Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared Katooie

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 March, 2011, 04:28:14 PM
Certainly understand.  I was in a similar situation and thought I'd be safe watching gritty death row drama MONSTERS BALL.  It cost me six stitches.

Did you have a monster's ball afterwards?

Tiplodocus

I don't understand why so few people can manage to do shakycam correctly?

It's been around for donkeys and there are fantastic mainstream examples of how much you can get away with while still allowing the viewer to figure out what is going on. (I thought "Saving Private Ryan" was a great use).

Is BATTLE: LA suitable for a birthday party of 11 year old boys? Or will they end up too confused?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

There's only one f-bomb that I can recall and not much in the way of gore beyond seeing alien innards.

Shakycam at this point isn't being used for contextual effect, it's being used because everyone else is using it, a bit like slo-motion panning around something in the foreground or jumping towards the camera while something blows up in the background.  For a good few minutes at the start of BLA it looks suspiciously like a Found Footage movie is gearing up, but it's just the overuse of shakycam to film scenes like some guys drinking beer, someone running along a beach, and in possibly the worst moment, two middle-aged men sitting at a desk talking in a laid-back fashion.

Mudcrab

Quote from: Mangamax on 15 March, 2011, 05:17:57 PM
Saw "Battle Los Angeles" yesterday. It was okay in a turn-your-brain-off way and the effects were good.
But could've done without all the gungho BS, the constant jerky camera motion and, yet again, Michelle Rodriguez alternating between blankface and scowlface.

More Michelle? That's me sold! Which brings me to the last films I watched...

Nightmare on Elm Street remake. Kind of what you'd expect. Rorschach not being as good as Rorschach or indeed, Robert Englund. Seemed like a mix of the first 2 originals. Brainless fun I guess, probably better than...

Saw, the FINAL chapter, thankfully. More of the same where it's got to the point where that you just don't care about the clever(?) twists. So thankfully "that's the end of that chapter". Neither as good as...

Machete. Bloody fantastic! Completely over the top Rodriguez brilliance! Also, I found that Michelle Rodriguez (any relation?) was actually hotter than Jessica Alba! Have I gone insane???  :o Maybe it's a crossover thing, Michelle looks like a boy in that boxing film but gets sexier as she gets older, whereas Jessica was incredibly hot in Dark Angel and she's losing the looks a bit as she gets older? Surely not. More research definitely required  :D
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

klute

Well i watched best of the best  and invasion usa yesterday, both classics in the cheese department. Not as good as i remembered them being first time around.

But still worth a watch.
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

Kerrin

The Adjustment Bureau, puts the Guff in MacGuffin.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Currently watching Hard Target on ITV4.

Sometimes Jean Claude Van Damme kicks people, and then he shoots them.

Sometimes Jean Claude Van Damme shoots people, and then he kicks them.

Since it's a John Woo movie, doves/pigeons flutter all about the place occasionally. And people get out of cars in slow motion.

Incredible stuff
You may quote me on that.

Buddy

Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire.. tonight with my 13 year old son... he loved it.... I thought it was very entertaining.

He's been getting into Potter a lot lately and I have to say, not being a fan, the films are rather good.... four more to go!

TordelBack

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 17 March, 2011, 01:35:20 AM
Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire..

Mmmmm Clemence Poesy...

(22 at time of filming, honest)

radiator

I've always wondered whether the later films (4 onwards) would make any kind of sense to someone who hadn't read the books.

Tiplodocus

Mostly - Harry and gang have something to do and some baddies get in the way.

But there are an awful lot of things that I am taking for granted will be explained later (and if they aren't, they are ridiculous coincidence or holes in plot).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ThryllSeekyr

Soloman Kane

It could have been better.

locustsofdeath!

Cannibal Holocaust, while drinking Grim Reaper ale.

I, Cosh

Just watched Alphaville. Either I wasn't in the right frame of mind or it was mostly a lot of hoary old toss. What is this thing called love and so forth. Well made toss, to be fair, with a couple of brilliantly staged and lit scenes to prove the shonky looking bits are deliberately so.

Also, being French and from the sixties, the leading lady is absurdly gorgeous.
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 16 March, 2011, 12:30:06 PM
Is BATTLE: LA suitable for a birthday party of 11 year old boys? Or will they end up too confused?
If they can make sense of Dragon Wars then I don't think they'll have a problem.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Me and my mate had our regular movie day yesterday (I pick something for him, he picks something for me and we pick a 3rd movie that we both want to watch). We watched...

Clerks - This was my pick because he hadn't seen it. I hadn't watched it either in years, and I have to say I found it even funnier than I remember. When I was shopping for it I was pretty gobsmacked that the blu-ray is £29 in HMV. £29 for a film which blu-ray will add nothing to. Still, classic.

Pontypool - His pick. I really liked it, it's a horror movie of the 'something awful and zombie-esque happens in a small town' variety, but with the neat twist that the whole film takes place in a tiny radio station so the characters (and viewers) only know what you learn from call-ins and reports. It's not going for all out horror, it's a bit quirky and funny in places, but the set-up made for the odd moment that I found amazingly creepy. The idea behind what's going on reveals itself slowly and could either be seen as barmy and stoopid or really unique and clever. I liked it a lot.

Hellraiser - The joint pick, and because we'd both seen it it was ok to banter through it. Most of the banter related to which effects still hold up and which look dated (pretty much the only really ropey ones are the animation moments), where the hell the thing is supposed to be set (it seems obvious the american daughter is over visiting her dad who has married an English woman and moved to Britain, so why is everyone in Britain dubbed by American actors?!), and how genuinely stunning Ashley Laurence is. Gorgeous. It's a total classic movie too, still holds up brilliantly, and I'd be keener on them doing a bit of a George Lucas on the ropier effects than doing a remake, which I can't imagine being any cop.