Main Menu

Unpublished Halo Jones poster for sale

Started by Wake, 09 March, 2003, 05:37:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

Ian Gibson has just sent me a scan of a recent commission painting he did of Halo Jones. Apparently the original buyer has backed out due to financial problems at the last minute, so Ian is looking for a new buyer.

The artwork is just larger than A3 and the asking price is ?175.

Let me know if you want to buy it.

Wake

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=972&item=2164026801&rd=1" target="_blank">This week's eBay auction from The Oxygen Desert

http://www.2000ad.org/artwork/New-Halo-11-2-03.jpg">

esoteric ed

I have to admit to never reading Halo Jones, but that's a fantastic page, what an artist.

You not want it yourself Wake?

Ed

Wake

I must admit I'm tempted, just as I was tempted by the inked version of Frazer's Dredd/Aliens wraparound. However, I may need the cash in order to diversify my collection and/or pay for other Ian Gibson pages I've been hoarding for myself.

Wake

esoteric ed

I see somebody has it that Incubus cover, that's a really cool item....

How about a trade for a collection of UK Issue #1s... ah well.. never mind ;-)

Ed

karne

Don't really mean to be negative, but I don't think that captures the essence of Halo. I just think she looks like a prostitute trying to act coy. Apart from that it's a lovely piece of art.

Wils

That's a lovely piece of artwork. I wonder if there's any possibility that Ian and the powers that can come to some agreement to make it into a proper poster/art print. There'd be an awful lot of people on here (including myself) that'd snatch up such a great picture. It'd be a definite framer.

paulvonscott

Funnily enough Karne, for some reason, all of Ian's picture post series 3, haven't really looked like Halo Jones to me.  Despite being brilliantly drawn, they seem different.  This stems from a poster of Halo I bought some time back (titan), as well as a free poster in 2000AD sometime later (700ish) which also didn't look like her.

Having said that, if I had 175 to piss away, this would be as good a way as any.

Devons Daddy

wonderful art. but its not the Halo we all new and loved. though given the time line i would accpet this as how she will look should hell freeze over and the creative team return to write book 4.

bit rich for my blood at present.though a pittance for such art by such a master.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Devons Daddy

I just think she looks like a prostitute trying to act coy.

anything you want to add to the other hobbys thread here KARNE? :~>
voyeurist tendancies perhaps.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Mangamax

Don't mind it - just looks like an older version to me.
The perspective on that chairs all wrong

Bolt-01

It seems to me that she just looks a little older and maybe more embittered than we last saw her.

As for the likeness, how often does IG get to draw Halo, not often. Appearences evolve over time and if anyone is allowed to make changes, surely it is the original concept artist.

Who are we to say that it doesn't look right?

A superb piece by a master craftsman.

rotts.

paulvonscott

I just remembered that excellent sketch I got, that DID look like Halo.  I think it may be most of the pictures I've seen have been colour.  Which somehoe doesn't look right when I've only seen her in B/W strips.

Misanthrope

Does anyone else think they should damn Alan Moore and write book four anyway? I suggest John Wagner as Alan's replacement.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

I do.
It's a bad idea.

Whoever did it, it would always be seen as second-best.

Moore has apparently worked out Halo's life over nine books and I'd feel cheated by anything from someone else.

I'm even nervous about the idea of Moore himself continuing it. I'm happy with it the way it is.

Alan Moore should come back and create new stuff, I think.

(Fabulous pic, BTW. Is that all it costs for a Gibson commission? Now, that's tempting...)

- Trout