Main Menu

Comic Book Film Adaptations

Started by Jim_Campbell, 04 November, 2006, 12:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

I've just finished watching 'Batman Begins' on DVD, and my (gin-addled) brain has turned to the subject of quality comic book adaptations, especially with all the talk of the Dredd movie on here at the moment.

So ... I've been trying to think of movie versions of superhero comics that I actually thought were OK ...

For me, probably the daddy of them all is Superman II - it's got proper supervillains in it.

I'll admit to not being a fan of Superman, per se, but the film (particularly considering its age) climaxes with real comic-book stuff. It's got people being punched right through sky-scrapers, bits being ripped off buildings and chucked at each other ... it actually has that superhero vibe to it.

After that, frankly, there was a really big gap. I can't think of an 'event' superhero movie after that until Burton's Batman [1]. I think we should move swiftly on from the sequels.

I liked the first Blade film, but I have to admit to no knowledge of the comics, and so can't compare to the source material.

Raimi's Spider-Man films are, to me, an odd thing. Intellectually, I can see how they might work for fans of the character, but I've never liked Spider-Man, so they leave me cold.

The X-Men movies (although I've yet to see 'Last Stand) seem to work on every level except having a decent plot.

Hellboy rocks, though.

I actually quite liked Daredevil, but I can't work out how someone could take the concept of 'sexy ninja bitch' and produce a movie as dull as Elektra.

I can't stand the Fantastic Four, so someone will have to pay me to sit through it. Sorry.

Which brings me back to Batman Begins. I can see why people didn't like it, but I think it's as good an adaptation of a comic book character as we're likely to see any time soon.

Now, I'll have to admit that if you weren't a comic book (or Batman) fan around the Miller golden period of Dark Knight/Year One, then the homages won't resonate for you in the same way ...

But, I think it's probably the best damn superhero adaptation to date.

Tangent: the best damn superhero movie, period, is The Incredibles, in my book, but that's a different argument.

Cheers!

Jim

[1] Which, as I've said before, I would have absolutely no problem with, had they not gone for the lazy screen-writer's cliche of having Jack Napier be the killer of Bruce Wayne's parents. With that one plot 'twist' they demonstrated their total lack of understanding of what makes Bruce Wayne Batman.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Misanthrope

I thought Rocketeer was a quality adaptation. Apart from a few changes (changing the name of Cliffs girlfriend) it does look and feel like the comic book.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

JOE SOAP

Unbreakable is the best superhero film followed by Spiderman 2. Batman Begins is third, marred by a crap monorail ending.

Jim_Campbell

"I thought Rocketeer was a quality adaptation"

Now ... I forgot about The Rocketeer. That is a fine adaptation. Kudos to you for bringing  that to the table!

On the tangentially related subject -- I have to say that 'Sky Captain and the blahblah-diddly-didly-blah-blah'  felt more like a comic book than most supposedly comic-book related movies.

If you've not seen it, then please do ...

Cheers

Jim

ThryllSeekyr

I don't like any  of the Batman movies as they ahve been messed around with too much.

Sof ar the original 'Superman' and the latest series of 'Spiderman' movies have ebn the best adaptions. You could throw 'Hellboy' in there as well.

I might also put 'Indiana Jones' forward as great comic to movie adaption, even though he's not a classic comic book hero. Never really been recognised as one. But yes, I do have 'Indiana Jones comic myself. I think they made a few of them after the movie got popular.

I also have to say that I don' like the recent onslought of movies like the New 'Superman Returns', 'Batman Begins', The X-men trilogy, 'Fantistic Four'. Though 'The Hulk' very nearly made it into my list of successful comic book movie adaptions, it still falls short of the mark.

Those latter movies just lack the right stuff.

I also like films like 'Rocketeer' and 'Sky Captio and the World of Tomorrow' mainly cause nothiong was really messsed around with.

ThryllSeekyr

I should also mention 'The Phantom' adaption. I didn;t quite like it.

'The Shadow' wasn't so bad.

Radbacker

Unbreakable best comic book movie(even though it was never a comic) and for my money both Spiderman and Xmen(even the third) really manage to capture that comic feeling(while being quite good adaptations too).
Hellboy just rocked(did I just say that?).

My favorite comic book movie would be The Crow, never read the comic but I love the movie, who knows it might be a shit adaptation.

This'll cause arguements but I also think that V was a damn good adaptation, things have been changed but I still got the same feeling watching it that i did reading the GN(which I only read about 2 months befor the movie came out)

Jim - Fantastic Four's not that bad a movie its just the whole concept of the FF is cheesy and kiddy.
Absolutly agree about Superman 2, its the only Comic movie with comic book calabure Baddies.
I would say the Fight between Neo and Agent Smith(best part of Matrix whatever it was?) in the third Matrix is the best Super powered fight I've seen, why couldn't they've made Superman returns with something like that in it?  would've been a much better movie(IMO).
This is a Fav topic of mine as I cant get enough Comic book movie(I even have Catwoman, its not that bad is it?  Electra's way worse(I've never managed to stay awake for the whole thing it I pass out about 1/2 hour in ebery time).

CU Radbacker

ThryllSeekyr

I loved the Matrix triogy, though I thought the third movie could have been better thought out.

wrighty47

Best super-hero movie for me? The Incredibles! Captured everything that the super-hero genre should have had. A good fun plot, great characterizations, and kept the sense of awe and wonder that (for me) superheroes should have. Grim & Gritty only works so far within the genre imho. Batman doesn't suffer from it, but it's often used as an excuse for middle aged men to try and excuse the fact that they still like superheroes!

After that, probably the animated Batman movie "Mask of the Phantasm". Paul Dini and crew "GOT" Batman in a way none of the live action films ever have, even the much praised (tho imho somewhat over rated) Batman Begins.

Of the Japanese comics, Akira is wonderful (tho only really adapts the first 3rd of the story), while Ghost In The Shell is that rare thing, a film better than the comic.

The Marvel adaptaions have been mixed for me. I liked the first 2 X-Men, tho thought the 3rd a bit of a stinker. The Spidey movies are excellent, tho no brainer's. Blade started superbly but has gotten worse with each movie. FF was...erm... not bad, nothing more. I did like Hulk, which I thought was a brave attempt at doing something different, tho not everything worked within the film. DD and Elektra had their moments but ultimately failed (especially the latter), tho are much better than the Captain America movie from a few years ago.

Alan!

Dark Jimbo

No love for Batman Returns? I think it outclasses its predessecsor in every way.
@jamesfeistdraws

Wils

Steering this *far* away from spandex(#), Vault of Horror is one of my favourite comic adaptations.

(#) Terry-Thomas in women's pants aside...

Jim_Campbell

"My favorite comic book movie would be The Crow, never read the comic but I love the movie, who knows it might be a shit adaptation. "

Abso-fuckin'-lutely. I'd forgotten that The Crow was a comic adaptation, probably because I've not read the original either.

Thinking about it, I need to watch that film again.

"This'll cause arguements but I also think that V was a damn good adaptation"

I'm on record as a defender of V, although more as brave effort, than actually as a good adaptation of the comic.

Cheers!

Jim

Wils

The Crow adaptation is *miles* better than the actual comic, which is fucking mince.

Jim_Campbell

"The Crow adaptation is *miles* better than the actual comic, which is fucking mince."

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Wils!

Actually, I have some vague recollection of flicking through an issue of the comic many years ago and putting it back on the shelf because it looked like it had been drawn by a thirteen-year-old.

Cheers!

Jim

Wils

it looked like it had been drawn by a thirteen-year-old.

Yep. I'll agree with that, but I'll add "written by" as well. There are also some *very* scary drawings of Draven in there where it's obvious he's used something like Botting Monthly Magazine for figure reference. [shudder]