Main Menu

It Shoulda Ended with...

Started by Link Prime, 13 August, 2019, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Wossat? Something you used to love sucks now, does it?
Well my entitled nerdy friend, welcome to the inaugural post in "It Shoulda Ended with..."

You don't have to explain your reasons. You don't even have to dislike the stuff that came afterward.
All you need to do is place your finger on the point that - if the story had ended there - the work would be much stronger, would hold up as timeless, undiluted, yadda yadda.

I'll kick us off with 10 at whimsical random:

Stat Wars - Episode VI
Bad Company - The Krool Heart
Nemesis the Warlock - Book IX
Daredevil - Born Again
Watchmen - Issue 12
Durham Red - The Empty Suns
The X-Files - Season 6
Slaine - The Horned God
Indiana Jones - The Last Crusade
The Dark Judges - Necropolis

Now; who's gonna be the first to mention Chaos Day?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Link Prime on 13 August, 2019, 04:12:35 PM
Nemesis the Warlock - Book IX

This is the only one of your choices I disagree with - the saga would just stop dead, halfway through Nemesis and Torgue chasing each other through Time! The end of Book X was perfect - returning to the story with Tubular Hells a few years ago was pointless though, and just diluted the original ending to no purpose.
@jamesfeistdraws

JOE SOAP

CHOPPER: Song of the Surfer (obvious)

Greg M.

Robo-Hunter - Day of the Droids
Ace Trucking Co. - The Croakside Trip (even though I love the final story in the '89 annual)
Devlin Waugh - Innocence and Experience
Alien - Aliens
Dr Who - The End of Time

Frank

Now; who's gonna be the first to mention Chaos Day?

Like Star Wars, I'm delighted for everyone who enjoys the More they're getting. But yeah.

Leigh suggested the other day that Dredd would be better if it moved to the model of Slaine, Kingdom and Brass Sun, only appearing in the comic when the original creator has an idea for a story then making way for other strips when that's done.

That seems ideal, but we know there's only one more Dredd story John Wagner really wants to write.

radiator

Stranger Things should have been a one and done miniseries.

Jurassic Park - the first one is a perfect movie, while all the sequels are pretty much worthless. Never saw Fallen Kingdom.

Community should have ended with season 3 (after that it has its moments but the severe patchiness of later seasons and the existence of season 4 makes it a very hard show to recommend unreservedly. The season 3 finale also acts as a pretty good, if abrupt, ending to the show as a whole)

In total agreement about Star Wars - it took me until The Last Jedi to realise that I haven't actually truly enjoyed any of these films since Return of the Jedi and I was only going to see them because of nostalgia and successful marketing.

The Simpsons season 8-10 (take your pick, though if I could have it my way, season 8's 'Homer's Enemy' would have been the finale to the TV show, with any further Simpson adventures being released as theatrical movies.

The Dark Knight Returns (comic series) should have ended with the first one.

Modern Family - first 2 seasons were marvelous, then it immediately dropped off a cliff.

Parks and Rec is one of the great modern sitcoms, but I could have done without that bizarro, tacked-on final season. The whole thing reeks of a last minute season order when they thought they'd been cancelled.

Friends - say what you want about the show, but there's an undeniable drop in the quality of the writing after season 5, and the characters become increasingly Flanderised from that point out. I have a great nostalgic fondness for the early seasons, whereas the latter half of them feel like a different show.

Sex & the City - again, I'm sure there are a lot of haters, but the TV show is solid - great, even. Dated, yes, but what isn't? It's the spin off films that suck - they are like a dumbed down cartoon parody version of what people think the TV show is. The second movie especially is absolutely excruciating.

Colin YNWA

Daredevil - Born Again

Now these things are fun and shouldn't be take too seriously AND experience has taught me that Link Prime is a fine soul and all previous evidence says one who has good taste in comics.... you ready...

... you ready for it....

sure.... here it comes ...

BUT!!!

By all the songs of importance and value have you lost your you mind man. Has your very soul been devoured by the dark creatures of the night.... what is this you say?!???!!!

If you end it there you get no Nocenti run, the finest run of them all UNLESS you think the Waid run is the greatest of them all that is also an acceptable answer. You also don't get the Bendis run, the Brubaker run which all have considerable merits. I refer the (previous thought to be) learned gentleman to the evidence.

https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=23298.0

Oh, oh breathe, breathe.... this may seem like an utter over reaction and a massive hissy fit comparible to those oh my 10 year old daughter when we take her mobile off her BUT ITS NOT ITS UTTERLY JUSTIFIED...

...it is...

...it really is...

Greg M.

I did think about making that same argument, Colin, but I thought you'd have more fun doing so.

Seems I was right!

The Legendary Shark

Planet of the Apes should have ended with Chuck on his knees, crying his eyes out in the shadow of Liberty. Everything else, whilst often enjoyable, is entirely superfluous.

I think some things are the perfect length; Babylon 5, Farscape and The Shield spring to mind. Then there's things that are too short but might be the perfect length as well. Who's to say that Season Two of Firefly wouldn't have been utter folly or that Season Three of Sapphire and Steel would not have left us wanting more?

Ahem. Anyway, Planet of the Apes, "we blew it up, us bastards, and the apes took over because they were ace and we were shit." Boom. We get it. Move on.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 13 August, 2019, 08:24:37 PM
Who's to say that Season Two of Firefly wouldn't have been utter folly

We got the truncated version in Serenity.

The Legendary Shark

We did. But we didn't get a crap Season 2 inbetween or instead of, is what I'm saying. The film capped it off well, for me, a second or third season might have been a bit samey. Of course, they might have been aresome - but the very possibility of mediocre or rubbishy seasons of Firefly means I'm erring on the side of caution.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 13 August, 2019, 06:45:48 PM
I did think about making that same argument, Colin, but I thought you'd have more fun doing so.

Seems I was right!

Well if ya going to do it, go BIG I say!

Planet of the Apes should have ended with Chuck on his knees, crying his eyes out in the shadow of Liberty. Everything else, whilst often enjoyable, is entirely superfluous.

And you, you're just baiting me now ain't ya!

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 13 August, 2019, 08:51:34 PM

And you, you're just baiting me now ain't ya!

Pud 'em up, pud 'em uuuup...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

radiator

QuoteI think some things are the perfect length; Babylon 5, Farscape and The Shield spring to mind. Then there's things that are too short but might be the perfect length as well. Who's to say that Season Two of Firefly wouldn't have been utter folly or that Season Three of Sapphire and Steel would not have left us wanting more?

I think a lot about Freaks & Geeks, which I think is a phenomenal TV series (I'd rate it as one of my favourite of all time) that was senselessly cancelled after 1 season.

The final scene of season one is so bittersweet on a number of levels, and it always gets me to think what might have been. But then, as you say, further seasons might have not recaptured the magic, and maybe the show wouldn't be as celebrated as a result. Ditto Spaced - I always felt gutted that they never made a third series, but maybe its best to leave it as it was?

There's something to be said for leaving people wanting more, especially in the age of endless sequels, prequels and reboots, where basically nothing mildly popular or successful is ever allowed to actually end without being eventually run into the ground. The idea that they'd call a successful franchise like Star Wars a day after three movies seems laughably quaint now.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]