Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

LAST BREATH on Netflix. This documentary makes the concept of saturation diving scary enough and full of "Nope. Not doing that no matter how much they pay me". And then things start to go wrong...

You'll be watching with bated breath for the resolution.
And one of the divers involved comes off as a very cold person but my goodness, you'd want him beside you in the trenches.

On another, worse note, it led me down a rabbit hole of other diving/decompression accidents on Wikipedia some of which is the stuff of nightmares no matter how they define "instantaneous".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 June, 2019, 10:26:55 AM
On another, worse note, it led me down a rabbit hole of other diving/decompression accidents on Wikipedia some of which is the stuff of nightmares no matter how they define "instantaneous".

Yeah I haven't seen Last Breath yet but a while back I did look up some stories about decompression accidents (I think I'd seen one in a horror film and was morbidly curious if it would actually happen like that) and it was immediately pretty disturbing so I didn't look too deeply into it. Last Breath sounds great though, will need to check it out.

Went to see the new Child's Play, hated the idea of rebooting it and the trailer made it look like a dud so I was going to give it a miss but a couple of good reviews convinced me to give it a shot. Glad I did, really enjoyed it. It's surprisingly funny and has a lot of heart (it's weirdly touching in places), and has the kind of splattery sense of gory fun that you don't tend to find in a lot of more mainstream Hollywood horrors (at one point in the movie there's some heavy referencing of Texas Chainsaw 2 and while it's not quite as over the top as that it's definitely been an inspiration).

I didn't like the idea of the supernatural/serial killer element being removed but the angle they've taken actually works great and as much as I really didn't want to hear someone other than Brad Dourif playing Chucky, Mark Hamill plays it so differently that it stands on its own as a very different thing performance-wise I think. Really glad I gave it a go, a pleasant surprise for someone who usually avoids horror remakes like the plague.

Oh, also watched The Maze Runner which was fun enough YA adventure fare, and one that didn't feel particularly YA for the most part. Just a bit grimmer and more visceral than I would have expected I guess, other than the young cast there's not all that much separating it from the kind of sci-fi tinged horror movies I'd hunt out on VHS as a youngster. Didn't love it or anything, but again was pleasantly surprised.

Hawkmumbler

With Fopp making it's glorious return to Manchester's high street I indulged in the Arrow Video sale, came away with some right gems.

Future Shock: The Story of 2000AD requires no introduction, happy to upgrade from the DVD to an extras laden pack and an absolutely wonderful package. The documentary is as great as ever, and the Mills finale still elicits more laughter than is probably healthy. FUCK OFF.

Got back into my western binge with Texas, Adios! starring the genres most under rated actor, the brilliant Franco Nero. It's a fine yarn, no Django (made the same year) but still an excellent example of the early spaghetti western cycle.

Do you want a bizarre alien invasion movie that feels like it belongs in the prog? Watch The Visitor. Words fail me. I'm not sure i'd call it good, but it's got the same aura to it as Zardoz. Off the cuff, cheap, utterly barmy science fiction at it's most esoteric.

Bad City Blue

If you have Netflix then make sure you watch I Am Mother - brilliant, intelligent sci fi
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Jim_Campbell

Saw Men In Black International a couple of weeks ago. It's not terrible, but it's not great, either... it's mildly amusing throughout, but essentially just coasts through a pretty perfunctory script on the ample charisma of its leads, with a fairly beefy supporting cast (Liam Neeson, Rafe Spall, Emma Thompson...).

Would probably pass an evening at home agreeably enough as an undemanding watch with a couple of drinks, but not really worth making the effort to see in the cinema, which is a real shame when you think what Hemsworth and (Tessa) Thompson could have done with stronger material.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

abelardsnazz

Toy Story 4. Mostly enjoyed, possibly 10-20 minutes too long, but infused with much humour, (mild) horror and pathos to make it worth a watch. Think the toy box needs to be closed now though.

wedgeski

Tom Hanks has stated that this is the last one.

Hawkmumbler

I saw King of the Monsters again.

Yeah, I still like it a lot.

Bolt-01

Quote from: wedgeski on 25 June, 2019, 11:14:55 AM

Yeah, right. Considering how much effort Disney have gone to putting the Toy Story lands into the parks, I bet we'll see more eventually. That IP needs to be serviced.

wedgeski

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 25 June, 2019, 12:02:39 PM

Yeah, right. Considering how much effort Disney have gone to putting the Toy Story lands into the parks, I bet we'll see more eventually. That IP needs to be serviced.
[spoiler]What's Toy Story without Woody? I think we can safely assume, albeit not guarantee, it will be the last one with this collective.[/spoiler]
Spoiler added just in case...

Bolt-01

Think you may well be right, but I wouldn't write them off. Plenty of room for shorts in that universe...

wedgeski

Quote from: wedgeski on 25 June, 2019, 12:10:08 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 25 June, 2019, 12:02:39 PM

[spoiler]What's Toy Story without Woody? I think we can safely assume, albeit not guarantee, it will be the last one with this collective.[/spoiler]
Spoiler added just in case...
[spoiler]I haven't even seen it! I meant only that I've seen Tom Hanks say it's the last one. Now I think I kow a bit more...[/spoiler]

Tjm86

Didn't George Lucas say that after a New Hope?

Tiplodocus

John Wick 3: Parabellum

Very much enjoyed this. Some of the action lands better than other bits; knives, horses, armoured seat and mano e mano all yes; motorcycles = no; Halle and the dogs, middling.

Similarly thecwuirky characters don't always land; the Doctor is a yes, the Bowry King and Mark Dacascos channelling NoHo Hank should be a win but isn't.

I liked the detour to ballet school as a way of explaining his supernatural ability to absorb damage.

But I can't help but think they should have stopped at three.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

dweezil2

X-Men: Dark Pheonix.

Not as bad as I was lead to believe from the overriding negative, and at times misogynistically tainted, responses from various review sites and social media outlets.

There's some interesting ideas about the abuse of power and issues surrounding mental health and female empowerment that are sadly never truly developed and James McAvoy, in particular, puts in some good work, but the final act is a mess, and considering the reports of reshoots that's no real surprise, with one prolonged action sequence feeling particularly disjointed and unintelligible.

The film was still arguably on a par with the frankly poor blockbuster output this summer so far.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo