Main Menu

Comic Book Film Adaptations

Started by Jim_Campbell, 04 November, 2006, 12:14:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrighty47

"My favourite superhero movie is still Superman I."

Might be worth you picking up recent issues of Action Comics then PVS, as they're being (co)written by Richard Donner!

Alan!

JOE SOAP

>Might be worth you picking up recent issues of Action Comics then PVS, as they're being (co)written by Richard Donner!

...but didn't Mario Puzo write the Superman film?

wrighty47

Did I say he didn't? Just pointing out that (one of) the main creative force(s) behind PVS's fave movie is again doing work on the same character (abeit in a different medium) and that it might be worth him giving it a look.

Alan!

JOE SOAP

Like a spinning back the world time travel plot device.

Misanthrope

"Wasn't there single page Rocketeer strips on the back of 'tooth before the movie came out?"

No. That was a illustrated advert for a computer game called Rocket Ranger or something. A complete rip off of The Rocketeer.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

JOE SOAP

I enjoyed it more than I did the rocketeer.

JOE SOAP

I enjoyed it more than I did the rocketeer.

paulvonscott

Or a rip off of the Rocketman thing.  I had an action man who was a rocketter type character as a kid.  Seemed a bit cool, and a bit lame at the same time.  Red with a silver helmet I think.*

JOE SOAP

They're all a rip-off of King of the Rocketmen so it's not the point really.

Jim_Campbell

Veering off the Rocketeer subject (although I have this vague recollection that Dave Stevens did a regular-style book for Comico prior to any graphic novel ... Wikipedia appears to back me up on this).

Just watched X-Men 3 ... a fairly unfaithful adaptation, but easily my favourite of the three, I think. It may be that I actually went to the cinema for the first two, and thus my expectations were higher, but I thought that this one had easily the most coherent plot and was really rather a lot of fun.

BTW ... it may just be my (admittedly atrocious) memory, but didn't someone mention a post-credits scene? If there was one, it was missing from the NTL on-demand version.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Quirkafleeg

Slight difference of opinion as I watched it last night and thought it was a bag of shite

>but didn't someone mention a post-credits scene?

yeah there is...

MASSIVE SPOILER, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

It's implied that Xavier has survived by transfering his consciousness into the brain-dead man he was talking about in the ethics lecture earlier

paulvonscott

I never really thought much of X-Men 1 so didn't watch more.  Are they any good (i.e.) better?

Thought Hugh Jackman was good, had him down for a possible Dredd based on that.

I did like the scene with Magneto at the concentration camp, it was quite powerful, although that may have because it was somewhat exploitative.

"Mine Fuhrer, I hav ze gut news, unt ze bad news."

"Give me ze gut news..."

"We haf discovered ze ubermench!"

"And ze bad news?"

"He is Jewish."

I hadn't known until Alan Moore said in his Chain Reaction interview that the Nazi's referred to Superman as Superjew.  And obviously, apart from being a very naughty boy, the Messiah is god in the form of man sent to save us, so it could be seen as a Jewish concept.

All very interesting (I think) anyway.

Quirkafleeg

>Are they any good (i.e.) better?

I thought the first one was a bit lame but I really rather enjoyed X-Men 2. But that may be because I saw it at the Odeon, Leicester Square and their sound system pummelled me into submission.

Jim_Campbell

"I never really thought much of X-Men 1 so didn't watch more. Are they any good (i.e.) better?"

PVS ... X1 never recovers from the fact that the plot makes no fucking sense whatsoever. It garners points for getting a few of the characters, particularly Wolverine, absolutely spot on.

X2 manages a marginally more coherent plot, and features a bunch of cameos for the benefit of die-hard X-fans. It does have the benefit of seeing Wolverine cut loose in the mansion invasion sequence .... it's not great, but it's not bad either.

I'd certainly resommend seeing X2 before seeing X3, which I thought was worth seeing ... it's good fun. As a fan of pretty much the whole of Claremont's run on the X-Men, I missed Nightcrawler (although I wasn't especially fond of Alan Cumming's version of the character in X2) in this movie, but liked seeing Kitty Pryde and Colossus in X3.

So ... yeah, on balance, I'd say that the series is worth a go. X2 is basically the Wolverine show, and Jackman is the stand-out performance in all three films, but X3 is damn good fun.

Cheers!

Jim

Jim_Campbell

"MASSIVE SPOILER"

Thanls for that, Mr Fleeg ... I will be having words with NTL about this ...

Cheers!

Jim