Started by Tjm86, 20 August, 2017, 04:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjm86

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 August, 2017, 11:43:29 AM
Skynet is here!

Hopefully the non-threatening slightly petulant Matt Smith version that likes the sound of its own voice, and not the scary faceless network that kills us all without preamble.

Echidna

A promising opening chapter, but sometimes I think the names of Mega-City 1 citizens are a bit too silly - I mean, no-one would ever be called "Elon Musk"

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 August, 2017, 12:39:32 PM
Hopefully the non-threatening slightly petulant Matt Smith version that likes the sound of its own voice, and not the scary faceless network that kills us all without preamble.

Um just realized that could be misniterpreted by anyone sensible enough not to watch the excreable Terminator: Genisys- I meant the other Matt Smith, not the one with command-codes for TMO's hotshot stockpile.

Professor Bear

Killing is bad?  Thank God we have Elon Musk to tell us these things.

JayzusB.Christ

Frankly, I think a lot of people these days need to be told.  (People on both sides, on both sides.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Proudhuff

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 August, 2017, 01:41:54 PM
Killing is bad?  Thank God we have Elon Musk to tell us these things.

Its not us they have to tell, its the robots!

Rogue's Robo-sentries are already here... :o
DDT did a job on me

Mardroid

If both sides developed robot fighters and the winner of the wars were determined purely on which has robot(s)left standing, this could actually save lots of lives * and create a cool TV show in one go. Yeah, we all know that's gonna happen...

*well, apart from the poor robots, but I'm assuming they're not ABC Levels of AI. More Robot Wars, but more autonomous* and with big shooters. Or not. A bot punch up could be a lark...

** Ironically the machines on Robot Wars, aren't strictly speaking robots as they're entirely remote controlled, I believe.

TordelBack

Your argument falls at the hurdle "If both sides developed robot fighters...". As it stands, most wars are asymmetric, and if it costs one side nothing in terms of the politics of body bags to wade through mountains of corpses of their enemies, they will. The flipside is of course even more extreme acts of terror, when no other retaliation is available.

The contemporary iteration of this principle - drones - are at least remote controlled: apparently it's now business as usual to assassinate enemy leaders from a control bunker, even if it doesn't land you the presidency.  Hand street-level killing to autonomous robots and even consciences aren't troubled.

Professor Bear

Plus there's the obvious problem that when the police state is implemented, the police and military aren't necessarily going to play along.  Robots are less likely to have qualms.

Mardroid

Yes I'd doubt they'd stick to the rules. Sooner or later those robots would be used to kill people. I wasn't being entirely serious.

Proudhuff

You are all siding with the enemy, go to your domicile and await the collection droids.
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 August, 2017, 04:02:40 PM(People on both sides, on both sides.)

Didn't really mean to spark debate there.  All I was doing there was meaninglessly quoting my absolute favourite person in the world, the sponge-featured fuckmonkey that runs the free world.  As far as this topic is concerned, I'm about as well-informed as he is on most political topics.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 22 August, 2017, 05:35:53 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 August, 2017, 04:02:40 PM(People on both sides, on both sides.)

Didn't really mean to spark debate there.  All I was doing there was meaninglessly quoting my absolute favourite person in the world, the sponge-featured fuckmonkey that runs the free world.  As far as this topic is concerned, I'm about as well-informed as he is on most political topics.

I dunno, JBC, you've read Savage and Hammerstein's War Memoirs so I'd say you're way more informed on the subject of near-future military robots than Farthead is on virtually anything, with the possible exception of the smell of Russian urine.