Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Tjm86

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 04 June, 2015, 09:20:57 AM
Anyone else on here a premium subscriber to this?  I've just noticed that my account has been updated and the first premium poster will be sent with my next delivery.  Unfortunately, it looks like they're expecting to charge me 5 quid for it, which makes no sense as the premium subscription is already £1 more per issue to pay for this.  Anyone else noticed this?

I've just checked mine.  It is listed as £0.00.  I've subscribed since issue 1 so have paid up front.  Looks like your late start point is the reason so the next one should already be covered.

Jade Falcon

I finally finished Shimura.  I've not been reading as much lately, plus I've had a massive Mass Effect fan fic that was well written to finish as well as the two Mass Effect Library editions.

Shimura was......odd.  The character himself seems fairly well written, but the art style seems mixed, depending on the particular story.  Like someone else said, it sometimes feels as if half the story has been cut and you're coming into it in the middle.  Not my favourite volume so far, but I probably will reread at some point as I've read books, not enjoyed them and it's just been the mood I'm in at that time.

Since we're getting stories in the Dredd universe, but with no, or little Dredd present (Shimura and Devlin Waugh being the prime examples), does this mean we'll maybe get Helltreckers as a book or part of a book?  I must admit to being one of the few that seemed to like that story but it has dated somewhat.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Timothy

Interesting split of the Day of Chaos books. Hot Night in 95 has been dropped, and The Assassination List from part 2 added. Will this leave space for a couple of aftermath stories in part 2. I can't say that Hot Night is a huge loss. It's a nice enough story but not essential to the bigger story.

Spikes

Quote from: Timothyjacobs on 10 June, 2015, 02:47:31 PM
Interesting split of the Day of Chaos books. Hot Night in 95 has been dropped, and The Assassination List from part 2 added. Will this leave space for a couple of aftermath stories in part 2. I can't say that Hot Night is a huge loss. It's a nice enough story but not essential to the bigger story.

Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow. The DoC, is like the Cursed Earth, or the Apocalypse War for me. I imagine I'll end up buying it every time it get's released..

And kinda glad that it's not a straight reprinting of the fairly recent trades. Is the Skinning Room still present?
TBH, I'd not miss either (not that there's owt wrong with those two tales. Far from it), but nice to have something different. I suspect Mr Carroll's 'Downtime' episode hasn't been included this time round?
So yes, be interesting to see how they fill out book 2...

robert_ellis

This book is stunning - great Ben Willsher endpapers & a striking cover. I'm not knowledgeable about previous reprints of this but the stories run like so... The Skinning Room, The Further Dastardly Deeds..., Nadia,  The Fourth Faction,  Elusive, The Assassination List & 4 page Ben Willsher interview & Matt Smith intro. This is s fabulous book at a bargain price. A mild gripe is that many new readers won't know PJ Maybe but it's a great sequel of sorts to the ApocalypseWar. It's good to get some stellar Dredd after a couple of more distant issues.

Spikes

Yeah, the Skinning Room story was included in the first DoC trade. Shame 'Downtime' isn't included. I suspect the Case files will feature it, as part of the DoC, when that one rolls around..

IndigoPrime

I'm looking forward to this one. Mine were supposedly dispatched on June 3, so here soon, with a little luck.

robert_ellis

Has the packaging improved from Hachette & have any prints been sent?

robert_ellis

Maybe Downtime will be saved for a different volume about the Academy? Seems odd otherwise

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: robert_ellis on 10 June, 2015, 08:58:48 PM
A mild gripe is that many new readers won't know PJ Maybe but it's a great sequel of sorts to the Apocalypse War.

Aye, I can understand their wanting to get this stellar story out as soon as possible (if nothing else it's a great advert for the modern prog for those lapsed readers that may have been tempted to pick up the Mega Collection), but it seems a bit of mis-step not to have released a PJ book first.
@jamesfeistdraws

robert_ellis

It'd be even stranger if we don't get any Judge Death before book 2 of Chaos turns up! Much as I've enjoyed Devlin & Shimura this stuff is why I signed up for the collection. Oddly this week's prog stood out as one of the best I'd ever read - Absalom, a strong Dredd & a new Thrill plus great art on Slaine. I really hope the prog sales are up. I was worried that the Purchase of these hachette books would make me ignore the prog but I find myself buying it plus the Meg. Tharg's powers are strong

Zenith 666

The smell of print from my issue is glorious.smells like I'm 9 again and I'm making trip to my local newsagent to buy my prog and it's fresh off the press.

Fluffy Clemmy

Mine were despatched on the 3rd June too. Can anyway advise how long delivery usually is from posting?

moldovangerbil

Quote from: Fluffy Clemmy on 11 June, 2015, 08:32:59 AM
Mine were despatched on the 3rd June too. Can anyway advise how long delivery usually is from posting?

I've found it's usually about a week to 9 days.  If you've not had them by early next week it's probably worth getting in touch with them.  Incidentally, I'm not sure if the date they appear on the Hachette site is necessarily the same as when they're dispatched.  I get the impression they usually send them out after this date.  (My account says 3rd June too btw).