Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Lobo Baggins

I've been listening to this since it started.  Their Bill Savage impersonation needs to be heard to be believed!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

sheridan

Hadn't been, but going to start.

shaolin_monkey

It's very entertaining! Just listening to them chanting 'Klegg Hai!' is a joy. It's a real voyage of discovery for them, and they're loving it.

sheridan

Got the day off work, have read my weekly prog and have it blasting through the flat so I can hear it in just about any room :D  On the second installment now.

AlexF

It's excellent! Thanks for sharing it on the forums; such a joy to hear someone being super affectionate about a comic that he'd barely heard of before, and the chap reading it all for the second time clearly has a deep abiding love 2000AD as well. I do hope they keep going; gotta admit that there's an awful lot of material in podcast/blog form about the really early tooth, but increasingly less as the Prog numbers rise.

SpaceSpinner2000

Thanks everyone! It's great to hear people liking the show, it's a ton of fun making it.

Besides our website you can find the show on iTunes, the Google Play store, and most podcast apps. We're currently doing two shows a week and making pretty good progress through the Progs (as well as the SciFi Specials and Annuals).

I definitely agree that the first couple years of 2000 AD can be over represented in recap efforts, it's sort of the nature of the beast, as otherwise you have to figure out a semi-arbitrary start point, you know? On our show we're getting every closer to the 80s, where all the classics live :D At this point we have no plan of stopping, our current goal is to put out two shows a week until we reach the Megazine, then we'll have to figure stuff out. But that's a 2019 problem ;)
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 30 May, 2017, 09:14:25 PM
Thanks everyone! It's great to hear people liking the show, it's a ton of fun making it.

Besides our website you can find the show on iTunes, the Google Play store, and most podcast apps. We're currently doing two shows a week and making pretty good progress through the Progs (as well as the SciFi Specials and Annuals).

I definitely agree that the first couple years of 2000 AD can be over represented in recap efforts, it's sort of the nature of the beast, as otherwise you have to figure out a semi-arbitrary start point, you know? On our show we're getting every closer to the 80s, where all the classics live :D At this point we have no plan of stopping, our current goal is to put out two shows a week until we reach the Megazine, then we'll have to figure stuff out. But that's a 2019 problem ;)

Welcome to the forum!

Dandontdare

I just binge-listened to the first 30 on my morning commute and now I'm following them as they come out (and I'm very happy they've gone to twice a week). 

t's great fun, the guys' enthusiasm is infectious, and it's at it's best when they discuss 70s British references and wonder about things like Weetabix, Pickled Onion Outer Spacers and endless stamp coolection ads.Their love for Invasion and Shako in partuicular was great to listen to, and it's okay guys, nobody liked Rick Random.

I've seen a few things with a new perspective through their eyes - such as the fact that Dan Dare is a genocidal dickhead who wins more by luck than judgement and invariably gets ALL his crew killed. Also, I knew Dredd wasn't keen on robots, but didn't appreciate just how consistently robo-racist he's been from day one - whether they're rebelling or kissing his boots, he hates 'em all.

They're a little harsh on the specials and annuals - jeez guys, reading a few actual words won't kill ya, and those space articles were cutting-edge in 1978!

The one thing that invariably bugs me though is the mispronunciation of names - it's GERRY (same as Jerry) Finlay Day, not Garry! Oh and the downside of listening to them on the morning commute is that they frame each episode with a chart song from that month, which can be real nostalgic earworms. It's embarrasing to spend a whole day singing Silver Lady or Figaro!

Steve Green

The music of the week really sets the scene, and yeah the enthusiasm is infectious. I think the whole package is like opening up a time capsule including the non-thrills, ads etc which you don't get with the trades.

It passed me by how much of a genocidal maniac DD was as well.

Favouwite episode was the one with the Dwedd episode weviewed with a tewwifyingly accuwate pwonunication.

Lobo Baggins

Quote from: Steve Green on 31 May, 2017, 08:25:35 AM
Favouwite episode was the one with the Dwedd episode weviewed with a tewwifyingly accuwate pwonunication.

My favourite was the one where Conrad reads an utterly bonkers (but completely accurate!) synopsis of Angel while Fox looses it in the background.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

8-Ball

Had a quick listen to a random episode last night, superb. I especially liked the Invasion stuff.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

skurvy

It's my new favourite podcast, I absolutely love it. I also really want a "quack, quack Volgs" t-shirt now.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 May, 2017, 11:06:19 PM
They're a little harsh on the specials and annuals - jeez guys, reading a few actual words won't kill ya, and those space articles were cutting-edge in 1978!

The one thing that invariably bugs me though is the mispronunciation of names - it's GERRY (same as Jerry) Finlay Day, not Garry! Oh and the downside of listening to them on the morning commute is that they frame each episode with a chart song from that month, which can be real nostalgic earworms. It's embarrasing to spend a whole day singing Silver Lady or Figaro!

Oh man, that's really embarrasing about Gerry Finlay-Day, I swear I've seen that name pronounced elsewhere as "Gary" but I will change my pronounciation going forward (it may take a while for it to filter into the episodes, we're pretty far ahead in terms of taping). I think we are a bit harsher on Annuals and Specials than we could be, usually it's just that the content in general isn't as good as the regular progs and the short stories and features bear the brunt of that.

I'm always happy to put weird ear-worms in people's heads from the opening songs! I always end of bopping along to some old disco track or something, and there was one really funny day at the office when Fox came in singing "Take a Chance on Me" uncontrollably because of the show :D

Quote from: skurvyIt's my new favourite podcast, I absolutely love it. I also really want a "quack, quack Volgs" t-shirt now
Invasion remains a favorite of ours, and coming up there's a call back to "quack, quack Volgs" during our coverage of Disaster 1990 that I think is pretty hilarious!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Dandontdare

It's true the annuals and specials aren't as good as the prog - even as a kid I could tell when a story was recycled filler or when a writer doesn't "get" a character - but I must disagree that a 10yr old would skip the features, quizzes and text stories: trust me, if you're stuck on a wet campsite in Wales for 2 weeks with no TV you'd read that sucker cover to cover several times!!!