Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling fiftieth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1980 Sci-Fi Special of 2000 AD. This Special contains the 2000AD premiere of both Alan Moore and Steve Dillon, and has some cool stories without a ton of filler. Thanks to all our listeners for helping us get to fifty episodes! Here's to a whole lot more!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling fifty-first episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 168-172 of 2000 AD, covering July and August of 1980. Join us as the Stainless Steel Rat saves the world, for the first time, but not the last time, Wolfie Smith opens an evil door, the Geeks go undercover, the robot war begins, and we trip balls on Oracle Spice!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

Funny Feet ice lollies were never one foot long, it's a 'one foot lolly' (which I'm pretty sure is cheating).

You wouldn't want one that big anyway, as they were horrible - chemical tasting ice cream that had the texture of cotton wool, if I recall.

I liked Wall's Fat Frog lollies (apple flavour shaped like a frog for some reason) but no one else seems to even remember them.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 24 July, 2017, 04:17:09 PM
Funny Feet ice lollies were never one foot long, it's a 'one foot lolly' (which I'm pretty sure is cheating).

You wouldn't want one that big anyway, as they were horrible - chemical tasting ice cream that had the texture of cotton wool, if I recall.

I liked Wall's Fat Frog lollies (apple flavour shaped like a frog for some reason) but no one else seems to even remember them.

That's one of the saddest things I've ever heard! I have to completely rethink my ice lolly strategy now, maybe the Incredible Hulk one? Of the alternate names for things starting with L that you guys have (Loo, Lorry, Lift, etc) I think calling popsicles ice lollies is my favorite :D

Oh, for everyone else, we're talking about this frequent advertisement in 2000AD circa summer 1980:

Steve Green

Cruel lies told to children. You had sea monkeys, we had 1 foot lollies.

Besides, the best ones were the cider flavoured ones.

Pyroxian

The Incredible Hulk lollies were pretty good (and came with a trading card IIRC), but they weren't as good as Dalek Death Rays :)

Dandontdare

Quote from: Steve Green on 24 July, 2017, 06:31:39 PM
Besides, the best ones were the cider flavoured ones.

Oh wow, I'd forgotten about those - just googled them - Lyons Maid Cider Barrel and Cider Quench ("the drink on a stick"). And it should be pointed out that in the UK cider isn't apple juice, but the preferred cheap strong alcohol of choice for underage kids, shouty tramps and functioning alcoholics of limited funds. But fine in lollies.

Don't get me started on chocolate smoker's sets in the Christmas stocking....

Colin YNWA

As I recall (see previous comments on my memory) Funny Feet melted really fast. Making their comsumption, even on a holiday camping on the Devon coast a feat (no pun intended... well okay just a little) a test of speed, skill and hand licking.

Steve Green

Yeah on one hand you had Superman's anti-smoking ads, and the other Superman branded sweet cigarettes.

Sweet syringes seem even more iffy.

skurvy

Remember Top Deck? I loved the shandy and lager and lime ones but couldn't stand the cider one. Maybe because it wasn't as good as the real thing.

Fungus

Funny Feet did indeed melt real fast. Bit insubstantial as a choice of lolly for that reason. This is tickling the far reaches of my memory banks!

Anyway. Listening to podcast 5 today and found the observation that sometimes Shako kills directly, and sometimes indirectly, very satisfying. Bravo! Also found the 'Shake'-O pronunciation odd, it's been 'Shack'-O for me. Based on nothing much of course. 'Shack'-'Zero' ?  :)

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Fungus on 24 July, 2017, 10:48:25 PM
Anyway. Listening to podcast 5 today and found the observation that sometimes Shako kills directly, and sometimes indirectly, very satisfying. Bravo! Also found the 'Shake'-O pronunciation odd, it's been 'Shack'-O for me. Based on nothing much of course. 'Shack'-'Zero' ?  :)

That must a temporary thing, because in my mind I definitely pronounce it as either "shack-o" or "sha-ko," or just generally with a soft a. Also, one of the key things about him is the many and varied ways he kills people, it's not just biting their heads off!

Fungus

Dang. You may be right. It's been a long day.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Fungus on 25 July, 2017, 12:30:15 AM
Dang. You may be right. It's been a long day.

No problem either way, I'm sensitive about pronunciation after learned that I mispronounced Gerry Finley-Day's name for like 40 episodes! D:

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: Steve Green on 24 July, 2017, 10:15:46 PM
Yeah on one hand you had Superman's anti-smoking ads, and the other Superman branded sweet cigarettes.

Sweet syringes seem even more iffy.

Sweet syringes sounds like a dangerous, yet promising business venture.

"Doctor, what's wrong with me!?"

"Looks like you've got SWEET TOOTH. But I've got the cure! Sweet Syringes. Get your fix with the stick that does the trick!"