Main Menu

Prog 2044 - The Magic is back

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 13 August, 2017, 04:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

Wouldnt it just be the train going round and round in a neverending circle?

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 August, 2017, 09:48:53 PM
Ouroboros ... (n)ot a bloody clue. I tried to find something circular and self-consuming in the spike/node/earwax plot, but failed

Ouroboros is this season's saudade.

Link Prime

Quote from: Frank on 22 August, 2017, 10:21:18 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 22 August, 2017, 09:48:53 PM
Ouroboros ... (n)ot a bloody clue. I tried to find something circular and self-consuming in the spike/node/earwax plot, but failed

Ouroboros is this season's saudade.

< Attempts witty one-liner with Rob Williams and - er - Ross Dearsley >

< Fails >

TordelBack

Quote from: Leigh S on 22 August, 2017, 10:02:02 PM
Wouldnt it just be the train going round and round in a neverending circle?

Wondered that, but the ouroboros isn't really about going in circles, it's about consuming and re-creating your-/itself: cycles, rather than circles.

JoFox2108

Cover - I really didn't like this when I first saw it, especially with the purple tint (I thought black and grey would be better especially given the issue title) but it's really grown on me - looks great - a window into the past.

Dredd - I enjoyed this story - it's rare to see someone who can outwit Dredd - even a little bit and even temporarily.  Although part of me thinks that Dredd wasn't really trying to capture her in the end as much as he could have done because some part of his conscience is aware of the help she gave him.  The art for Vega looked a bit odd at times, but generally was OK.

Grey Area - I absolutely loved this story with Bulliet turning the tables on Grell - brilliant end to this part of the story.

The Alienist - I thought the surprise at the end was excellent in this strip.  It just made teh whole thing much more interesting.  Normally I find black and white art very difficult to read but I'm doing OK with Eoin's work.  Great job!

Grey Suit - Great story!  I particularly liked the way the CV snippets were used as a counterpoint to the action, and the final end of Prince - excellent job!

Hope - I liked Hope even more than last time it was in the prog.  I find the art very reminicent of the style from the film 'Sin City' and the story has that same old-fashioned, Raymond Chandler-esque hardboiled detective feel.  It's fab!!!

Quote from: jabish on 18 August, 2017, 01:07:16 PM

[...]

, delighted that they've started doing recap pages for some returning strips that's so much better for new readers, bravo, and we've seen some stunning art in the prog recently too. Still worth my subscription? Of course. Its just if Dredd is their flagship strip it needs more focus.

Just my two pence

JB

I totally agree.  The recap page for Hope was excellent.  I'm so pleased that that is in there - it helps me enormously.  I know for some people who've been reading the prog forever it might be a bit of an inconvenience but for a relatively new person like me it''s a massive help.  It puts the all of the rest of the story into context and I get much more out of it.  THANKS THARG!

So generally, for me a truly excellent prog - not a single dud.  I usually like Dredd the most (probably because I've read more Dredd than anything else and it's the Dredd 2012 film which brought me to 2000AD) but this week Dredd felt weaker than most of the other stories.  I'm not saying I didn't like it - I did - but the bar was set really high.

Thinking about the DoC discussion on this thread...

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 August, 2017, 11:30:12 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 17 August, 2017, 06:04:03 PM
Quote from: Frank on 17 August, 2017, 05:02:26 PM
That's very well expressed, and sums up my own feelings. If that final episode of Day Of Chaos had ended with Dredd going down with his city, it would have capped off the strip perfectly.

I'm pretty much with you guys on this one. I've said before that the logical follow-on to Day of Chaos seems, to me, to be a massive overhaul and effective dismantling of the judges in their current form - an end of an era that could indeed be symbolised by Joe's passing. However, that's totally incompatible with the future of Dredd as a house character, wherein the illusion of change, Marvel-style, may be all that awaits.

Agree with the lot of you. It is impossible for me to read DoC (which I did again just last week) and not think that it's the end of the status quo, and the start of a whole new era for the scraps of  MC-1 that survive. An era which never came.

I feel very simillar to a lot of the folks above - DoC seemed to change something in MC1 for me.  I think, in retrospect a bigger emphasis on dealing with the aftermath would have been much better but I get that maybe the authors who followed Wagner's story might not have been fully aware of where it was going.  More than that though, I would love to have seen some kind of major change - like, say a part of MC1 is unlivable and so they have to annex part of the Cursed Earth and then there's some new threat from this action, some new element to the city to do with radiation or mutation or ancient biological weapons etc.  It just needed some kind of consequence I feel.
QuoteIt's all a deep end.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: JoFox2108 on 23 August, 2017, 03:03:06 PM
Dredd - I enjoyed this story - it's rare to see someone who can outwit Dredd - even a little bit and even temporarily. 

Agreed but I'd have liked to have seen HOW she outwitted him rather than have it hand-waved away.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JoFox2108

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 August, 2017, 05:28:24 PM

Agreed but I'd have liked to have seen HOW she outwitted him rather than have it hand-waved away.

I agree, that would have been much more satisfying.
QuoteIt's all a deep end.