Main Menu

Things that went over your head...

Started by ming, 09 January, 2012, 11:00:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

It gets better than that! IIRC 'Nobber' is an anglicisation of 'an obair' = 'the work', probably referring to the large Anglo-Norman motte-and-bailey earthwork at the edge of the village.

Now it so happens that the Dublinese for girlfriend is 'Mot' (from 'maith an cailín' = 'good girl').  So as a callow lad of 18 working away from home for the first time in that eponymous village, references to 'Nobber motte' regularly had me in stitches.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 October, 2019, 12:29:55 PM
It gets better than that! IIRC 'Nobber' is an anglicisation of 'an obair' = 'the work', probably referring to the large Anglo-Norman motte-and-bailey earthwork at the edge of the village.

Now it so happens that the Dublinese for girlfriend is 'Mot' (from 'maith an cailín' = 'good girl').  So as a callow lad of 18 working away from home for the first time in that eponymous village, references to 'Nobber motte' regularly had me in stitches.

Thanks for the education - I did try to learn a bit of Gaelic a few years back, but fell at the pronounciation hurdle!

Funt Solo

Mind the oranges, Marlon being a deeper reference than I thought...

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 October, 2019, 05:27:14 PM
Mind the oranges, Marlon being a deeper reference than I thought...

Yep, I copped that lonnng after reading it; or possibly had it explained to me on this forum. I don't quite remember.  Who would have thought it was a layered story.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

I've only just noticed that the leader of the Parliament gang in Carroll's zarjaz Dredd story 'The Long Game' is called Andrel Markota and  bears something of a resemblance to this person:

Apologies,  can't find a larger version of that page, but that's her down the bottom!   Squint, damn you!

JayzusB.Christ

I only recently realised that 'phizog' is short for physiognomy. I know nothing,  Jon Snow.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Enigmatic Dr X

I realised at the zoo that eiderdown is actual downy feathers from a spieces of duck called the Eider.
Lock up your spoons!

JayzusB.Christ

Get the feck outta here. I don't think I even realised till now that the 'down' part referred to feathers, never mind the Eider part

JayzusB.Christ

Venus on the Frag Shell (Friday-era Venus Bluegenes story) and Venus of the Hard Sell (Song written by John Constantine when he was a punk singer):

Venus on the Half-Shell (sci fi novel inspired by Botticelli's Birth of Venus).

Frank

Friday, Top, Eightball ... and LUCKY.

LUCKY ... because he's a BAG! Slaps forehead and kicks self for 30 years spent knowing there was something there but never quite making the (obvious) connection

radiator

sheridan

I've never heard of it either.  According to wikipedia it's some sort of obscure US Navy reference? lucky bag?

Dandontdare

Did you not have lucky bags as a kid? They were basically proto-lootboxes with mainly sweets, but also stuff like crayons, stickers or small toys.

The Legendary Shark

And, my personal favourite, plastic vampire teeth.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

Even in 1988, it was a sort of Baby Boomer reference, but, looking at those reactions, it seems the concept might have lived longer in the imagination the further north you popped into existence.

Lucky bags belong to the same cinematic universe as jawbreakers, paying for a cinema ticket with jam jars, and Ready Steady Go - shit your parents wanged on about when they were drunk.

I was in a family-run chippie last week and they had jars of those mix-up sweets - shoelaces, rhubarb and custard, blackjacks - behind the counter. I realised the nostalgia they provoked in me was the second-hand, Brexity WE DIDN'T FIGHT TWO WORLD WARS, ersatz kind. They reminded me of my childhood in the sense that they reminded me of my mum and dad buying me a mix-up and telling me how much it reminded them of their lives as kids, which I enjoyed. But the rubbish of my own childhood was Wispas, Um Bongo and Space Raiders