Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Quote from: Buddy on 30 September, 2011, 01:28:17 PM
X Men Origins Wolverine last night followed by X Men First Class.

Enjoyed Wolverine but was underwhelmed by First Class.

You obviously live in backwards land.

Actually, I haven't seen Wolverine but I've heard it's crap from my Wolverine loving mate (and pretty much everybody else who's seen it).

I thought First Class was first class though, Ha Ha!... sorry. It's definitely in my top 5 super hero films along with The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man and Thor.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Albion

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 27 September, 2011, 04:51:18 PM
Attack the Block - turned it off after about 20 minutes.

I watched it a couple of nights ago and I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

Also recently watched Brighton Rock. It was OK but not as good as I hoped it would be. Some good performances but it seemed to plod along a bit at times.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Buddy

Quote from: Lee Bates on 30 September, 2011, 01:48:05 PM

Actually, I haven't seen Wolverine but I've heard it's crap from my Wolverine loving mate (and pretty much everybody else who's seen it).

I thought First Class was first class though, Ha Ha!... sorry. It's definitely in my top 5 super hero films along with The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man and Thor.

Yeah, I'd heard Wolverine was crap too... imagine my surprise!
I liked First Class but just thought it was a bit 'is that it?'.

Spider-Man 2, Iron Man great... Thor good.... Dark Knight was piss poor though.

SpetsnaZ99

Watched Snowtown this afternoon, brilliant film, but i dont feel too good after
You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Buddy on 30 September, 2011, 03:32:49 PM
Quote from: Lee Bates on 30 September, 2011, 01:48:05 PM

Film Heathen!!!!!!!!!

SmallBlueThing

I also expected Wolverine to be a crock of shite, and was pleased when it turned out to be a perfectly serviceable superhero movie, no better or worse than the other XMen films. Haven't seen First Class- and to be honest, I'm not sure I ever will. I think having seen essentially the same film four times already (X1-3+Wolvie), I'm kind of done with them. This is probably the reason I've not bothered to watch iron Man 2 or Hellboy 2 either- I've "seen" Iron Man and Hellboy, and don't need to see them again in further movies, however much I might have enjoyed the first ones.

And yes, Dark Knight was atrocious- deeply boring, pretentious, wanky arsewater. But to be fair, all the Batman films are a bit like that- and I find batman such a boring character in general that I don't think any film version is ever going to do it for me.

SBT

Spaceghost

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 30 September, 2011, 08:51:12 PM

I also expected Wolverine to be a crock of shite, and was pleased when it turned out to be a perfectly serviceable superhero movie, no better or worse than the other XMen films. Haven't seen First Class- and to be honest, I'm not sure I ever will. I think having seen essentially the same film four times already (X1-3+Wolvie), I'm kind of done with them. This is probably the reason I've not bothered to watch iron Man 2 or Hellboy 2 either- I've "seen" Iron Man and Hellboy, and don't need to see them again in further movies, however much I might have enjoyed the first ones.

And yes, Dark Knight was atrocious- deeply boring, pretentious, wanky arsewater. But to be fair, all the Batman films are a bit like that- and I find batman such a boring character in general that I don't think any film version is ever going to do it for me.

SBT

I should watch Wolverine really. I intended to watch it last weekend but forgot.

I was under the exact same impression about First Class. My brother urged me to watch it as he'd seen it at the cinema but I was less than enthusiastic. How wrong I was! It's just so nicely done, the 60's setting is perfectly realised, all the actors are fantastic, the story, effects and everything else is just perfect!

Honestly SBT, I was of exactly the same opinion as you but I ended up watching the entire film with a huge grin on my face (and there's a hilarious cameo by Hugh Jackman as Wolverine too). It was miles better than all the other X-Men films and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Also, if you liked Iron Man and Hellboy, you should watch the sequels. Both are superior in almost every way.

I won't get into the Dark Knight thing because I hated it when I first saw it at the cinema. A home viewing made me appreciate it and now I love it.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Albion

Quote from: Lee Bates on 30 September, 2011, 09:26:18 PM
Also, if you liked Iron Man and Hellboy, you should watch the sequels. Both are superior in almost every way.

I liked Hellboy 2 but I thought Iron Man 2 was nowhere near as good as the first one.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Professor Bear

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 30 September, 2011, 08:51:12 PMI also expected Wolverine to be a crock of shite, and was pleased when it turned out to be a perfectly serviceable superhero movie,

My response to this was initially WHY DO YOU SAY THESE THINGS? But then you went and qualified it with

Quoteno better or worse than the other XMen films.

and all was a lot clearer.

As with SBT's attitude to Batman, so too do I view the X-Men films with puzzlement, seeing them as these big loud messy splodges of perfectly competent but ultimately banal film-making.  X-Men 1 was little more than a trailer for X-Men 2, X-Men 2 was more of the same, X-Men 3 was like someone shouting "GAAAH!" in your face every three minutes and First Class was a good attempt to make a successful but boring series a little more eventful but fell foul of dodgy storytelling that assumed the viewer was always going to invest in one character's philosophy (Xavier) despite accidentally doing too good a job making the opposing viewpoint (Magneto's) seem like a rational response to what was happening to him and his mates.

That said, I didn't rate Wolverine much at all and thought if it had a tenth of the budget to work with a much better film would have been the result.  It's basically as good as the Daredevil/Hulk and Thor/Hulk tv movies from the late 1980s, which I liked, but can admit were not good.

Fast Five - fifth installment in the Fast and Furious series.  Less overtly dumb than its predecessors, but still pretty thick enough that some of it had me straight-up laughing at the screen in a good way.  Stuff like cops having a high speed chase with a bank vault, the "oh no you d' 'int!" moment where the Rock fucks up Diesel's car, "stay the fuck outta my way", and basically every action scene which will have you going "and they know that nobody will be killed by their doing this HOW?"  The only blot on the landscape of a very enjoyable action flick - they've pretty much dispensed with the street racing premise in this one - is the post-credits scene that [spoiler]threatens to have Michelle Rodriguez in the sequel[/spoiler].  Not cool.
Grey Lady Down - submarine rescue flick which is a bit slow but decent enough once you get past the irony of seeing David Carradine trying his best to stop people choking to death.

brendan1

"Stakeland"

Wow, that was aces!

Quite redolent of "The Passage" in many ways.

poor title though. I mean really? Stakeland??

john_s

"Snowtown" is well nihilistic and depressing, but nowhere near as depressing as Lars von Trier's new one, "Melancholia".  (The first half is a bit of a drag, but essential to set up the uber-depressing second half.  Even Jack Bauer can't save the day!)

I'm desperate to watch "Kill List" but it's had a very limited release.  His first film, though, "Down Terrace", is pretty bloody good.  It's a kinda naturalistic set-mostly-in-one-house gangster film, with moments of random violence that are genuinely thrilling/chilling.  For an ultra-low budget first film, it's fucking ace!

(Thanks to The Emperor for pointing it out to me!)

vzzbux

Started watching 'Tony, a London serial killer' the other night was too knackered to stay up. Will have to try to catch this one again.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

I, Cosh

Having had a bad experience with a scratched rental DVD 18 months ago, I finally saw the rebooted Star Trek this evening. I'm sure if I was a real Trekhead I could argue that it wasn't really Trek or somesuch but I'm not and I thought it was tremendous fun. One or two elements jarred (Scotty in particular) but it was a success as a big sci-fi action movie and easily the best Trek film since Undiscovered Country. Is there a new one due out soon?

Saw Attenberg at the pictures the other day. A fairly tiresome Greek film about, well, nothing much really. It focuses on a young woman with an unspecified (and curiously unremarked by anyone) disconnect from society who tries to view human interaction from the perspective of a detached observer like the eponymous tv naturalist. The lead is pretty good and there is quite a touching relationship between her and her father as he undergoes treatment for cancer but most of what surrounds that is a load of art/film school wank.
A lot of the same people were involved with a film called Dogtooth which I really liked. It had a similarly ridiculous premise - teenagers deliberately isolated from the outside world by their family and taught that cats were evil - but followed it through with a lot more rigour, style and absurd humour.
We never really die.

SquashedFly

Caught the second half of Book of Eli this morning.

Did nothing for me, seemed fairly boring and lifeless.

mygrimmbrother

'Drive' - just wow. A perfect movie, in every sense - direction, script, acting, casting, cinematography and soundtrack. Blown away.