Main Menu

Fighting Fantasy gamebooks/comics. Anyone a fan?

Started by Michael Knight, 03 August, 2017, 04:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

The new artwork on the new books is shockingly bad. The artist hasn't even tried to be original either -- he's just ripped off the original pictures but done them with much less skill and they look terrible. And it's presumably been done just so they don't gave to pay royalties to the original artists. I was going to buy one as a Christmas present for a child but now in just going to find one of the Wizard editions on Amazon.

sheridan

Quote from: JLC on 03 August, 2017, 09:18:41 PM
Loved these books. Fighting Fantasy was the best series. Lone Wolf was good. There were a couple other series, one I'm sure in which you could be a were-creature? The artwork was more like old Conan stuff?

There was Creature of Havoc, were you played some sort of monster who's unaware of what they are (I have it but haven't read it yet, so can't go in to more detail).  There was another one where you play a monster who flips in to another dimension, with art by Ian Miller, but I don't have time to go through all my FF books to figure out which one it is.

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 05 August, 2017, 09:14:32 PM
The new artwork on the new books is shockingly bad. The artist hasn't even tried to be original either -- he's just ripped off the original pictures but done them with much less skill and they look terrible. And it's presumably been done just so they don't gave to pay royalties to the original artists. I was going to buy one as a Christmas present for a child but now in just going to find one of the Wizard editions on Amazon.
Especially when Russ Nicholson (artist for Warlock of Firetop Mountain) is still in business.

SIP

For nostalgias sake, here is a quick picture of my collection (I loved the artwork in these books, and the covers.....forest of doom being my fave cover). I'm missing a couple of my books here, they unfortunately must be stored somewhere else. Also have the a4 sized "titan" book knocking about somewhere.

Anyway, just for fun!

Picked up "port of peril" today. I think the design is okay but the illustration style isn't a patch on the original books. Was similarly dismayed to see the reworked versions of Warlock and forest of doom. Oh well, poor modern kids will have to make do I guess.  Give me Ian McCaig any day.

Greg M.

Lovely stuff - your collection extends about two books further than mine, as I think Stealer of Souls was where I stopped.

TordelBack

Nice! Thought I had a decent collection until I saw that! No love for the Advanced FF RPG books, or the various source books?

Jim_Campbell

I have no vested interest in asking whether anyone's been reading the Freeway Fighter comic from Titan. None. No, sir. But, if you liked that Coleby/O'Grady pairing from the art/colours on Jaegir, you're missing a treat. :-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JLC

Lovely stuff SIP! I had most of those as well. Would love to get some of the original artwork.

Currently playing House of Hell on my tablet.

SIP

I've also got this source book knocking around somewhere....it's the a4 sized book I mentioned. I have a lot of stuff buried in wardrobes and would take a little too much sorting at the moment  to dig it out:

Never did get into the more advanced role playing side of FF though, despite owning this, fighting fantasy and the riddling reader.

JLC

I had that as well. Shame I got rid of all of them.

SIP

I struggle getting rid of my childhood stuff! Just managed to finally sell off my snes collection. It hurt, but was glad to get rid afterwards. The money didn't hurt either to be fair!

JLC

Thankfully I've still got about 7 years of progs & a a couple years of Eagle comics somewhere.

Wish I'd kept my FF stuff.

JamesC

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 August, 2017, 08:20:31 PM
I have no vested interest in asking whether anyone's been reading the Freeway Fighter comic from Titan. None. No, sir. But, if you liked that Coleby/O'Grady pairing from the art/colours on Jaegir, you're missing a treat. :-)

I read the first two issues on Thursday and absolutely loved them (as soon as I saw that transition from 'flashback' to 'now' at the start of issue 1, I knew I would). Issue three is on its way.

Michael Knight

Issue 3 is even better! Really hope we get more Fighting Fantasy comics if Freeway fighter is anything to go by.

Richard

[showing off] I've got just over half of the original books. I've got an A1 size print of that Titan cover framed on my wall. And I've got an original commission by Russ Nicholson: [/showing off]