Main Menu

GTA V

Started by Link Prime, 16 August, 2013, 08:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Quote from: GrinningChimera on 29 October, 2013, 01:58:00 AM
I was randomly driving around and hit a sign and got a "1 OF 50 SIGNS DESTROYED" or something similar. This is well after beating the same so I've hit quite a few signs. Has anyone else found any "hidden achievements" similar? Now I'm driving around hitting every sign I see hoping to work out what kind of sign's I need to hit.

I believe this is part of one of Michael's side missions for the crazy real estate guy. You have to destroy all of his rival's signs which are dotted around the proxy Hollywood Hills area. If you go to the rival realty firm's website via the browser on your phone (look for the email from him and you can follow the attached link) you can see where they all are, and even set the coordinates to each one to your GPS.

I used a baseball bat for extra satisfaction.

I would say that just finishing the 'main' story missions really is less than half the game - there are tons and tons of 'strangers and freaks' missions, and working your way through them, while optional, opens up lots of extras and activities.

radiator

I would definitely recommend people sign up to the Rockstar Social Club thing - it gives you a complete breakdown of everything you have and haven't done in the game, including all the secret side missions.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 28 October, 2013, 01:25:07 PM
Anyone else used the phone camera much?

Here's one for you Radiator; Dr. Friedlander had a little motoring accident (after confessing his love for me)

GrinningChimera

he got away from me. sends me txts and emails from time to time telling me how he's doing and what he's up to

JamesC

Just finished the GTA V story. It's a great game. My minor niggles are that the shooting mechanic was little frustrating - both the cover system and auto aim were a little inconsistent. The other thing was that I'd prefer the camera to be locked to the position of the vehicle you're driving rather than sort of float about. As soon as you get in a car it should give you a rear view of the vehicle like you'd find in a Need For Speed game.

Neither of these things ruined my overall enjoyment of the game though. It's a brilliant, well written, funny, work of art.

GrinningChimera

Which ending did you choose?

JamesC

I went for option C. I couldn't bring myself to bump off either of the main guys and those other arseholes had it coming!

Link Prime

Quote from: JamesC on 02 November, 2013, 06:33:02 PM
I went for option C.

I went for option C too, even though I suspected it would lead to Franklin's demise.
Glad it didnt!

I really don't think I'm in humour to get the 100% on this game, so am wrapping up at 85% with all main missions done and only two 'strangers & freaks' (including the UFO one) left.

Things like the overly long sonar collection side quest and the "Dear Customer: F*CK YOU" 3rd triathlon (where the player has the pleasure of pressing the 'X' button repeatedly for 30+ minutes) made me realize there's better ways to spend my time.

Started up GTA Online for an hour yesterday, very good fun- will be getting stuck in this week.

radiator

QuoteThings like the overly long sonar collection side quest and the "Dear Customer: F*CK YOU" 3rd triathlon (where the player has the pleasure of pressing the 'X' button repeatedly for 30+ minutes) made me realize there's better ways to spend my time.

Heh - did you do the Epsilon missions? They get increasingly trollish as they go. In one you have to wear the Epsilon robes for something like 10 days in-game - basically meaning you have to spend 15 minutes going to sleep and waking up to speed up the day cycle. Then the next one involves you having to walk around on foot in the desert for 5 miles. Frustrating enough, but all the more so because you can be randomly killed by a mountain lion* or abducted by some weirdo who tasers you and leaves you - minus the robes - on the train tracks. Either of these events - or leaving the area - resets the 5 mile counter. And what made this mission especially trying was that I ballsed up the final Epsilon mission and ended up having to do it twice...

*Seriously, fuck those bastard mountain lions. It's bloody ridiculous that they are basically insta-death and are only ever a major annoyance. Moutain lions aren't even particularly dangerous in real life and tend to avoid humans rather than attack them, and it seems especially stupid and contrived that they can basically kill you by gnawing on your ankle once when you can also survive multiple gunshot wounds and car wrecks.

QuoteThe other thing was that I'd prefer the camera to be locked to the position of the vehicle you're driving rather than sort of float about. As soon as you get in a car it should give you a rear view of the vehicle like you'd find in a Need For Speed game.

You didn't seriously play the whole game with the cinematic camera did you?!?!

Tbh I found the standard in-vehicle camera slightly too low, meaning that I had to constantly be nudging it up with the stick so I could see in front of me. This was alleviated by finding out you can set the camera higher up in the options. Weird that they'd make the annoying low angle the default - did no one really flag this as a potential problem during testing?

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 04 November, 2013, 01:09:52 PM
QuoteThings like the overly long sonar collection side quest and the "Dear Customer: F*CK YOU" 3rd triathlon (where the player has the pleasure of pressing the 'X' button repeatedly for 30+ minutes) made me realize there's better ways to spend my time.

Heh - did you do the Epsilon missions? They get increasingly trollish as they go. In one you have to wear the Epsilon robes for something like 10 days in-game - basically meaning you have to spend 15 minutes going to sleep and waking up to speed up the day cycle. Then the next one involves you having to walk around on foot in the desert for 5 miles. Frustrating enough, but all the more so because you can be randomly killed by a mountain lion* or abducted by some weirdo who tasers you and leaves you - minus the robes - on the train tracks. Either of these events - or leaving the area - resets the 5 mile counter. And what made this mission especially trying was that I ballsed up the final Epsilon mission and ended up having to do it twice...

*Seriously, fuck those bastard mountain lions. It's bloody ridiculous that they are basically insta-death and are only ever a major annoyance. Moutain lions aren't even particularly dangerous in real life and tend to avoid humans rather than attack them, and it seems especially stupid and contrived that they can basically kill you by gnawing on your ankle once when you can also survive multiple gunshot wounds and car wrecks.

QuoteThe other thing was that I'd prefer the camera to be locked to the position of the vehicle you're driving rather than sort of float about. As soon as you get in a car it should give you a rear view of the vehicle like you'd find in a Need For Speed game.

You didn't seriously play the whole game with the cinematic camera did you?!?!

Tbh I found the standard in-vehicle camera slightly too low, meaning that I had to constantly be nudging it up with the stick so I could see in front of me. This was alleviated by finding out you can set the camera higher up in the options. Weird that they'd make the annoying low angle the default - did no one really flag this as a potential problem during testing?

No, not the cinematic camera, but when you get in a car the camera will sometimes be facing the front of the car and will then pan around to the rear as you drive off. Then when driving fast, if you do sharp turns you'll get a full on side angle view of your car as the camera catches up. I just thinks it makes handling and judging tight gaps more difficult. In a NFS game, for example, you'll never get more than a three quarter angle of your vehicle's rear (and that's only when drifting).
It's only a minor complaint but if you're going to have driving as a main part of the game then handle it like the diving game experts handle it. Same goes for the shooting sections.

radiator

To be fair to them, I think they really tightened up the shooting in this latest one - and frankly, it isn't fair to judge the controls in an open-world game against a linear game - as a linear game is always going to be more polished.

I've had arguments with friends about this, but I still maintain that Japanese devs by and large do the most balanced, tightest and most satisfying videogame controls. Western-made games almost always feel a little too loose and twitchy to me, and GTA - while an improvement, is no exception.

One other slightly irksome thing for me would be the slightly annoying ragdoll physics and the exaggerated falls when you jump into a wall or something. Seems to take the player character ages to stand up again!

Bubba Zebill

I'd really appreciate any advice on this...I'm out of my depth with games and my boys want a PS3 fro Crimbo. They tell me a PS4 is useless because it's 'next gen' and won't run GTA V...

It seems weird not to get the latest PS... is it true there is no plan to produce GTA V for next gen systems?? Surely not???

...also...what kind of a screen would I be best to get (gaming quality/value for money/reasonable enough price wise)...any thoughts on how best I should set up a system to primarily play GTA V...?

Muchos Thanks in advance....very much muchos in fact.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

radiator

A next-gen (PS4/Xbox One) port of GTA V is currently unconfirmed but heavily rumoured for a spring 2014 release.

A potential solution would be to get a second hand ps3 for now if they just want GTA V.

Link Prime

Quote from: Bubba Zebill on 04 November, 2013, 02:29:19 PM
I'd really appreciate any advice on this...I'm out of my depth with games and my boys want a PS3 fro Crimbo. They tell me a PS4 is useless because it's 'next gen' and won't run GTA V...

It seems weird not to get the latest PS... is it true there is no plan to produce GTA V for next gen systems?? Surely not???

...also...what kind of a screen would I be best to get (gaming quality/value for money/reasonable enough price wise)...any thoughts on how best I should set up a system to primarily play GTA V...?

Muchos Thanks in advance....very much muchos in fact.

Hey Bubba,

Without getting into a whole Microsoft vs Sony debate, I'd heartily endorse the PS3 over the Xbox 360 due to the fact that PSN (PlayStation Network) is free on PS3, therefore GTA Online (packaged on the same disc as GTA V) can be played for free.

The best deal I've seen out there is this;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-500GB-Super-Console/dp/B00BF6D48I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1383575666&sr=8-3&keywords=ps3+gta+v

From what I've read online GTA V will be released on the next gen consoles (Xbox One & PS4) sometime in 2014.
What enhancements it'll have, I don't know, but I would honestly think there wont be any real difference with the current gen version.
Also, as far as I've read, PSN access will not be free on PS4.

So If you're after GTA V / GTA Online this Christmas- I'd go for a PS3.

Regarding monitors/ TV screens to use for gaming; there are new versions of HD screens brought out every 25 minutes, so for me it would be a matter of popping into your local mass-market electronics store and looking for the best screen for the best price (and shopping around too, as prices vary hugely).

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 04 November, 2013, 01:09:52 PM

Heh - did you do the Epsilon missions?

No- and now I never will!  :D