Main Menu

Marvel comics

Started by ukdane, 15 January, 2008, 02:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

I'm reading wolverine; Soultaker. Er.. someone passed it on to me. % instalments.

A; you have like poor anime.
B; It doesn't rely on continuity.
C; You have to like wolverine.
and
D; Its Marvel and that is the only reason I tagged the thread.

Krom.

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Kazzann

Currently far to many Marvel for my own good (Infinite Crisis Countdown War is crap and only thing worth reading at DC appears to be Green Lantern War) but top 3 are -

Punisher Max- Slavers arc in particular is fantastic, Just a shame Garth is leaving soon

Fantastic Four - Dwayne Mcduffie having some fun with Marvel's first family. Apprehensive on the whole Hitch / Millar thing tho

Iron Man - slow car crash as Tony stark watches all his good intentions backfire on him. surprising decent after the dickish way he was portrayed in civil war

Radbacker

You know I get quite a few Marvel comics but cant for the life of me remember what they are, i enjoy them as a 10 minute read but then general never touch again.  Not klike Tooth that gets cionstant re-reads.
Only titles i can actually remember month to month are Imortal Iron Fist(never thought I'd like a kung-fu comic), the two Avengers comics(mighty and new) just to see what the hell is happening wuith this whole shape shifter invasion that seems to have disappeared, i did like Young Avengers but that seems to have dissappeared off the shelf after Civil War.  Spider Man has always been a bit Meh to me and pushing the re-set doesn't really make me want to get into it.  I cant help but get the X-books and have done since Morrisons run, the Big cross over thats happening at the moment seems entertaining enough and Carey is a good writter.

CU Radbacker

TordelBack

I've just read the Straczynski(sp?)/Weston The Twelve first issue- first Marvel comic I've thought about getting in ages.  It's better than it should be, and Weston's art is beyond awesome.  I was somewhat amazed to see that it's apparently firmly set in the main Marvel continuity, in that there were many references to Civil War, and none to Mary Jane Parker (joke, joke).  

I also read the Brand New Day Spiderman issue.  If you're going to jetison almost everything to reboot a character, you should probably do something with said icon, not just have him spend 22 pages attending job interviews, getting mugged and visiting a soup kitchen.  Stan and Steve this ain't.

SamuelAWilkinson

It's the shiny new(er) Ultimate range of TPs for me. Ultimate Spidey's very good - like an American high school teen drama, but with spider-powers, which is good if you happen to like that sort of thing. Handily, I do.

The Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men are also surprisingly good, as far as I've read. Ignore the first issue of each storyline and anything an English character says (because it's almost certainly the word 'git' or 'bugger' used in a bizzare context) and the Millar-man provides!
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

Satanist

"What's the best one to start with? "

Well the MK range has some really daft stories with superheroes, OT violence and villains that wouldn't be out of place in Preacher. Some lovely Steve Dillon & Cam Kennedy art as well.

The Max range still has the OT violence but is more realistically drawn and the stories are more serious.

I really like them both but I think the Marvel Knights stuff just edges it for me.

So start with Welcome Welcome Back Frank  is the short answer.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

ukdane

Welcome Back Frank is the one I have. So, what's the next step (Wikipedia doesn't have a tpb list for Punisher books)?
Cheers

-Daney

Satanist

Punisher MK
1)Welcome Back Frank
2)Army of One
3)Business as Usual
and
4)Full Auto
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

ukdane

Is there a list of the Omnibus collections that Marvel has/is planning to release?
Cheers

-Daney

Floyd-the-k

Ennis' Punisher is indeed THE BOMB - I have the first two lovely big hardback collections and a few of the subsequent tpbs. The very last one I got showed him treading water a bit - he pretty much recyles Soap and Von Richtofen

The Monarch

I say start getting the twelve while you can it looks good it reads good and it probably tastes good too

The Monarch

I say start getting the twelve while you can it looks good it reads good and it probably tastes good too

House of Usher

Marvel Comics. Since about 1987 they've been a bit shit haven't they? I haven't bothered with them much for the past 20 years.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

After many years of avoiding the implosion of the the X-Books and Marvel in general, I just finished the first 23 issues of Whedon's Astonishing X-Men in one big self-indulgent read (the last  issue's on its way, apparently ), and if you liked pre-Secret Wars,/i> Claremont, this stuff is gold.  Good Claremonty team dynamics, Kitty Pryde centre stage, alien threats, resurrected characters and rambling sub-plots, but with Whedon's infinitely better ear for snappy dialogue (admittedly a matter of taste, but I'm a Buffy and Firefly fan) and nice consistent (if a bit photo-ref'd for my tastes) art from Cassady.  It was like a long warm cup of the 80's, even if it's quixotic attempts to make Cyclops remotely interesting fail utterly.  Recommended, although I'm glad I didn't have to survive the publication schedule - 23 issues in nearly 5 years!).    

TordelBack