheric. TG also did the score for Mann's first film "Thief".

vzzbux

Quote from: noodles on 20 November, 2010, 09:06:47 PM

Read the book Years ago and enjoyed it loads. Never watched the film though. I bet it would be very dated by now.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.