Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Cyrille Regis.
59 died of a heart attack.
A monster of a centre forward and put up with loads of racist shit with complete dignity.
RIP.

CalHab

Dandontdare

Quote from: CalHab on 17 January, 2018, 03:22:04 PM
David Squires made a lovely tribute cartoon to Regis:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2018/jan/16/david-squires-cyrille-regis-one-of-british-footballs-most-important-players

I love David Squire's cartoons - as well as the one he does int he UK guardian he does one on Australian sport for the oz edition - I don't know any of the people he talks about but they're stil great

sheridan

Daveycandlish

Fekking love Peter Wyngarde. One of the few folk I would have gone to  a comic con for an autograph for. Not going to happen now. 😕
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

sheridan

Jim Rodford, 76, Kinks and Zombies bassist.

Professor Bear

After a long but hard-fought battle with leukemia, Bob Wakelin, promotional and cover artist for so many 8 and 16-bit computer games whose artworks are still seared into my brain, from Where Time Stood Still to Renegade to Operation Wolf to Cabal to Wizball, when people talk of underwhelming 48-128k games whose audience were suckered in by fantastic cover images, there's a good chance they were talking specifically about one of Bob's fantastic renderings.
Even if you weren't into gaming or home computers, if you were reading pop culture and/or sci-fi magazines in the early 1980s to the mid-90s, you'd have seen some of his work on the cover, in an advertisement, or possibly you remember one of his covers for Starlord, or some of his Marvel UK covers/posters.
Just check out what comes up if you Google his name, chances are you'll recognise something.
For those of a certain vintage, and those who came after that with an eye for the art styles of the 1980s or a love of retro gaming, this is a sad loss.
RIP.

Heath C Ackley

A lot of memories for me there Prof, particularly Wolf and the Batman game. It's a shame that artists like Bob Wakelin aren't recognised more for their obvious talents.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

TordelBack

Good grud,  those were all by one man?  I'd sort of quietly assumed this mountain of cheesy joy was the output of a quite specific artistic movement. Amazing.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 January, 2018, 07:36:34 PM
Good grud,  those were all by one man?  I'd sort of quietly assumed this mountain of cheesy joy was the output of a quite specific artistic movement. Amazing.

My thoughts exactly. Though I didn't know who he was until today, he had a massive impact on my childhood and helped steer me towards my present career.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Something Fishy

Very sad to hear.  His work sold a lot of tapes, that is for sure.

Yup that was a big part of what got me into programming myself jayzus.

manwithnoname

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 January, 2018, 03:22:27 PM
After a long but hard-fought battle with leukemia, Bob Wakelin, promotional and cover artist for so many 8 and 16-bit computer games whose artworks are still seared into my brain, from Where Time Stood Still to Renegade to Operation Wolf to Cabal to Wizball, when people talk of underwhelming 48-128k games whose audience were suckered in by fantastic cover images, there's a good chance they were talking specifically about one of Bob's fantastic renderings.
Even if you weren't into gaming or home computers, if you were reading pop culture and/or sci-fi magazines in the early 1980s to the mid-90s, you'd have seen some of his work on the cover, in an advertisement, or possibly you remember one of his covers for Starlord, or some of his Marvel UK covers/posters.
Just check out what comes up if you Google his name, chances are you'll recognise something.
For those of a certain vintage, and those who came after that with an eye for the art styles of the 1980s or a love of retro gaming, this is a sad loss.
RIP.

Wakelin produced some really top-notch art for Ocean, he was certainly the best-known "computer game" artist around in the late 80s early 90s, and arguably the best.

Batman, The Great Escape, Where Time Stood Still....all superb.

dweezil2

I was unaware of his work on Starlord, despite reading it at the time, but his computer game work is indelibly etched on my memory-a huge loss indeed!  :'(
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

sheridan

Howard Lew Lewis, I knew him as Blag in Chelmsford 123, Elmo in Brush Strokes and Rabies in Maid Marian and her Merry Men.

Robin Low

Quote from: sheridan on 23 January, 2018, 01:00:13 PM
Howard Lew Lewis, I knew him as Blag in Chelmsford 123, Elmo in Brush Strokes and Rabies in Maid Marian and her Merry Men.

Oh, bollocks, that's a shame. I remember quite a few of us at school watched Brush Strokes primarily for Elmo Putney.

Regards,

Robin