Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 21 January, 2018, 12:25:21 PM
Really cool hearing you covering the Daily Dredd reprints! My apologies for giving you 'guff' about it earlier, but super-stoked to hear you may be tackling the collected volumes at some point in the future!  :D

Haha no problem! Frankly it's super flattering to think anyone wants to hear our coverage of things!

The thing I love about the specials is that since they're so short (60 pages or so, half the size of the usual 120-150 pages of a standard month) they give us a chance to draw out discussions and go down rabbit holes that we'd normally have to skip so that the show doesn't end up being two hours long.

Quote from: WhizzBang on 18 January, 2018, 09:20:17 PM
I was 9 or 10 year old Eagle reader (it was pretty good, especially the Dan Dare which was closer to the original Frank Hampsen one, and Doomlord by John Wagner) and there was a boy who lived near me who was 13 who I looked up to a bit and thought he was really cool. He told me 2000AD was far better than The Eagle and lent me the run of progs containing Judge Death Lives. I loved it and immediately took up 2000AD from prog 300 which had a free Dredd badge with it.

Nice! We'll get to 300 soon enough and I'd interested to hear how our opinions match up with your 10 year old ones :D

Quote from: Steve Green on 18 January, 2018, 01:43:00 PM
Definitely Scientology in Ace Trucking.

Yeah that makes sense, it can be hard some times figuring out what movements are popular when. For instance there's a Robo-Hunter story coming up with a robot cult and I can't tell if it's just a parody of Hare Krishnas or also of the Unification Church. Always a fraught topic.
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Steve Green

Probably more the moonies than Hare Krishna, the moonies popped up in the tabloids in the early 80s, but Hare Krishna processions were quite often seen up and down Oxford Street in central London.

Then there's football crazy... ahem.

SpaceSpinner2000

The robo-world cup is really going to stretch my ability to research and comprehend 36 year old cultural references and jokes.

Also I've been reading ahead a bit, and the greatest tragedy is that the Human League in Robo-Hunter doesn't sing any Human League songs!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Steve Green

It pretty much boils down to who was who in English football - managers/coaches/pundits/players

Ron - Ron Greenwood (England Manager)

Don - Don Revy (England coach)

Brians (pundits) - one was Brian Clough (Nottingham Forest Manager), another possibly Brian Moore, not sure who the other Brian was - got the feeling Jimmy Hill might have been in there (don't have it to hand)

Trev - could have been Trevor Francis or Brooking
Kev - Kevin Keegan

Bev - no idea, maybe just a play on the other 'evs

The title comes from an old song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDRBDX3nt_o

Colin YNWA

Yeah Jimmy Hill is definately in there and its both Trevor Brooking and Trevor Frances as I recall aren't there two Trevs???

Steve Green

Colin YNWA

https://goo.gl/images/K2s5Sb

The image middle left (3rd panel) I always thought the Brians were (from left to right) Jimmy Hill, Elton John (who owned Watford at this time I think?) and Ron Greenwood, then England manager... I could very well be wrong.

Could find an image of the Trevs with a quite search.

Steve Green

Surely Ron is... Ron the manager.

The Legendary Shark

I think we all have to agree, that certainly is a powerful image.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SpaceSpinner2000

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 January, 2018, 10:43:08 PM
Surely Ron is... Ron the manager.

Yeah this always confused me (well on recent re-reads) as it looks like Ron Greenwood to me... as I say I have a reputation for getting this sort of thing right.

manwithnoname

Quote from: Steve Green on 21 January, 2018, 05:20:31 PM
Probably more the moonies than Hare Krishna, the moonies popped up in the tabloids in the early 80s, but Hare Krishna processions were quite often seen up and down Oxford Street in central London.

Then there's football crazy... ahem.

No Blakee Pentax!

Colin YNWA

I listened to this in the week and meant to say I'm really pleased the way the break landed on the cliffhanger. I remember back in the day just being flummoxed by how Dredd was going to survive, if he possibly could, what would they do now he was dead, just endless conversations in school... and with my brother, though he had sussed it and wouldn't tell me... I was young and hadn't paid enough attention to the trip to the armourer.

Gosh that was one of the longest weeks of my life and one I'm so glad I was able to live in real time. A treat that box sets and collections deny so many and a fine example of why reading the Prog week by week is still the thing to do.

Fantastic word as ever chaps and I'm really looking forward to hearing tonights offering as I trudge to work tomorrow morning.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling eighty-first episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 262-266 of 2000 AD, covering May of 1982. Join us as we solve the case with Sam Slade, restart revenge with Matt Tallon, and strike back with Judge Dredd!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

AlexF

Die Hard in a Spaceship = Lockout? (With Guy Pearce, highly recommended as a silly action film)

Although technically it's 'Escape from New York in a Space prison', but that's close enough, surely?

Can't wait for you guys to get to Harry 20 on the High Rock, a highlight for 11-year-old me when I read it in the Best of... Monthly.